Borderline Personality Disorder

Discussion in 'General' started by DannyDub420, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Apparently I have this..
    Does anyone know anybody, or have any experience with this?
    I don't really have anyone to talk to, even if I tried they either wouldn't believe me, or think I am weird. Weed definitely helps more than it hurts. My black and white thinking, turns in to stony thoughts. Emotionally I feel a little undeveloped.
    I have been reading various books such as The Power of Now, and Sedona Method. Thoughts?

2. One of many highly debatable psych diagnosis. Its very important to determine of your doctor is one of those who uses this as a "wastebasket" diagnosis, or if they are an experienced clinician who can actually recognize the disorder.

Is this the first therapist you have seen?

3. Yes its the first one.. The symptoms fit rather well, I must admit. It was actually somewhat of a relief to finally attach a word to the definition of my mental state.

4. when i was in the hospital the psychiatrist told me i was borderline. he based it solely on the fact that i self injured. i believe borderline exists but i believe it's being used too much to describe people who just have one characteristic.

i'm officially diagnosed as bipolar not otherwise specified

5. Have you heard of the DSM? It's the book of guidelines put out by the American Psychiatric Assoc that is used by psychologists to help determine diagnosis. In the most recent edition they fundamentally changed the diagnosis for Borderline PD because they felt that the previous definition was totally wrong. Do a little research on it. Wikipedia is a great place to start, but you should look elsewhere too.
    remember, doctors aren't gods.

oh, and just sayin, Sour D is my favorite :]

6. Back in my day (before the dawn of time) they avoided this diagnosis in adolescents, because it was thought that similar "symptoms" were actually a fairly normal part of the developmental adjustment process, esp. in the more intelligent kids.

7. I'd bet big bucks my Dad has BPD.
    My whole life I couldn't figure him out, until one day I stumbled upon BPD in wikipedia and a lightbulb went off.

He's got a heart of gold but it was hard being more in touch with reality than my Dad at around age 10.