Boston Bans the Sale of Blunt Wraps....Starting Tomorrow

Discussion in 'General' started by bronco, Feb 8, 2009.

1. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

If you didn't already know or are new to the state, Massachusetts is run by people who know better than you, and they are not opposed to letting you know this fact. Isn't it wonderful that we live in such a caring state, where a small minority of wealthy folks are willing to delegate how we, the uncultured masses, should live our lives so we don't have to think about it? God I love this place. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The makers of wraps, which are tobacco-based rolling papers, are suing the city over the Boston Public Health Commission's decision in December to ban their product from store shelves across the city.
    Producers of blunt wraps contend that city regulators are unconstitutionally picking on them.
    The blunt-wrap prohibition was part of a broader regulation strengthening Boston's tobacco control ordinances, giving the city some of the nation's toughest antismoking provisions. A key rule eliminates cigarette sales in pharmacies and in stores on college campuses, but allows other retailers to continue selling tobacco products, except for blunt wraps.
    With little fanfare, three major blunt wrap manufacturers - as well as their trade organization, the RYO (as in, roll your own) Cigar Association - sued the city in Suffolk Superior Court last month, hoping to stop the city's enforcement of the blunt ban, which starts Monday. A judge denied a request for an emergency halt, but allowed the case to proceed for a full hearing.
    "If they treated us like every other tobacco product, we wouldn't be filing this suit," said James Brett, the Boston lawyer representing the blunt wrap makers, who estimated that $1.5 million worth of blunt wraps are sold annually in Boston.
    "But they singled us out," Brett said. "You can go to a liquor store or a convenience store and still get tobacco, but not blunt wraps."
    The health commission's executive director, Barbara Ferrer, said in an interview yesterday that blunt wraps present a particular threat to the well-being of the young because they are sold in tempting fruity flavors and "used almost exclusively for illicit purposes," namely, smoking marijuana, she said.
    In their lawsuit, the companies describe their product as "cigar wraps intended to hold tobacco" and say the wraps are "wholly or partially composed of tobacco." The website of one company, Blunt Wrap USA, advertises varieties with apple martini, champagne, and "grape-a-licious" flavoring.
    "There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of blunt wraps, which is why we eliminated them," Ferrer said.
    Pharmacies and college campus stores have until Monday to remove all other tobacco products. Representatives of the nation's two biggest drugstore chains, CVS and Walgreens, said that their Boston stores will begin replacing tobacco products with others over the weekend.
    During the next few weeks, city inspectors will visit the roughly 75 pharmacies covered by the regulation to make sure they're following the new rules, Ferrer said. If they're not, she said, they will be given a day to banish remaining tobacco products
    "If, when the inspector returns, they still have not in fact stopped selling tobacco products, they will be fined," Ferrer said. Fines start at $200 per violation, escalating to $1,000.
    The country's largest cigarette producer, Philip Morris USA, failed last fall when it attempted to block San Francisco from enforcing a ban on drugstore tobacco sales.

http://www.boston.com/news/educatio...unt_lawsuit_pits_rolling_paper_makers_v_city/

2. Just when I think we have taken a step forwards, theres two steps back.

3. i bet you could buy a fresh box of swishers on ebay for cheap, youll find ways to get around this one.

4. "There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of blunt wraps, which is why we eliminated them."

Here, let me fix that for you.

"There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of cars, which is why we eliminated them."
    "There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of video games, which is why we eliminated them."
    "There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of guns, which is why we eliminated them."
    "There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of knives, which is why we eliminated them."
    "There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of matches, which is why we eliminated them."
    "There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of teeter totters, which is why we eliminated them."
    "There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of alcohol, which is why we eliminated them."
    "There's a detrimental impact on the health and well-being of young people and the community with the sale of forks, which is why we eliminated them."

5. exactly my thoughts.. it is only one city, hopefully others see the ignorance in this..

also sucks for guys who actually roll their own cigars

6. hahahaha

7. It's funny how they waited til now to do this :rolleyes:. Every time I think something is going to finally go right, this happens. I bet they're all sitting back with their cigars/cigarettes and their glass of wine/beer chuckling to themselves. Is it me, or does it all seem backwards.

8. Damn, didn't know that, but that does suck.

But they sell blunt wraps on the internet, kind of a pain, but they could still have access to them.

9. this is the first ive heard of this. i hate wraps anyway tho. all the more reason to learn to roll a real blunt.

10. Seriously :rolleyes:

11. Learn to roll a dutch or smoke joints.

12. I can. It's the principle of the matter. Don't act like if the government made the sale of blunt wraps illegal where you live you wouldn't be pissed.

13. #13 Keifer Suthrlnd, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
    this is good news...in the northeast only people that cant roll a real blunt use blunt wraps.

14. I wouldn't be, because I don't smoke blunts

It's lousy because there was nothing explicitly tying them to marijuana, but I'm not so outraged that I'm going to be starting any petitions

15. #15 bronco, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009

You don't understand, because you don't live here. Boston just decriminalized up to an oz of MJ, everyone thought this place was moving foreward, and now they hit us with this. Cigarettes are already upwards of $6 to $7 a pack, you can be fined for smoking anywhere in Cambridge. Now there is a new tax on soda, alcohol, fried foods, or anything deemed "bad" for you. PLUS they are now proposing that MA residents should not be allowed to travel to NH to buy items free of sales tax, since there is none there. Its going to be now that any substantial purchase made in NH one must present an ID, and if you are a resident of MA, you have to pay extra simply because you live here. THIS STATE IS BULLSHIT.

16. I can't wait until im outta this fucking country growing my own sweet cheeba in the spanish countryside.....:D

17. Aw hell no. Wtf is wrong with massachusetts. Its overrun by cops and soccermoms, like the type of people that call the cops if they see someone smoking a joint. What the fuck, leave people alone.

And now this shit? People have their heads stuck so far up their ass that they ban something because it could cause health risks. Watch, next comes pipes, bongs, rolling papers, dutches and grinders. I swear to god, when I'm out of college I'm going to a state that I can actually treat my ADD with mmj. I fucking hate massachusetts.

FUCK THIS SHIT I'M OUT. WHO'S WITH MEH!

sorry for the rant, I've just had it up to my ears with all this fucking bullshit. I got caught smoking this week, I'm getting monthly drug tested, and my dad took away my car. And I can't do anything about it because its "Their house, their rules." And my car is under my dad's name. I'm going to the Fuck Off thread.

18. lol that sucks

swishers are better anyway tho

19. Lol, leave out pipes and bongs. You already can't get them here.

20. Atleast you guys don't go to jail for a roach.