Boycott youtube and google

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Don Piano, Feb 1, 2010.

1. #61 sarahraek, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
    What Google/You tube did was reprehensible. It is censorship of worst kind. Google solicited your questions and gave you a vote which turned out to be meaningless. I personally use Goodsearch as my primary search engine. I get similar results as google and at the same time they give 1 cent to the charity of your choice (mine being Norml) for each search you perform.
    While it is good to question Obama about his stance on marijuana reform, it might serve us all better to concentrate on questioning your reps in congress or state reps. They ultimately make law. If you don't like their answers or non-responsiveness to your concerns, use your constitutional right to vote them out of office and advocate for candidates that do.

2. So you went back and edited your previous posts to clarify that you had made some errors? You should only edit posts for spelling errors, and to expound upon previous ideas. You should make clarifications in following posts. It helps with the congruity of the conversation at hand. Unless your intention is to back peddle and make it look like you were never in error. I think most people posting in a public forum should be aware of that, especially in forums where emotions run high.
    As for my activism, I watched some good friends go down for a little weed. In my state an ounce will get you two years, and with minimum mandatory sentencing, you do the two years. As a younger man I smoked the hell out of pot. After I got out of high school I quit, I felt it would be better for the movement to have an advocate that wasn't a "head". I started getting migraines, 1 a week then two, then three, then one a day... I became a raging alcoholic, a violent raging alcoholic. Most people assumed I had a death wish, maybe they were right. For ten years I suffered Cluster Migraines. They call them "suicide headaches". For at least eight years I had 2-5 a day, from 1 hour to 5 hours in duration. My whole life was consumed with pain, and the thought that I would see the business end of a shotgun blast to get out of it. My Neurologist put me on Topamax, it gave me kidney stones. Can you believe that? Some say that Cluster Migraines are the worst pain imaginable, some say that kidney stones are. Brother, I can tell you from experience that I'll piss a stone a day and be happy if the headaches never come back. Now the whole time I am suffering I'm doing everything I can to help see that some sensible legislation comes into play on marijuana law reform. I didn't necessarily believe that it stopped pain for cancer and aids victims. But I know it can make you feel good even though you feel bad (to quote Sublime), and I know that it can be used for fuel, and clothing and paper, and all kinds of other great things, and I drive a diesel truck; just check out my YouTube page . (Just don't sign in). It is a very beneficial plant, one we are only starting to learn the benefits of. A couple of years ago, as I was getting ready to join the US Border Patrol I started to think about what carrying a gun everyday could lead to. I started doing some research, and there was a guy in Germany that swore pot stopped his migraines. So I literally said "Fuck the police", and I started smoking again. Two months later and I was headache free. After I got my usage under control, (I don't sit and get baked) just a couple of hits every now and then, I ended up stopping drinking altogether. I had some semblance of life back. I realized that people were right, it is medicine, and that put me into the fight for medical marijuana. Although I personally don't agree with it. I think MMJ laws leave a black market for it as a drug, much the same way there is a market for prescription medications. But it is a pain reliever, it is a cure. And there are people out there that suffer, really suffer. And they need it. I always fought the fight from the stand point that it only incarcerates good people, that it is fuel, food, and clothing. That it is environmentally prudent to legalize. But that was a losing battle; today we are so far from where we were that it is hard for me to even think I was an activist back then. Sure I wrote letters, I voiced my opinion, I debated the propaganda. But today, I can talk to the public on TV without worrying about my family, or my career. I can put my picture and name in local papers without threat of arrest or embarrassment. Don't assume I'm in this for myself. I have suffered, and I have made sacrifices. And I am glad that there are new people joining the fight everyday.
    No one asked you to risk your business. Why would you think that? If you get a check from Google then you'd be a fool to tell them to shove it up their ass. Noble, sure. Smart, not by a long shot. But we don't have to support them. Google/YouTube is at fault. Even if Obama's people were the ones that censored Google. The Q&A session was voted on by the public, they put themselves out there in a journalistic capacity, regardless of who citizentube is owned by, and their names were the big draw. And they denied the people their voice. Thomas Jefferson would have flipped his wig.
    You can't deny that we are on he same side. Unfortunately for you, this fight would be biting the hand that feeds so to speak. And if you were just forthright and honest about that we would have busted your balls on it, but we would have let up ON YOU, not Googletube though. They allowed it to happen, and that is unacceptable. So if you are willing to quit taking stabs at me, I'll put my hatchets away. We can agree to disagree, that is what makes this country great. But what if I was a moderator, and I just kept deleting your posts so only my side of the story was told? It would be unfair, to you and the public at large.

No Bucky, I'm not in this for myself. I think we can both agree that intelligent legislation on Marijuana would encompass just about every category in that Q&A. From Jobs, Economy, Healthcare, National Security, and everything in between. It is important to me, and I feel it is important to the world. If you feel the same then we share more common ground then you thought. But you can't argue for Google, not in here, not on this, not after what they did. But by all means take their money. I'm not going to quit using my HTC Hero powered by GOOGLE (I love that fucking thing and I just got it). But I'm not going to click on ad banners, I'm not going to buy or support services that support them, or are supported by them. They are at the very least Hypocrites, they have gained a great deal of press and attention fighting China over censorship only to turn around and do the same thing in the very country that gives them the right to keep their company free of it. To me that is a bigger deal then Marijuana legislation at the moment. I'm sorry if it hurts you personally; imagine what being arrested for possession would do.
    So can we agree that we agree, and quit this childish banter and disagreeing on trivial things, and help you to find a middle ground that you can accept? You don't have to sign in to YouTube, you don't have to click on ad banners, and you can fight them without them ever knowing. Sabotage without sabotaging yourself. I wouldn't ask you to take food from your families mouths. Or weed money from your stash, but I would ask that you refrain from trying to dissuade others from fighting tyranny.
    "All Tyranny needs to gain a foothold, is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    Thomas Jefferson.
    This is tyranny, which is where our country is going. And we can't allow giant moguls to control the information for the Govt.
    If you wish to remain silent, help in other ways. How often do you write your state's legislators? Write more often, ask whether they feel what Google just did was acceptable. It was a public vote, and it was rigged. Write or call local businesses that advertise with Google and tell them. I have, and most of them were shocked to say the least, and more than half that I have talked to said they support Marijuana legalization in one form or another. Most businesses can benefit from it in one way or another, like being able to hire good people with a possession charge on their record, cheaper paper, cheaper fuel, new fabrics, and cheaper clothes. Holistic medicines, organic foods..... The list is endless. You just have to tailor your argument to the people you are talking to.
    Oh' I sell Marijuana, not in bags. I sell it to people that otherwise wouldn't know that they need it or want it, and I sell it to them in the form of an idea, a way that would benefit them. And they don't even have to smoke it or agree with using it as a drug.

So everyone in here should do the same thing, get out there and sell Marijuana, sell it to your friends, families, co-workers, legislators, Pastors, neighbors, and once again the list is endless.
    So if we agree Bucky, then why are we arguing? There are ways you can protest, you don't have to agree with our way (although I suspect you do to an extent) but you can't disagree that something needs to be done. And jumping in with out planning, Brother that is the American way. This is a need and call to action. It isn't acceptable to sit on the fence post on this one. This isn't about pot; this is about something far more heinous, and evil. This is about suppressing the peoples will, free speech, and ultimately their right to be free of tyranny in all of its shapes and colors. This is about FREEDOM.
    And you know that. We don't have to be friends. But we don't have to be enemies either; once again, I'm sorry if this hurts you, but the loss of money over the loss of freedom and our Constitutional rights? I don't even have to ask what is more important do I?
    Fight your fight the way that is best for you and yours. We'll do the same, and if either side becomes a casualty to this insane War on Drugs, then it is that which caused it. I have no will to intentionally hurt anyone's livelihood, for any reason. My fight isn't with you, but if your intent is to protect Google I am the least of your worries, I am only a spoke in the wheel. And one spoke isn't THE wheel.
    Do you agree, or do you wish to continue arguing the same side from different perspectives? Wait until you get married, you'll get enough of that:D
    So is it a truce, or more insanity? I can do insane all day long. LOL

3. #63 L'Oeuvre, Feb 2, 2010
    While Google's actions are simply unjust and while I agree with the spirit of activism, not using Google simply won't change anything. If we want to create some waves, someone of high authority needs to be informed. With a clear and rational understanding what occured before us, as we saw all questions of marijuana nature be ignored completely, even though they were the most common, there is no denying that Google fucked up. Anyone can see that.

