Born gay or choose to be gay?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Smoked All Dat, May 25, 2010.

1. okay but theres a reason he is gay its because he wants to be not because he was born that way.

2. Did you read my post? You can't control who you are attracted to, period.

3. #103 nfs924, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    Do you really choose anything in this life at all? Everything is given to you, even your choices.

I can obviously make a choice if I want to move my left arm or right arm. The universe presents me with either option, it's not like I'm actually making my own decisions. I'm simply making my decisions based on what I have been given. The universe made that choice before I existed.

4. #104 VT_killah, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    I believe it just occurs through a series of lifestyle choices.

I mean honestly everyone basically blends into the culture they're born into. If you took a gay person and started their life over in a completely different culture with a completely different life, then they could easily not be gay (in my opinion at least). This being said, I don't think it's something in-scripted in your DNA.

You guys can believe whatever you want but our brains are sponges and we learn virtually everything we know from our surroundings. Many things are programmed for us, including a sex drive, but saying that being gay or straight is as easy as left-handed or right-handed is a pretty big stretch imo.

I don't think that gay people just wake up one day and decide to be gay though. I think it just happens through a certain thought process / life events that lead them to have a better connection to men than women.

I mean look at less developed cultures / tribes etc... how many gay people are there.

(btw I have nothing against gay people my favorite uncle is gay I'm just sayin I don't really believe it's due to some chromosomal arrangement).

5. I'm gay and I definitely didn't choose it. It took me a long time to accept it after years of trying to hide it and hating myself. My dad's a hardcore republican and when I was little he always tried to take me fishing/hunting/etc, I didn't want any of it. In kindergarten I preferred to play with toy horses. When I dated girls in middle school/high school to try to change who I was, I chose people based on emotional attraction solely, not sexual attraction. You can't change or choose who you're sexually attracted to. Did any of you make a conscious decision at a young age to like someone? How do you explain straight children that were adopted by gay parents when they were little? Some of you are fucking dumb.

6. You're the one who made sweeping generalizations first, then. I'm within that group of "people" you mentioned.

7. Scientists have proven that there is no gay gene, therefore it's all in your enviornment you're raised in. Sometimes people growing up with like 6 sisters and no brothers has a higher chance for being gay just from hanging out with his sisters all the time. It still may not be in the control of the person, it's just in his surroundings. So this thread's title it wrong, they don't choose but they're not born gay. Just my opinion. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm fucked up.

8. makes total sense.

9. Well thank you if that wasn't sarcasm:hello::smoking:

10. its not

11. This post is.. just very bad.. lol, i dont mean it in a rude way..
    But, your making it seem like "gays" are some race... there just like me and you, and no i dont belive you were born gay.. Lot's of people were straight thier whole lives and just wanted a change.. I personally am straight.. errr as i like to say.. i like women..

12. Urban Dictionary: inb4

:)

13. I'm bisexual, and if you meant that I chose to be bisexual, I disagree. For me, it was a matter of recognizing the feelings I have for the same sex and working through internalized homophobia. I feel like I've always been attracted to both sexes, but I just never recognized the attractions for the same sex. To top it off, I feel like I'm more attracted to the same sex than the other, but it doesn't mean I'm only homosexual. If I deny that attraction, it feels painful psychologically. It's like I'm pretending to be someone I'm not.

We are living in a society where heterosexuality is the norm, and is believed to be the "natural" way of life. This plays a huge part in the argument. And I think that using the nature vs. nurture argument to decide whether to treat homosexuals the same as everyone else is bullshit. Either you think homosexuals/bisexuals are equal, or they aren't. It doesn't matter if they were born that way or they chose it, they are still human beings, and they deserve the same respect as anybody else. Period, end of argument. That's how I see it.

On a side note, if you guys have ever studied the bonobo, our closest genetic relative (along with the chimpanzee), homosexuality is very common among the species. Sexuality in general is a huge part of their social structure (they use it to stop arguments, when they get food, etc.) It's fascinating, if you're into that stuff. :D

14. No problems with homosexuals here! Straight and proud of it! I love women and prefer the company of them to men anywho; I don't have one male friend whom I could even fuck.

But I am truly bothered when people are quick to accuse someone of being repressed or deeply in the closet simply because they make firm and unconditional statements about their heterosexuality.

So I don't believe people are born with it, because if you're going to assume someone was born as a microscopic quark with a hardwired sexual gluon to suck cock, then you have to wager they were born with the Aryan blood, or the Einstein gene as well.

15. The whole born/chosen thing in reality actually just pisses me off because most people conclude that if you aren't born gay, you're at fault or you have some sort of problem for choosing to be gay.

I really wish people were as accepting in real life as they are on the internet however, it sure would make my life easier. Just today I had to listen to two co-workers joke around with each other about homosexuals as I stayed silent and played ignorance. It's hard to speak your case when it won't bring you anything but trouble.

16. I consider myself bi-sexual. Meaning, I like sex with any gender, period.

I like sex in any form or fashion. I guess I'm just hyper-sexual.

The thing is, I can't find myself having a loving emotional relationship with a man, but with a women I can.

Maybe you're just like me, OP?? The whole sex thing.

17. Nobody can be born gay.

Being a fag is a choice.

18. Anyone can be gay.