Bought my first lamp, questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by primatime, Aug 4, 2017.

1. so today i got a lamp/reflector at my local hydroponics shop and i wanted to know if i would be able to grow two plants using this light set up. It is a hydrofarms mini sunburst 150w HPS. Heres a pic of how it looks when its on, it may get brighter than this, i only had it on for a minute or so [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Be pushing it with 2... imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. What if i were to add a couple of 60w cfls?

4. Yeah man could do that is well, I have a 1000w LED but only 710 true watts and Doing 4... just google "how many plants can I grow with a 150w HPS" and it will come up what you can do

5. I have 4 60w CFL bulbs from a failed previous grow attempt but i need to get lamps for them. I may definitely look into it, i totally forgot about those. Im just growing bagseed so im trying not to get my hopes up lol getting clones regardless. May use the CFLs to grow bagseed and HPS for a clone

6. Should just save the money and get a proper set up man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nothing wrong with your set up as a starter kit... Just grow one plant at a time, and if u put those CFLs to any good use... use them for propagation and early stages of veg... Or all of veg... Hps is usually for flower. (Look up hps spectrum vs mh spectrum and you'll understand why they're different, sold separately, and their purpose)

Essentially, u will probably end up throwing that 150w in the closet (eventually) and just investing in a 600w mh/hps kit or a (full spectrum) led set up.

If u want to grow for large yields to make money, then u need better lighting as well as a better understanding of your craft. But for personal enjoyment, by all means you are on the right path. Do you have a tent or box? And you will need fans seeing that hps gets hot (even tho it's only 150w the spectrum of hps will have your girls stretching til no end) and some way to exhaust the old hot air away from your plants.

Kudos for investing in yourself @primatime don't stop. One plant can yield plenty of super duper dank.

My first grow ever was 1 og kush seed by Canuk in a 2*4 tent under two 144w (true watt) LED's and I got 139g dry.

I'm only on my second grow but the info is free so I indulge and, well... As a result, I'm looking at another plant that's barely 3-4 ft tall and she's promising at least 175-200g in the same tent with the same lights. Again, that's 1 seed (Acapulco Gold by Barney's Farm) vegged for 13wks been in flower for 4 weeks so far.

My point is...

Just grow one plant. They still represent LIFE in this UNIVERSE and it is unfair to bring life into this world when you can't provide adequate care. Hence, what is neglect of a plant or two and who cares? I call that murder, but hey who TF am I?

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 primatime, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Thanks for your reply man, very informative and ill definitely keep all of that in mind. Right now im just growing for personal enjoyment and for a better understanding because i do want to keep growing and keep learning more about these amazing plants. So are you saying i wouldnt be able to use the HPS for veg? I planned on adding 1 60w bulb once it starts getting a lil bigger. As for a tent, i dont have one im just growing in my walk in closet. I also planned on getting some sort of house fan for basic air flow. Also what are your thoughts on putting reflective material on the walls? Im using the space i have without having to spend too much right now

9. An average setting for a grow room is 10,000 lumens per square foot. Or a 1000w HPS in a 4x4 area. You really need to see how many lumens your bulb produces and then divide by 10,000 and that how many sq ft you have of adequate light. It takes about 1 sq ft per plant or you can just SCROG and gain about 40% efficiency by utilizing all of your areas. If I had to guess your 150w puts out about 16,000 lumens so you have 1.6 sq ft of grow canopy you can use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Would i be able to keep my plant where i have the lights hanging or would i need a smaller space? I really dont want to buy a tent because this is my first grow

11. you should buy a tent and get proper ventilation some great info on this site for that. It will be worth it in the long run because when you start running 150w 12 hours a day it starts to get hot. The tents allow for super easy duct work. That also means you need fans you can probably outfit a legit first time grow for around $500 that includes lights, tent, fans, controllers, outlets etc. Trust me you'll just keep running into problems if you don't spend the right amount of money first. It's barriers to entry. So to answer your question yes and no. yes, you can do them from there but you'll most likely make it too hot for them. They don't like it above 85F. And no I wouldn't keep them there because also with a tent they come with mylar which helps get more efficiency from your light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Couldnt i get reflective material for the walls? I plan on getting all that stuff later on down the line after i have a couole of personal grows under my belt, im getting everything little by little i just dont have the cash to just grab all that stuff ya know so im trying to make the best out of what ive currently got

13. Hey you can try and see where you fail and fix it next time it'll work you'll figure it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. its a good starting point, no doubt. I think you will be able to do 1 plant, no problem. However any more than that will be surely pushing it. I just upgraded to a 1000w hps and holy shit what a difference. cant believe I fucked around with all the cheaper stuff for so long. The light is probably the second most important thing to the plant next to the growing medium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 2*2 tent is $35 on eBay (my veg tent)
    2*4 tent is $48 on eBay (my bloom tent)
    IMG_20170716_021440.jpg
    In the end, it's worth just getting things piece by piece. No one can rush u, it's your money and they are your plants.

If you're anything like me you will LOVE your plants so much that buying tents and fans and nutes and humidifiers and dehumidifiers, and better lights, carbon filter, and ducting, and better lights, and buckets for dwc and... well, better lights, and then Coco to try for a first and even still... better lights, and so on and so forth... But it will become second nature. We want our girls to thrive! You will end up spending the money sooner than u think, especially if you have a seed germed already lol... Otherwise, hold off on growing until after or once u have all the aforementioned items.

What will you do if u go a full months time veg, add 2-4 weeks of bloom and then find out u have a male plant?

But like I said earlier, to play around for personal enjoyment, you've hit the ground running. Just don't frustrated yourself.

But yes get sum mylar packs for $5 on eBay or at your shop, wrap those walls and get a fan to blow on your plant when she's big enough. Do you know you're rh level in the area you plan on using to grow? Seal any cracks so no light gets in during your dark period.

GLG

• Like Like x 1
  16. I dont think air circulation will be a problem once i throw a fan in. As far as blocking out light, i seen these blackout curtain type things at target that ill probably get once i reach that point

17. Just planted my seed into FFOF after germination, i sprayed the top of the soil with 6.0 leveled water and hopefully soon ill have a little more progress

18. Heres an update on my seed, currently day 2 in soil and theres been nice changes in growth in the last 24 hours. Planted in a 1-gal pot of ocean forest mix, only one 60w cfl for now but i plan on adding another fairly soon. Watering 1-2 tbsp per day. Any tips appreciated [​IMG]

19. I grew successfully in my walk in closet. I had aluminum foil up but took it down since the walls were white anyways. It was in these shelves and I took the bottom two out so it's like 1.5'x2'x4'. I just used an oscillating fan 24/7 to blow the hot air out and I kept the door cracker when lights were on. Worked fine for me on a budget grow. 6 43 true watt cfl's. I don't know how the heat from your 150 watt hps will compare to my setup but it's totally manageable. You can try using a car sun reflector surrounding your plant. Good luck! [​IMG]

20. Glad to know someone has had success, my walls are white but i want to get as much light as i can so im definitely looking into reflective materials. Im going to try and see if i can get a deal on some grow stuff this weekend so hopefully my grow space wont be an issue much longer. Also where did you get the light socket? Does that plug straight in?