Someone mentioned the UCLA earlier, do they really help with this kind of matter? Someone find out who we can persuade, as it only takes a little discourse to fully realize the flaw in the system, and post their contact info here. I'll also personally inform some higher authorities I know.

Also, I haven't looked over the entirety of this thread (although I'm equally as outraged). Can anyone prove that marijuana questions were the most common? I know they were, simply from seeing them at the top of all the boards, but to persuade others there must be a very formal burden of proof.

4. I mentioned ACLU, just pissed and throwing out some ideas, I don't know if they deal with that kind of thing, although their name implies thay do. I'm writing every Congressman, and Senator, that I can think of, and Definately the ones who support Marijuana in one way or another. I am also writing Businesses that advertise with Google, and calling local businesses. The majority of them are equally as shocked as we are. Bad publicicty is still publicity. But I think they'll have to answer for it. As for proof, there is a link in here that takes you to a google feedback blog. On that site they say over 55,000 people voted on 11,000 questions. But the link they provide to whitehouse.org says that 630,000 people voted on 11,000 questions. That number is closer to what was reported on youtube/citizentube earilier in the day. And I'm sure a savvy person could still find it somewhere. Like Fox Mulder used to say, "the truth is out there". Yeah, this is Fukked up. Might as well wipe their corporate asses on the Constitution while they are at it. They complain about China and they are just as bad.

5. Obama Avoids Questions About Legalizing Marijuana (Again) | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)

6. Some people are straight tripp'n up in here.

We know Obama's position. Legalization is small fish. He's got bigger fish to fry.

I've said this before, we're gonna win this fight state by state, county by county, city by city. Getting all huffy puffy over what the president will not respond to is a waste of time. We neen to focus on developing local and regional organizations to help change our local laws. Get involved with your local and state governments. Make some friends. Don't get arrested! WE NEED YOUR VOTE!

You want a boycott? I mean a real fucking boycott? Then let's boycott the entire way of life. Compile a list of marijuana friendly businesses and do business with them. Eat organic, all natural food. Grow your own vegatables, among other things:D. Cultivate the culture that supports us. boycotting google and youtube will not have much of an impact. Besides, google and youtube are both a valuable tool to advance our means. Why shoot ourselves in the foot? Use their technology against them to fullfill our goals.:smoking:

7. This.

8. Hahaa.. I used the google tool bar to search "boycott google" yesterday, and then my laptop froze for about a good ..7 seconds. :confused: Coincidence?

I THINK NOT! IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!! :eek::eek::eek:

:smoke:

jk. But I really did google, "boycott google" --just because I felt like it. And then I tried using Ask search engine for a day... meh, it just doesn't compare. :cool:

9. #70 PennLaxPlayer, Feb 2, 2010
    It is agitating me that this happened. It was the highest voted. America basicly boils down to who votes on what. Some local law changes are determined by popular vote, and in certain areas, are mostly decided by the older retired generations. The said laws are determined not by people with no free time, but people with adequate time AND people who care deeply about a subject.

So why should it be different in the case of this question vote. We voted for marijuana, and they basicly tell us to fuck off.

But when a law is passed as a result of mostly retired peoples voting for it, they don't stop the legislation because their is a high amount of one generation voting.

So now when the younger generation votes on something, and the elders don't, we get fucked?

I am switching my search engine off of google. I always have loved their policy on privacy, but now that they are hand in hand with youtube, I feel I would rather risk my private info falling in the hands of ask-jeeves(Which I believe is non-youtube.), then deal with a company that is manipulating the political scene.

Edit: I couldn't go into a bingo hall and ask everyone to raise their hand when I say their favorite food, and then afterwards tell certain folks their vote is irellavant because most of society likes pizza over wings. Meanwhile most of the room likes wings more.

This is one of the few times I am having trouble expressing my feelings through words and it is quite annoying.

10. Could it be, the problem is with Obama and his staff of advisors. It may have been presented and dodged at the source. Many times at pre-press conf you are told what will be addressed and what wont.

