Botanicals

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MI Wolverine, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Jerry,

This is a community garden plot I was involved with last year. There is comfrey growing along the edges of the corner plot. This is all blow over from comfrey that went to seed.

During the veggie grow last year, I would pull little comfrey starts as though I were weeding. Of course you can't really pull it roots and all, so the rhizomes would re-grow.........:eek: I'm thinking it's gonna be impossible to ever control.

Chunk

2. Good thinking! :wave:

3. Look at the answer I just found on a "Lawn" website...

The only way to beat Comfrey is to keep treating it with RoundUp until you exhaust the energy stores in its roots.

Monsanto strikes again.

4. :eek: But recent scientific studies done show roundup is linked with birth defects, cancer, pollution, and much worse.. Although the Chinese competitors are giving Monsanto a run for their money it would seem since their patent expired...From Wikipedia

5. pen off some hogs in the area you want the comfrey gone.

i know its quite impractical for a community garden.....but hell, they will go through it! roots and all!

that would probably be the best way to get rid of it......but you know the seeds will spread everywhere so it may not work......and im sure you are in no way shape or form going to use pre-emergent (i wouldnt either) :D

-OSUB

6. I think comfrey would laugh it's collective ass off at pre-emergents! OSUB, have you ever heard of corn gluten meal as a pre-emergent? It is actually pretty effective and doubles as a fertilizer. [cite]

Chunk

7. man, that must be some nasty stuff......but hey, ide rather have comfrey growing wild than the shitty garlic mustard that has invaded my area over here! at least i would put it to work!

garlic mustard releases a toxin to kill off mycorrhizae in its immediate radius, making it easier for the plant to take over. and you cant get rid of it, no matter how hard you try.......in fact, pulling it makes it spread even more. i never see bugs eating it, either. a completely useless plant.

-OSUB

8. I am currently brewing some comfrey syrup. I have a 4 gal bucket stuffed full of plant material and just sprayed with a small amount of water. It is slowly decomposing now, at first the plants stuck up over the bucket 4 in., now I can get the lid on the bucket. Should I add more water or let the liquid in the bottom of the bucket break down the plant material? Would the dilution rate be 1:15 with this syrup?

PW

9. Hello all,
    I just found a jug of dandelion tea I started a long time ago, can this stuff sit too long before being strained?

I was following this recipe from LD
    "Let me try and answer question this way. Let's say that the only thing easily sourced is Dandelion. And let's say that you only picked enough to make 2 cups of a slurry after running it through a food processor or Osterizer.

Take that 2 cups and add to that 4 cups of pure water and allow the material to break down and there will be some fermenting going on but nothing approaching the levels if one were adding EM-1 or something similar.

So now you have 6 cups of concentrated tea. At an application rate of say 1/4 cup to 1 gallon of water and you would want to add that something like every 10 - 14 days. From 2 cups of Dandelion slurry you now make 24 gallons for watering and 48 gallons to apply as a foliar spray.

If you have limited materials to work with then I would go with the foliar application route through the veg cycle and then switch to using it on the soil during the flower cycle.

Back to the basic recipe, if you follow Gil Carandang's suggestions you might want to add a couple of teaspoons of palm sugar and the same amount of kelp meal."

Thanks
    ~ tree

10. PW, how did you make out? I'm doing the same thing right now...

11. i've seen this in my forest. how will you kill it?

12. Don't add any water.

Just stuff the plant matter in the bucket, cover with a lid, and it will break down and form a slightly viscous liquid you can separate from the plant matter.

13. [quote name='"Tree dogg"']Hello all,
    I just found a jug of dandelion tea I started a long time ago, can this stuff sit too long before being strained?

I was following this recipe from LD
    "Let me try and answer question this way. Let's say that the only thing easily sourced is Dandelion. And let's say that you only picked enough to make 2 cups of a slurry after running it through a food processor or Osterizer.

Take that 2 cups and add to that 4 cups of pure water and allow the material to break down and there will be some fermenting going on but nothing approaching the levels if one were adding EM-1 or something similar.

So now you have 6 cups of concentrated tea. At an application rate of say 1/4 cup to 1 gallon of water and you would want to add that something like every 10 - 14 days. From 2 cups of Dandelion slurry you now make 24 gallons for watering and 48 gallons to apply as a foliar spray.

If you have limited materials to work with then I would go with the foliar application route through the veg cycle and then switch to using it on the soil during the flower cycle.

Back to the basic recipe, if you follow Gil Carandang's suggestions you might want to add a couple of teaspoons of palm sugar and the same amount of kelp meal."

Thanks
    ~ tree[/quote]

So you want to know if it's still good? How long have you had it?

14. I didn't add any water - I'm just letting the plant matter break down on its own. It's only been 1 week, but by the way it's going right now I bet it's going to be 3 weeks before its ready for use; perhaps even longer.

15. [quote name='"SeanDawg"']

So you want to know if it's still good? How long have you had it?[/quote]

2-3 months. I didn't write down the date. (I'm a poor record keeper)
    It smelled like grass for a while, but has changed to another smell, hard to describe. No foul smell at all and no mold.

Thanks
    ~ tree

16. Tree,
    Ive had dandelion tea grow mold, smell like shit, and look plain repulsive. I used it anyways and had great results. Use it. Your fine. If u are still unsure, use it on one plant and wait a few days to see the results, then follow up with the others. I keep an extra mother plant just as a test plant for any homeade concoctions im not sure about.

17. Thanks!
    I think I will strain it and try it out on one plant first and keep this one for a guinea pig.

~ tree

18. Tree, Don't use it if it smells like alcohol at all. Strain the plant matter out to keep it fresh longer.

Jerry, I like to have a "holding" bucket and a "separating" bucket. I have an old 5 gallon cooler I cut and stuff the material into. After about 2 weeks, it turns to a nasty, moldy soup. I then transfer this to a bucket with a paint strainer hanging in it and cover it again. I just pour the cooler into the bucket and the liquid runs to the bottom and the plant goo mass slowly breaks down more and drips. I leave the goo mass there for a while because it keeps dripping. It helps to mash and turn the plant matter in the "holding" bucket, so it breaks down faster.

19. Jerry, after two and 1/2 weeks I still have stems that have not broken down, but the leaves have disolved into a dark liquid. I am currently on vacation in Oregon and have left the tea to ferment while I'm gone for the next two weeks, which will be about 4-5 weeks total. Upon returning I will seperate any solid matter into the compost and store the remaining liquid for dilution and use.

Research found on non MJ forums have stated the 1:15 ratio for the syrup is a good place to start. I stunted two MJ plants with dandelion tea, but they were seedlings and too young for any feeding probably. I have since used the dandelion teas on my vegetable garden and the plants are dark green and growing healthy plants equivalent to or better than my chemical grows from previous gardens.

I will test the syrup when I return home and report the results. My 5 gal bucket of comfery trimmings is now about two inches of syrup and an inch or so of undisolved stems.

PW

20. Hey,

Does freezing plant material first make it break down faster?
    Thanks,url