Boy has shoulder made from elbow

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sam_Spade, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Interesting, but an elbow only has one axsis of movement, a shoulder has two... But I guess this is better than having nothing at all.

I look forward to seeing if nano tech wil ever advance enough in my life time to make more reliable artificial limbs and organs.

2. We've had artifical hearts for years, and probably other organs, too, and a few years ago they've developed cybernetic limb technology the the point where they actually gave at least two people (can't remember their names, but the last name of one was Sullivan, and the other was a soldier), one of whom had lost both his arms from an intense electric discharge or something and the other lost her arm in a war. There are videos of them all over the place, and it's pretty amazing to see the range of motion and dexterity those arms have.

3. I'm aware of the abiocor(artificial heart)... But I'd like something where you don't need to wear an external battery pack.

As for the artificial limbs you mentioned, I'm pretty sure those were just the advancements of being able to pick up certain nerves firing and activating the corresponding actuator.

No, you misunderstood me... I was meaning something more along the lines of iRobot or Starwars... Something that looks like and behaves more like a natural limb.

4. i have a resident at the nursing home i work at who had her elbow removed. it goes from her forearm to her bicep and hangs limp. lol its also infecta with MRSA

5. what good does having a shoulder do if you no longer have a arm?