Border crossing into Canada

Discussion in 'General' started by zen_sunrise, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Hello everyone :)

Not sure if this topic belongs in here, I wasn't completely sure but figured this was a good start. I'm going to be camping in Glacier National Park this August, and was hoping to hop up to the Canadian part of it for a day trip. This is NOT, and I repeat NOT a question about how to get weed across the border. My question is that I have a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge on my record, so am I going to be able to get in? I know that Canada has less strict laws then the US about drug possession, but I have also heard of people getting turned away because of it.

If anyone has any experience on the matter I would love to hear it. I'm planning on crossing into Alberta on highway 17 if that helps any.

2. I highly doubt they'll turn you away but they might give you a little hard time..

3. Hrm.. not sure. google that shit or something? lol

I rarely have trouble getting into my own country, so I'm not a lot of help here..

4. I have been googling it, but the only definitive info I can find says that they MIGHT turn me away, and they have turned people away before for similar records. I know for a fact you can't get in with a DUI, but they are much more strict on that kind of thing then the US is anyway I believe.

5. I get the feeling that if anything happens it'll be a hassle followed by a search followed by you being let int.

But I dunno, never realized Americans can have such a hard time getting to see Canada even with a DUI or misdemeanor.

6. I was in a similar situation 4 summers ago. I asked my Lawyer what the deal was about getting into Canada. he said I only have CWOF's and havent been convicted of anything yet so its no big deal. he then said his brother and him went to montreal and his bro had a DUI conviction. his bro had to pay 500 bucks and he couldnt drive but they still got in.

7. You know you'll need a passport right? At the border crossing they'll ask you for your passport or equivalent, probably another form of ID, what your business is, how long you'll be staying, and where you're staying. That's about it.

8. I doubt you'll be turned away. But you need to be aware that since 9/11 you have to have a passport to go to Canada and passports take like 6 months to get. So if you don't have one already, don't count on going.

9. Just to elaborate, it's actually since June of 2009. There are ways to expedite a passport, although the cost is higher and with August being just around the corner, you need to get started on it right now if you don't already have one.

10. Oh I already have a passport, I've been out of the country but not since my ticket. Just wondering if anyone had any trouble in the same circumstance.

11. You'll be fine, don't sweat it. Wish I was going with you :)

12. Why would they even ask if you have gotten any tickets?

13. The dudes at the boarder are so crazy lol, the one time I went there when i was about 10 years old I remember some dude that look like your typical hard ass with his sunglasses on. It was me, my buddy and his dad, and he I remember him saying you sneaking drugs into my fuckin counrty?" For no reason. We had no drugs either. Just a shitload of illegal fireworks :)