Bounch of questions from a new grower

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by doss, Jul 6, 2010.

1. #1 doss, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
    Hello everybody, I have decided its about time i start growing my own stuff, so iv been reading alot the last two days on this forum, and been doing a hole lot of searching but i still end up with a few short ended answers on some parts, i wish you could help me out there.

1. If i start planting my very first plants, can i just put them in a closet within a plastic container to keep the humidity inside and keep them completely in darkness as long as i control the temperature to be around 18-20 degress C. Will they need fresh air in this first state before they sprout? If so, can i put them out in my window at night to give them some fresh air? Or should i let them stay in my closet for a few days until they sprout so i can move them to a bigger pot and place them in my window?

2. Can I plant in my basement window that gets light the hole day(only about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight). Can open a window to cool it down and give it fresh air.

3. What soil what would you recommend me using? Or what kind of mix? If i would take normal dirt from my backyard how would that effect the plant compared to if i bought some?

4. Can i grow my plant without using all kinds of ferts to help its growth? If so, how much would that effect the plants harvest? Taste and weight wise. If not, what kind of ferts do you recommend for the first 4 weeks?

5. After about 4 weeks when the plant reaches its 8” to 1’ tall, can i swap to 12/12 without using SOG? Whats the normal wait time before you start triggering flowering for your plant? or can you just let nature take its way?

6. Can i grow my plant without using pH and EC devices? If i dont use them, how will that effect my plant? How does the EC work with the plants harvest if you apply it after 4 weeks?(what does it do better for the plant or soil?)

Thank you very much, i really hope you can help me out here, because I am so excited about starting my own growth.

2. 1. They are fine in the closet until they sprout

2. Sure, but don't expect much from the lant if this is the only form of light it's going to get.......not much at all

3. A. Fox Farms Ocean Forest B. Don't know what the composition of your soil is, crap shoot

4. A. You can grow it, it just won't put out very much B. If you usde the soil above, you won't need ferts till flowering

5. Yes, you can switch it today if you want, it's the growers call when to switch. Most people veg for 4-8 weeks. A SOG has nothing to do with this grow. A SOG is a lot of plants, all kept small by a quick switch to flower, usually 1 per ft

6. A ph pen is a must. It tells you where you stand, what needs to be done etc. I'd buy a $100 ph pen before I bought nutes p[ersonally

3. Thank you very much, helped me alot.

So basically your saying i should use Fox Farmers Ocean Forest as soil? And if i use this soil then i wont have to use any ferts until 6 weeks into the process where i can swap to PK 13/14?

Basically my plan atm looks like this:

i start out with placing them in a closet until they sprout then i move them to my window where i possible can buy a CFL?or i can go for a HPS lamp with 18/6 ratio when the plant is 4" tall? after that i wait for 6th week and start using 12/12 to start the flowering process while i use PK 13/14 as my only fert since iv been using soil Fox Farmers Ocean Forest i wont have to use anything else?

How do you think it will be? Am i missing something? Could i be using a better soil or do it differently with the soil and the ferts? Use different soil with more ferts to get a better end result?

As for the pH i just want to check the pH value of the water fast before i give it to the plant and the soil? And i want to keep it around 6,5-7 pH value? If it decreases or increases i can use Nitric or Phosphoric acid or to raise the pH i can use Potassium hydroxide.?

Thanks again very much.

4. pk 13/14, is that a Canna product? Not familiar with their stuff, I use the Fox farms line

hps/mh over cfl, all day long

correct, use FFOF and you won't need ferts till week 6, should you veg that long

That's a top notch soil, especially matched with their nute line

Yes, FFOF is already at 6.5 Adjust anything you add to the pot,...water, water/feed, whatever, adjust it to 6.5 and you'll never have a ph issue. (the main reason for many nute deficiencies

You're welcome :wave: