Boss refuses to pay me for time worked.

Discussion in 'General' started by WhereRDaCookies, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Hello GC! I've been reading these forums for about two years now, but I've always just been a guest :smoke:. Today when I didn't receive my last paycheck I got so irked that I decided to make an account to ask for help. My boss has always been a giant douche. He cuts overtime out of his employees paychecks. He promises promotions and raises in exchange for favors and hard work yet never follows through with them. Apparently the turn over rate at my job is 115% according to our division manager (Dunno how thats possible).

Basically I was supposed to receive my last check direct deposited into my account today and its not there :(. He's going to make me fight to get my sad excuse of a paycheck simply because I decided I wanted to resign and take on a much better paying job. Kinda sad and unable to purchase necessities under my current budget because of this.

Suggestions? :confused:

2. Lawsuit. :D

3. Could depend on the laws where you are, but an employer can only hold onto your wages earned for a few weeks. If it takes longer, you can seek legal action and it will be solved before you know it.

4. I was thinking rape, but this seems more practical.

5. My boss has full discretion over payroll before it is sent out each Tuesday. With a few clicks of a button my hours worked become 0, and my employee ID becomes potato. I've had between 30 minutes and 4 hours of overtime cut out of every pay week since I started there over a year ago. I didn't believe it was happening at first, but after speaking with several of my co-workers I realized he is intentionally doing it so he doesn't get fired for being unable to perform his job correctly.

The very first day I worked there it just so happened to be my stores business review. The CEO, CFO, and owner flew out on a corporate jet to go over how my manager was handling their store. I've never heard the F bomb be used so creatively and so often in my entire life.

6. My bosses can edit my hours worked and stuff too, but that doesn't mean you aren't entitled to be paid the amount of hours you worked. And by entitled I mean legally entitled. If you can demonstrate that you have been shortchanged then a lawsuit is in order. Do you have time punch cards or things like that? My job has a print out of when you clocked in and clocked out and amount of hours worked.

7. Call your local board of fair wage./labor and familiarize yourself with the laws in your state. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING and then file a formal complaint. You should even have some posters on the wall at work that will be helpful.

8. We also have punch slips. I had them all organized and filed by date. Once I was hired at a new job I wasn't going to worry about it anymore. I only had like 16 hours on this paycheck anyway, but it's money that I earned and worked for. I probably have one of the slips, but still I shouldn't have to resort to this.

The only way I think I can prove I actually worked that day is the fact that my name is on the inventory counts I did that week. Records of which are saved for approximately 3 - 6 months, maybe longer. My signature is also on the shift sheet for those days that I worked. All of this is property of the company however and would be "lost" if they even felt I was going to file a lawsuit.

9. It sucks that your boss fucked you over like he did.
    But if you have no paperwork documenting what hours you worked.
    Then you really don't have much to take to a lawyer.

Always realize that a boss can't bully/scare you into not keeping documentation of your work hours.

If you know that you're being fucked over on your time.
    And at the same time you're NOT keeping proper records.
    You are (in my opinion) asking to be fucked over.

Live and learn my friend.
    Always document your time and keep up with it.
    Otherwise your employer can (and will) fuck you on your pay :wave:

10. I was keeping accurate records, and I was even asking other managers to print out my total hours worked at the end of each week. I discovered in early October that I had been robbed of at least 30 minutes of overtime pay per week, sometimes as much as four hours. This is why I went to try and find a new job. Once I found a much better paying job I tossed it all out. I just didn't think my boss would be this much of a douche bag as to not even consider paying me for my final week of work. Have you ever heard of something so irritating? I'm not beyond going to my former place of work and causing a huge ass scene if all other channels of negotiation are exhausted. Tomorrow I will be going into work to speak to another manager about it, and if it isn't resolved I will be calling corporate. Then I'll be calling the corporate complaint hot line. If all else fails I'm going to go and cause a scene at my place of work in the middle of the day causing my boss a lot more trouble than fucking me over could have ever gained him.

11. Ok.....lets stop here for a sec.

Your boss was already fucking you each paycheck.
    You quit because he was fucking you on your pay
    Yet your surprised that he fucked you on your paycheck.

:confused:

To top it all off....after knowing this guy was fucking you you threw your proof away? :eek:

So now your gonna go there and cause a scene?

Yea, that's your best bet, champ.
    You go show them who's boss :rolleyes:

You had your chance to fuck your boss over legally with your lost paper work.
    You going there to cause a scene is only going to get yourself thrown in jail.

Your best bet is to live and learn ...... and let this one go.

You had your chance to deal with this like an adult
    yet you'd rather go act like a 12 year old and start a fight

:wave:

12. #12 garrison68, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2011
    Go to the Dept. of Labor and file a complaint for the week he owes you. Shouldn't be very hard to collect, he's going to be in a lot of trouble if he lies and says you didn't work the amount of time you said you did - especially if he falsifies the time sheet.

13. You clearly don't understand what I mean by a "scene". I'm just going to go in there and demand my money back and threaten to call all of his bosses if he doesn't act quickly. Any changes to the payroll leave a digital paper trail that cannot be deleted by someone at the store level. Getting someone to examine these changes however is far more difficult. He knows that, and I know that. All I have to do is let him know I'm will to fight this extremely hard to get my pay.

14. Also, I was ranked as the #2 employee by accuracy and HAD I stayed at the company I would be receiving a mandatory 50 cent raise because of my consist work and excellent performance reviews.

15. thats the ticket :hello:

16. Dept of Labor is the first step.