Bottom leaves yellowed and fell off

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tryitoutside, Jul 9, 2007.

1. This was posted in a different thread originally...

It's on the subject of plants getting too much rain outside. Someone said plants would be fine until the bottom leaves started to turn yellow. My question is this:

What if the bottom two sets of fan leaves DID turn yellow... then they fell off! Is the little girl going to be ok? Right now she's about 6 weeks old and has shown her pre-flowers after about 7 nodes appeared. It was started on LST as soon as it was presexed and there's probably another two weeks of LST work to do before it's to be left alone to flower. It's in a small ass pot (1 gal.) because the idea is to keep the plant small. The plant only covers about 1/3 of the pot's surface area. Is that normal for LST and a ridiculous amount of rain?

2. It was suggested that if LSTing in pots, especially one thats about 1 gal., the plant should be planted in a 3'x3'x3' hole, then there are no worries about rain.

If this were an option, it probably would already be in the ground. It's in a pot in the first place because it needs to allow for quick transportation.

A compromise just came over. What if the majority of the bottom of the pot were cut out and the pot were buried about 6 inches deep? Then in theory wouldn't water drain better and the roots would have more grow space all the while leaving a structure to LST ont? It would still allow for quicker transportation than if it were totally buried. Obviously if a transplant were needed from location to location, the whole pot could be dug up and the root ball would come with it for the most part.

Would the big hole in the bottom idea worK?

3. as I posted in the last thread, put the plant in the ground if your LST training
    youll increase the yield

a couple yellow bottom leaves are not enough to freak about every plant has a couple bottom leaves that go south

are you feeding the plant

4. Well yeah. Anyone who does any gardening should know that yellow leaves happen. It's a sign of overwatering. Duh.

Increasing yield by putting it in the ground seems to be a good idea, but again it needs to be easily transportable which is why the hole in the bottom of the current pot will do well. Any other input on this idea? The reason I ask about this theory is because it seems to provide a lot of options if things go wrong and if the roots start growing out of the pot and into the ground it will increase yield, right? It can still be pulled out of the ground, it will drain better, it gives a structure on which to LST... this theory needs to be tested.

This plant is unfed. It was started in some Miracle Gro garden soil... bad idea. Too time released. The plant was getting burned all the way through seedling stage. So it was transplanted into Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil. Now that some of the rain has drained, today is actually the day that feeding will begin. Once a week the plant will be given the appropriate mixture of Advance Nutrients fertilizer in its water.

5. no dude the big hole and putting it in the ground, was meant not to be in the pot still, but if you need to move it ? maybe you just need to find a better place now

if you must move it dont put the pot in the ground , actually you may need to rotate the pots to keep the roots from getting started in the ground thru the drain holes

6. First off, this plant is this grower's first plant. He's never grown past seedling stage. So he's new to it. Since I am quite a handy gardener and I collect knowledge on the internet for him, I'm just trying to come up with solutions to his problems. He's trying to keep his plant nearby and on the downlow (literally and figuratively), all while experimenting with yield-increasing techniques and studying the different phases of growth so next summer he can do a full-size plant that actually does go in the ground.

Second off, I think he's going to try rooting it in the ground like previously stated (the holes in the bottom of the pot). I don't think he minds having it root in the ground and I think he's willing to accept the consequences of letting it root in the ground a little bit or even a lot (depending on if and when this plant has to be moved). If a hole in the bottom will let the plant grow a little less stunted and a little more healthily like I think it should, he will be able to take a shovel and pull out a huge chunk of dirt with the roots still fully intact and put it in a big pot while transporting it to its next location.

Again, these are just my ideas of how to help this guy out, but I think it'll work. Can anyone come up with any better ideas or really big problems with this theory?

7. good questions, i will be reading w/ u

8. yes this will work, but if your willing to take that risk, I personally would go all the way put it in the ground, & LST the plant or..........

I have had situations where my plants were in 5 gal buckets in the swamp, when they became rootbound I then cut the bottom off the plants bucket & inserted this cut bucket into another 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of fresh soil.....this way you overcome the stunting, without transplanting stress and they are still mobile plants.

you can still LST the plant, I use string and duct tape to the sides of the buckets, the duct tape can be repositioned lower as the plant relaxes each time you train it.