Botanicals

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MI Wolverine, Nov 30, 2011.

1. If you want to have a larger jug to use for the FPE's......the cat litter jugs are about 2 1/2 gallons. I've got some I use as storage jugs, but I make the FPE in a 20 gallon plastic tub.

If you don't have a cat, a craigslist ad in the wanted/free section will help.

chunk

2. [quote name='"chunkdaddyo"']If you want to have a larger jug to use for the FPE's......the cat litter jugs are about 2 1/2 gallons. I've got some I use as storage jugs, but I make the FPE in a 20 gallon plastic tub.

If you don't have a cat, a craigslist ad in the wanted/free section will help.

chunk[/quote]

Is that in the personals?

• Like Like x 1
  3. MIW< the dried/powdered plants are working well for you then?

just curious.

jerry.

4. :rolleyes:

The for sale section.

5. [quote name='"WeeDroid"']

:rolleyes:

The for sale section.[/quote]

Wanted: 2 jugs and a pussy to help with plant extractions.

I might get some strange replies and not to mention the wife. My twisted humor.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #26 MI Wolverine, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    The're exceeding expectations, but then i probably have a water only mix. This grow is doing just as well as the last cycle when i used compost teas in a slightly different mix. This cycle i've not fed one compost tea, but since i have a hot mix, it's hard to say it was all the botanicals.

One thing I'll throw up for our noodling on is these hot mixes go with a lot of light. If i had say cfl lighting it is doubtfull I would have the same plant response. I noticed at a friends grow how his vegging plants go backwards when he uses ferts, but in the flower room they rock. The differnce was he was using old T5's in veg, So my theory was they can't match their metabilism rate to the light when the light is weak, so plant suffer. MIW

7. MI W

On the powdered Comfrey that you purchased - what is the suggested amount to add to 1 gallon of water?

Did you buy the product with the name 'Star something' by any chance?

Thanks!

LD

8. #28 MI Wolverine, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    Hey LD, the comfrey came from here Bulk Organic Herbs and Spices
    I am using the dried comfrey leaf. It is the only one of my purchases from mountain rose that is not powdered. It is dried leaf pieces. The catalog only identifies the source as from Hungary. I have been mixing it in a water bucket that I bubble a couple hours, then use as a drench, then the dregs are top dressed. And there is no instructions, i'm just winging it,as usual, I think these are sold for human consumption or health products of some kind, not as weed food, lol.

When I got the comfrey I was already using nettles, Spirulina, yarrow, aloe vera and yucca root. So it's hard to say how much of each helped more, or at all. And it's a new soil mix. (wolverine mix thread)

All I can say for sure is the plants grew like a mofo, with a big stretch. I'm now at 4 weeks in flower, and the buds are stacking up nice.

Strangely enough I'm growing three varieties that i have never grown before. Another vote of confidence on good compost I think. I remember peeps whining about sour d being so tough to grow, but mine grew just as well as a heavy indica in my last two grows. I believe you could grow most anything in this soil, it's like it's both gentle and strong.....

Oh hey, I picked up a medium size glass chillum a while back, I'm learning the art of toking one handed like your ashram buddies, lol......MIW

9. Ok so today I found a health food store to get the Natural Blue Agave Necture you all talk about. I figured they would have it and aloe so no big surprise.

Buuut what I didn't expect was to find in the organic certified dried tea section Comfry,Nettles, and Dandelion root, all dried.

So I'm doing a FPE with all three. I don't need to make very much, I only need to fill a 1liter spray bottle.

So my question is at what ratio would you mix materials to water to effectivly extract enough serum to dilute and fill just a single 1liter spray bottle. I made too much alfalfa tea. I don't want to waste materials. I was thinking a cup of water and 1-2 tablespoons of each plant. Then say 2-4 oz serum diluted to 1 liter.

BeZ...V

10. I have a boatload of Dandelions and I mean a boatload. Mow the yard 1 week late when they are in flower in the spring ..............:(

The problem is getting my wife to dig the roots out.:rolleyes::eek:

A hammer and chisel might help. This red clay is like concrete.

Wet

11. Wet, x-mas is around the corner

Dandelion Weeder by DeWit Tools

12. What red blooded American geezer doesn't love hand forged garden tools for Christmas? I know I sure do........Theres a blacksmith near Lumps place that builds garden tools that are quite similar.

It's nice to see that vintage craftsmanship is still alive.

chunk

13. I've used one of those for years. Works like a champ! Just takes a little getting used to at first.
    Slip it down and in and feel it make contact with root and smoothly lever it until that root raises right up through the dirt. Kapow! One down ! 999 to go!

Not sure how it might work in your red concrete though Wet!

14. Here are a couple of photos from the blacksmith that Chunk mentioned.

Weeder with long handle

[​IMG]

Broadfork for raised beds - available in several widths

[​IMG]

And his most popular custom tool - the Blackberry Hoe because it works. If you've ever had to remove blackberry plants you know what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

3-Tine Digging Fork

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. One more from Oregon's history from the 19th Century, Grandpa's Weeder

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. #37 Downgirl2182, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
    MIW that is where I bought my nettle and comfrey:D Great minds think alike don't they!
    When i brew my teas I use a gallon jug as I feel it is done quicker this way. However since I only have a few plants per flower stage I dont need a whole 5 gallon batch as that would only be wasteful and leave a huge carbon foot print. Us Organic guys and gals got to keep in mind why we are doing this in the first place. For the health of us , our plants and for mother earth. I am starting to notice the more random herbs or plants I add to my teas the more lovely they smell.. I cant get over the aroma of teas. Nothing like making a tea and waking up the next mroning to the smell of the earth. im sorry but that is something that really gets me going. I love it! It also reminds me of mushroom hunting.. OHH Cant wait for spring and my morels! OM NOM NOM! Plus I willbe on the hunt for herbs too and wild nettles this spring:) Does anyone know of a good book that has nice colorful and descriptive pictures of wild plants, herbs and flowers? I would very much like a book like that so i know I will be picking the right plant and not some type of poison lol. I can see it now. DG all puffed up like a blow fish with pink paste all over her. HAHA

and as for applying them it depends on what is in the mix. For instance the other day I foliar feed a Alfalfa FPE to my girls. The two bigger clones were just moved into the bigger tent and seemed to be having issues adjusting to the new move. So the Foliar feed of the Alfalfa FPE and some homemade calcium phosphate perked them right up! That calcium phospahte aka eggshell extract is amazing to use whenever your girls look a bit mailased.(however you spell it) I think its honestly a matter of opinion and what works for you as far as application is concerned.

17. I think it would be very valuable information knowing the minimum amounts of materials that can be used to create an effective FPE.

BeZ...V

18. Hell yeh for morel humting DG! I got the spot! every year. Tip: If you like shroom hunting, try hunting Hen of the woods in the fall. They're huge. My friend found 1 mushroom and split it up, sold it to all the fine dining restaraunts in the area. Made over $400 for 1 shroom. The fun shrooms hide in Horse / cow manure. But thats probably for a different forum

I too just made my first eggshell elixer!

19. Bez it seems like I hear a lot of different opinions on the amount of plant material for FPE. I have seen some say as much as you can stuff into your vessel and I have also seen a recipe call for a 1/4 of the vessel. If I am using a small mason jar that is only 8 oz I use a 1/4 and if I have a large mason jar I fill it up to about half. The main thing is though that you do not have a large gap of air at the top though as this could cause your FPE to take much longer to ferment. I have also noticed that larger batches such as a 2 liter soda bottle work much quicker than say a small 8 oz mason jar.