boveda packs suck ass

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by txbud997, Dec 31, 2017.

1. tried these with my latest batch. So far couldn't hold humidity to save their ass.

2. Why do you want to hold humidity ?

I always dry my bud until you can pop a nug in between your fingers and crumble it without a grinder.

3. for curing in between smoking.

4. #4 killset, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    How many grams was the boveda pack you used and what size of a container? We're you opening the container alot? How often?

How wet/dry was the bud when you put it in the jar?

Did you buy from boveda or a second hand supplier. I've gotten some from a second hand supplier that must of been old. Order directly from boveda.

Bovedas are awesome and will keep right around their intended humidity if used correctly. Hygrometer proven over and over again

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. never had an issue with them, jar must be air tight, right size pack for the container size.
    They should be soft and very easy to fold and such, if they feel "hard" or "crunchy" there done'so.

They always hold 62% steady, id make sure your hydrometer is putting out the proper reading.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Check out their 58% sometime. I always ran 62s until the last time I ordered. I'm staying with 58s now

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Usually when people have issues with boveda it's because they didn't use the right size for the container, they open it too much or the cannabis wasn't dried properly in the first place so it takes forever or may never get to where it should be.

Saying they're not old packs of course.
    Are they completely liquid/gel feeling? Anything hard or crunchy? Almost like salt or grains of sand feeling? They eventually turn hard.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm buying 58's next time too, i find 62 is just a little too high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ya. With the 62s I would take out what I thought I would need for the next couple days and let it dry some. 58s I'm not doing that anymore.

11. If you read comments on the 62% packs many people will recommend 58% instead. 58% is better for long term storage. If you want to draw out the cure you can start with a higher humidity pack and work your way down after a few weeks.

My local shop carries integra boost 55% packs so that's what I tried last grow. I really liked them. I like dry bud. I didn't really open my jars hardly at all after about two weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bought on amazon from boveda, not second hand. packs are liquid and not expired.
    Large pack
    Quart sized glass jar

the weed was 4 days dried when put into a jar. and a week until the boveda pack was put in.

the whole point is for it to control the humidity, whether the weed is a bit dry or a little wet. it is not

13. Not really ... to wet and the pack will struggle maintaing the moisture. With only a 4 day dry unless you have extremly dry conditions im willing to bet it was still to wet or the jars weren't sealed well. You still need to dry it decently. Little dry or wet sure, not wet though.

2nd hand resaler, who knows how old they were. What size large pack? There's a couple different sizes. Any pics?

How often were you opening the jars?

14. the largest pack that will fit in a quart size jar.
    the packs are still completely liquid, therefore the are not expired.

I was burping the jars, which would only have had a positive effect because the RH in my home is less than what is in the jars.

Bottom line: This fucking weed is dry enough, it's been two weeks. I didn't just cut it and shove it in the jar.

What the hell is the point of a humidity control pack that doesn't control the humidity?

15. #15 killset, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Settle down man. Something was wrong with what was going on and were just trying to figure it out.

Boveda packs work when done right. Something was going on with what you were doing is all.

If you had to burp and the humidity was too high either the buds were too wet, or the humidity packs were shot or wrong size. One or the other bro. Not a big deal and an easy fix either way. Dry more and get your packs straight from boveda. The large 67 gram packs just so you know are for quart jars. Dried correctly with the correct size pack and burping is uneccessary.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Well said. Funny because I do regret getting so many 62%. I didn't know half the time and it was one of those things that I jumped on a little too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. There is a way to recharge them with distilled water I believe
    Do a search, its here or on google I was reading
    Maybe a video on youtube it was a while ago.
    All my packs have done well

18. here

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm going to stay on topic here with my question.

I have three smaller amounts of different weed. Two of them are pretty dry but still smokeable and are high quality.
    I bought three small cvault containers with Boveda 62% humidity packs. I place each small amount in one of the containers with the boveda inside.
    Two days later the weed looks normal but smells like hay and tastes... well, bad. It's almost like smoking ash.
    We are talking a small amount, maybe three grams each. The weed does get moist but that's were it ends. I've now removed the boveda's from the cvaults and see where it goes. The weed tastes like it's very low quality fresh bud. Have I done something really wrong? Was the amount too low? Can anyone shed some light on this because the next time I'd like to buy a bigger quantity that's fresh (5 grams each) but now I'm scared it will get ruined with the boveda's inside.

20. I love the boveda packs. Sometimes people have a tendency to blame the equipment rather than questioning their methods.