Boss screwing around with my paycheck what are my options?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deleted member 472633, Dec 24, 2012.

1. So I work at local funpark to help pay for college and living expenses, my boss has been becoming more and more of an asshole. This last paycheck I got jipped out of 6 hours of work due to a "payroll" error. My manager said he would talk to to the owner and have a check ready last Friday. On Thursday I became very ill and I know desperately need that money for medicine. On friday I came in to find that the paycheck was not there, I left a note and was promised it would be ready on Saturday because the owner was not in. I've become more and more ill, and I keep getting promised that the paycheck will be ready but its monday and its still not ready.
    What are my options? How do I get the owner to pay me? I think he's doing this because my grandmother called him an asshole a couple of weeks ago because he's constantly screwing over his employees and cutting corners when it comes to safety. I would not go on our rides thats for sure.

PS
    Another asshole thing he's done recently is he tried to promote me to manager while not giving me a pay raise when I told him I would not do more work for the same amount of money he made me a de facto manager anyways and has been giving me management shifts even though I am not technically a manager.
    Other employees have experienced some of the same problems.

I am quitting this job next week and have been desperately looking for a new one.

2. Maybe you should give him a call personally?

3. Tell him your going to call the BBB or something of the sort.

4. Yep, call the BBB, or if there is sketchy shit that's safety related call your local news station. You'll probably get fired but at least he'll lose customers.

5. slap that bitch upside the head and be like WHERES MY MONEY

6. If you are certain you're going to quit, and if you've spoken with him directly at least a few times about the seriousness and urgency of the matter, then you could confront him as soon as possible 'just as a courtesy' so he knows in advance, with a copy of a stamped and pre-written letter, which you have in-hand, and are about to send to your local state employment office or agency describing your paycheck and time-frame situation in detail.

Depending how you handle the whole scenario, it could potentially make your relationship with your boss more, or occasionally less complicated... so if you plan to stick around, or if that possibility exists, just tread carefully.
    There likely will be some resentment if you suggest you're considering taking action, but if you can avoid it, or just dance around the idea, and if you're a smooth talker and play it well, you could get your full pay ASAP and even a little respect as well.

"
    Question: What is My Legal Obligation to Pay Employees? What Happens If I Don't Pay Them?

Attorney Michael Helfand discusses the legal obligations of employers and the repercussions if employees are not paid in a timely manner.

Answer:
    Laws Governing Wages - Federal and State
    Employers are legally obligated to pay their employees. Most businesses are affected by both state and federal (Fair Labor Standards Act or FLSA) laws regarding pay. These laws set the minimum wage, explain when employees must be paid, establish which employers must pay overtime and which employees are entitled to overtime, etc.
    Employee Wage Complaints
    If an employee has a wages complaint, whether it’s for regular pay, overtime wages, or vacation pay, they have the right to contact their state employment agency. This often results in an investigation by the employment agency, and may lead to a lawsuit against the employer or a loss of a business license. Consequences include not only payment of back pay owed, but may include fines and penalties as well.
    What Employers Should Do About Wage Complaints
    Employers can protect themselves by keeping good time records, taking wage disputes seriously and attempting to solve a dispute with the employee. If there is a dispute about part of an employee’s wages – such as overtime, or an extra day worked – the employer is still expected to pay the undisputed portion when it’s due.
    Common Pitfalls in Paying Employees
    A few things you might not know about paying employees:

• Withholding Without Consent. An employer cannot withhold a portion of an employee’s wages without their consent, except for withholdings required by law (FICA taxes, for example)
    • Withholding Pay as Punishment. An employer cannot withhold pay as punishment – if an employee violates company policy and leaves on bad terms, they are still owed their full paycheck;
    • Last Paycheck. An employee’s last paycheck is generally owed on or before the next regular pay day; even if overtime was unapproved, it still must be paid in most cases." Paying Employees - What Happens If Employees are Not Paid

It's also worth mentioning that, if you know the business barely makes ends meet, or even that profits are just slumping lately, don't be surprised if you're offered management positions without a raise. Fun parks aren't always highly profitable ventures.
    Sometimes with certain industries, the incentive of being made a manager, is just in the title that you get to add to your resume when you move on in a few months. :p

You may not make any extra money now by accepting positions like that, but in the long-run, particularly if this isn't your life-career and if you know that you'll be moving on to something else soon enough, it can be valuable and even financially-savvy to accept management positions and extra responsibilities, without the benefit of a current increase in compensation. It displays that a business owner, or responsible similar party, thought you were management material in the past.
    If a pay increase is out of the question, you can also negotiate for additional perks or even a few days of future vacation time (get it in writing)... you may need to get creative about what you request, to make it worth both your time.

If it's a management position that's close to the 'ceiling', though, and one that you think you'll be holding for five or ten years, then negotiating for a pay-raise at the time is probably a good idea. [​IMG]

7. Fuck his wife. So If he ends up not paying its a win win.

8. He's not my direct boss (my direct boss is a pretty awesome guy) he owns the place they won't give out his phone number to employees. But I believe he is avoiding me, since he knows I'm pretty pissed.

So many good suggestions guys, I am for sure quitting today though.

I just thought I should slip some MJ in his desk and call the cops with an anonymous tip lol.

I wouldn't though because literally all the employees smoke and are my friends and dealers so it could hurt them.

9. -take the cash out his business
    -don't you have an union for working people?

10. I liked the idea of having a letter that if you don't get your check and be doesn't get his shit straightened out, it's going to the news, and then to an attorney to get your money. You're probably not the only one that he's gipping out of money either

11. Get rich................

12. I know for sure I'm not. This has happened to other employees but its the first time its happened to me. Its a good time I checked over payroll or I might not have caught it, I was expecting a smaller paycheck that week but not that small.

13. I know somebody that was screwed out of a $100+ a week for 2 years straight and they never looked at their paycheck

14. you should ask a lawyer instead of internet potheads.

15. call the labor department. they will fuck him