Boxing

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by soapman, Nov 19, 2009.

1. So I've been feeling really bored lately with my daily "routine" I don't know if it's something everybody goes through. I mean so bored that I've been thinking about joining a military branch. Anyway I was thinking about signing up for some boxing lessons and seeing how that goes for now. Does anybody here box, would you reccommend it for a stoner. I'm in okay shape, so it's not really to get whipped into shape, I just need somthing to do I guess.

2. theres places that dont charge where im from and u cant smoke ciggs and box and u have to keep the weed to a min. they will prob tell u to run 2-4 miles 2-5 days a wk. on your own time and they will work u hard at the gym. if u dont plan on sparing or having any fights i guess u can smoke and do whatever u want but they might get pissed your not taking it seriously and think ur wasting there time

3. Yea... in all honesty, boxing is a very hard sport for a smoker. I cannot think of a more cardio intensive activity. Buy a punching bag and beat the shit out of it for 10 minutes, if you can. You'll see what I mean.

Get yourself a bag and workout on that for a while before you join a gym or something, they can be found pretty cheap on craigslist, I picked up an 80 lb for 25 bucks.

4. Hmmm...there's this boxing gym I may go check out later today, I think they charge like 130 for a month of how ever many lessons I can fit in that month. I figure I would want to be there like 3 days a week. I dunno when I'm just starting but we'll see, it looks like fun. I would like to spar, if that means I gotta give up weed a little more than so be it.

5. You need a lot of conditioning before you spar. I used to box on the regular. When we had new recruits into our class, they spent the first 5 weeks, 5 days a week, doing pushups, squats, jump rope, bridges, etc. After those 5 weeks they could touch a bag. After about a month on a bag, then we could spar. Boxing is a commitment.

6. I think right now that's what I'm looking for...a commitment

7. Ok, so I just smoked a lil bit, and now I'm all thinkin and shit. Real life boxing gyms aren't like on Rocky are they? I mean I'm not gonna get a bunch of hardcore/beefy ass guys lookin at me like "what they hell are you doin here?" am I. That would be really awkward I guess.

8. well i smoke all day, and i also take boxing, brazilian jiu jitsu, and muy tai kickboxing. The benefits are you get into great shape. you gain a ton of self confidence. you can beat the living shit out of most people after a couple of years. dealers look at my 5'10" height and arent impressed. however, then they see my hard work at the weights and think twice about fuckin me over. class times are flexible so u can smoke late, wake up late, hold down a job, or whatever. its also pretty cool to not get angry as much since im pretty confident that i can win most fights (street fights that is) so i dont even bother.

9. but after re-reading this, maybe i came over too macho? sorry bout that. as far as the peeps in the gyms, the guys at boxing are kinda macho and flooded with testosterone, but at the MMA classes, everybody is really disciplned, really helpful, and theres no egos. plus Ty Garrett, the instructor, is a badass. heres the site: About Extreme Martial Arts

10. That's not very encouraging

11. Boxing to get in shape is one thing, boxing to be a professional boxer is another. I don't recommend the other... the amount of blows these guys take to the dome is disheartening. I don't approve of the physical side of boxing; its pointless. When it comes to fighting I prefer MMA, and as a physical sport it's also great, in its own right.

12. #13 Overflow, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2009
    Ive been boxing for about 6 months now, and i fucking love it. Gives me a hell of a lot of confidence and I am, for once in my life.. fit. This time last year I couldn't run 200m without gaining a stitch, now I can do nearly as much as the guys that've been doing it for years. Don't think about it, just do it, go down to your local club, say your new and you're commited, they will only take notice in you if you go everytime, and push yourself 110% each session.

It is not for the light hearted, if you're scared to work hard and take a punch don't go, you will only waste their time. If you're still up for it, start training now, the trainers will focus on getting you fit before anything else, go for runs, jump rope, hit the gym (no heavy weights, cardio and high reps - NO RESTING IN THE GYM!). Check out youtube videos for basic techniques.

Keep us posted about how this goes man, good luck!

Oh yeah and edit, about the smoking side of things - QUICK SMOKING FAGS NOW! Limit your drinking and smoking weed as much as your can, try not to smoke every day and lay off the blunts. Investing in a vaporizer is always a good road to go down.

13. Before getting into such a physically demanding sport, do yourself a favor and pick up a vaporizer. Kick the smoking except for rare occasions and just vape. You'll do just fine.

14. Best sport in the world. Good choice.

I have never felt the need to cut down weed due to any performance reasons. But I see many reasons why they don't go well together for others.

Where you training ~at?

15. too bad you dont live in nj. im joining a boxing club in a week and was looking for a gym buddy. My friends are all too damn lazy.

16. threads like the story of my life the last year or two...

thats exactly what i was going through when i graduated high school. i was bored and directionless. i was thinking about the military and might very well be in the military right not for starting boxing and now getting serious about it. go for it

i got a vape for this purpose. its great. but every now and then ill smoke a blunt cuz i love them too much