Botanicals

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MI Wolverine, Nov 30, 2011.

1. It's good until its gone lol. But if at any time it smells alcoholic drink it! Naw lol, dump it lol.

SD

2. Does not apply to aloe though! ! I bubbled the fresh product before, let's just say I had to buy another air stone.

SD

You hip to these sprout teas the old man is raving about on the other side?

Sent from my HaGGarD ass phone......fap

3. I can vouch for SSTs (sprouted seed teas) yes. It's not like he (the old man) really needs any vouching but yes it does work and work well indeed! There's a lot that's going on though with the process and the "newest" discovery of this little journey is that professional malt masters have it right. So basically going to your local brew store and picking up some powdered diastatic malted barley is good as gold! Bubble it for a while and you're good. There's lots of science that backs what was researched but basically there are many benefits to the SSTs like:
    First and foremost microbial food
    Various PGRs / hormones
    Plant specific enzymes
    Plant specific bio pesticides and I'm sure others that I can't remember at the moment lol.

But yes, in a real living organic soil SSTs are very effective! I will back up that statement.

SD

4. Oooh, some more of SD's links to browse soon?

Not quite there yet with the enzyme teas, but I'll be along shortly.

5. #1005 Chunk, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013

And.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sti_tuBiv5g

Lol sorry for the lack of activity. This new interface is a little different for me, especially since I typically used the iPhone/iPad apps.
    That coupled with work, has kept me a little outside of the loop.

Lol, if you ask me the Chunk daddy's opinion matters more than mine! Lol

7. What kind of air pumps are you guys using to make botanical teas? And are air stones also being used or just the pump and tubing? I'm looking for a air pump that will be able to bubble and agitate two 5 gal buckets at the same time and runs quiet, anyone know of a good one?

8. I don't use any air pump for these teas. Just stir or shake the container as often as possible for a few days and use it. Mine is a gallon at a time in a used/cleaned milk jug.

^^^+1

10. Any milk jugs ever explode on you guys by doing this? What I understand is that a pump is not needed for these teas but it gets the job done faster by constantly agitating the ingredients with the water.

Explode, No. However I have had them swell up quite a bit...:devious: Accidentally screwed the lid tight...Won't do that twice.

Nothing wrong with using an air pump imho, I'm just trying to save some pennies.

12. So anybody have any quiet air pump suggestions?

13. I don't have any experience with a quiet air pump. I used vibration eliminating material to help buffer the reverberation. 

14. Alita air pumps. They aren't cheap, but I've seen these bad boys at work in some harsh as environments. Aquaculture industry. IIRC, Jerry has one for his big 15 gallon brewer. They are quiet.

+1^^^
    That was going to be my suggestion Ficky! 

16. I've made my first alfalfa botanical tea and I'm wondering how much I should dilute it for a foliar spray, if at all. I mixed up 1 cup of alfalfa pellets to roughly 2 or 3 cups of water in a jar and I've been shaking it up for the past three days. Should I use a cup per gallon since its only been sitting for a few days? Any opinions are appreciated, Thanks!

My opinon. It is not imperative that you do dilute it but just for prudence sake if you don't dillute it, sample it on some lower growth, wait 24 hours, and you will know if it is safe to use full strength. I'm betting there is no harm or foul by using it undilluted but there could be some extenuating variables not considered by me saying so.

Your mixture must be as thick as stew and look a lot like a pesto dish by now. A few weeks ago I made an alfalfa tea for outdoor use and used ~3cups of pellets in ~5gal of water and thought to myself that the next time I would tone it back some. I think you will be safe to take your 2-3 cups of mixture and dillute it in 1-2 gallons of good water, let it settle, strain the liquid (easily accomplished) put in a sprayer or a mister bottle and have fun with it. Your plants will enjoy the foliar BUT they will enjoy the alfalfa au jus much better as a drench. Once the liquid is gone use the remaining particulate matter as top dressing, addition to the compost bin, or mix it in with a fresh batch of soil. Just don't pitch it as it has great remaining value as a soil conditioner.

Whatever route you take just don't overdo any one thing. Balance. That's just MHO.