11. granted, i'm as steamed as anyone else... but would youtube and/or google really pay attention if their free services were no longer being used by a selection of users?

i'd think if you really want to stick it to them, overload their bandwidth. upload as many videos as you can, watch as many videos as you can.

a bit more like a boycott, however, you could boycott any and all sites that use google links or rely on google advertising or revenue derived from google... but to boycott them specifically and directly would likely not have much of an effect on them.

it'd be like no longer watching fox or whatever station... that's not going to make much difference... you have to boycott the products that are advertised on their stations and tell those companies how you feel.

12. Although I agree somewhat, I have to tell you state by state has taken 70 years. And there are only 14 so far. 15 if Delaware goes for it. As much as I (we) promote activism, it wasn't activism that changed alcohol prohibition. They even tried medicinal beer and had some fleeting success with it. But it started a backslide as the few states people quit advocating for their neighboring states. No, we won't win state by state. That is a losing strategy.
    What people need to do is start advocating, and educating the public on jury nullification. That is what ended alcohol prohibition. Juries refused to convict, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. The problem is that judges almost never, if ever, allow it. But if the public is aware that they should not convict for marijuana offenses going in, then it should be gravy. I actually got busted a few weeks ago. I haven't seen any charges yet, but I'm taking it to the jury. And I am going to let them know that they don't have to convict me if they feel that the law is unjust. Then I am going to explain the TRUTH about prohibition, Anslinger, Mellon, Hearst, DuPont, and the whole shebang. Once I show that the law was manipulated for their personal gain. How Congress was lied to about the AMA's testimony, and the multi-trillion dollar (by todays standards) industry that was stolen from America..... Good luck getting a conviction. Hell, the new stats show that there are 3.5 million people+/- in the US. 8 out of 10 support MMJ, and 45+% agree with total legalization. That puts at least three on every jury. So that is my defense. Part of the reason we never see it used is because of DA's and their bullshit plea bargains. It's funny how they started being overzealous on charges and and really pushed the plea bargain concept right after alcohol prohibition was repealed.

QUOTE=Green Wizard;6663944]Some people are straight tripp'n up in here.
    We know Obama's position. Legalization is small fish. He's got bigger fish to fry.

I've said this before, we're gonna win this fight state by state, county by county, city by city. Getting all huffy puffy over what the president will not respond to is a waste of time. We neen to focus on developing local and regional organizations to help change our local laws. Get involved with your local and state governments. Make some friends. Don't get arrested! WE NEED YOUR VOTE!

You want a boycott? I mean a real fucking boycott? Then let's boycott the entire way of life. Compile a list of marijuana friendly businesses and do business with them. Eat organic, all natural food. Grow your own vegatables, among other things:D. Cultivate the culture that supports us. boycotting google and youtube will not have much of an impact. Besides, google and youtube are both a valuable tool to advance our means. Why shoot ourselves in the foot? Use their technology against them to fullfill our goals.:smoking:[/QUOTE]

13. I actually LOVE that idea, I don't have any plans on getting caught with a stash, but I think that would be an approach I'd be willing to try.

14. lmao.... why waste time, 10 million people could boycott google and youtube, and they would just laugh. The two biggest online names world wide...lol!

15. Jesus Christ!!

These people are amazing!! It seems they think if they just ignore the challenge, it is just going to go away.

Fuck man...they ignore incredibly important and potentially HUGE savings that would come from legalizing marijuana, and discuss Neutrality instead.

I am blown away completely. Well, not completely. But it is scary.

I am sure that if they could make money from cannabis, they would...but for some fucking reason, they turn a blind eye to the most important question(s) asked.

Fucking lame. Very fucking lame.

What we need to do is boycott any fucking mega corp that would stand in the way of legalization.

Thanks for the Heads Up, Don.

16. I agree, but at the same time it sucks that they pretty much silence our voices, when it's something that is obviously of SOME concern to a few thousand people, of more concern than other questions apparently.

Just some clarification would be nice.

17. I've watched many cannabis-related clips and documentaries on YouTube. If they were indeed "anti" cannabis, wouldn't logic dictate that they wouldn't allow ANY cannabis-related content on their site? :confused: I think the calls for boycott are premature at best. We have no idea where the directive to not include this question originated from.

18. Google also logs your IP adress, and all of your searches, they have everything you put in your search engine on record. they could hand that over to the feds and they could start an investigation on you for whatever reason if they felt like it.
    they won't because that wouldn't be too good for business, but if it was requested...

much better alternative that DOESN"T track your IP adress www.startpage.com