Bopper's guide to taking cuttings / clones (With pictures)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bopper, May 10, 2006.

1. thanks alot .... helped me tremendously

2. No problem, glad it helped.

I remember only too well some of the mistakes I made initially, not to mention the waste of time and loss of opportunity, so happy growing matey! :hello:

3. Great post, helped me out alot. I just have one question: when you refer to multiple nodes being under soil, are you referring to a small branch that had leaves on it lower down that were cut off so that multiple mini branches with no leaves are underground? Not sure if that made sense, ask if you need clarification. Thanks again

4. I'm pretty sure you understand. Multiple nodes under soil basically refers to areas where leaves sprouted from. Remove the leaves and apply rooting hormone/gel to it before plopping it into your medium.

5. Thanks alot man. I was completely confused on cloning before i read this post. Hopefully i will successfully clone a mrs. i've got growing right now.

6. I think the best dvice would be to try for yourself and see how it goes.

These plants are pretty resiliant and taking cuttings to propogate them is quite straightforwards, just give it a go and like all things in life - practise makes perfect!

Laters!

7. So much for my words of wisdom - just had to bin about 20 cuttings I took which started to turn mouldy due to too much damp and not enough light.

It's never too late to learn new stuff I guess!

• Like Like x 1
  8. thanx for the guide, i'll be taking cuttings from my plants soon =D

9. i just want to stress how important it is to take a cutting with at least four or five nodes on it. i took clones two months ago. three total-two very small with only two nodes and one with seven. the one that had seven is now a frigging bush! the other two are just starting to branch out after 60 days. don't be afraid to take a good sized stalk.

10. Going to try this tomorrow with 2 of my girlfriend's dads plants... thanks a ton!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks allot for the info. I've got 3 G13 X Haze plants for my first indoor grow and I tried taking cuttings from each of them but I never removed the bottom leaves from the cutting and they always seemed to wilt and not stand by up properly after the first 10 minutes. I applied rooting gel and put them in soil but I got the same problem each time.

I'm gonna give it another try tomorrow with your zip lock method and hopefully it works. I'll let you know if it works. If it's a go I'll be giving my new Columbian Red Haze and Indoor Mix seedlings a try when they grow up.

12. Cool, good luck chap, hope it work's out ok.

13. not sure if this was made a sticky yet, but god damn it needs to be one. i searched for like 30 minutes before finding this thread, the one thread i needed to read.

Bopper (or anyone else): i believe this is alright, but correct me if i am wrong, and fill in what is missing. i have a plant in veg, only one plant, and its a bagseed so no clue whether male or female. can i take a cutting and attempt to clone in hopes of determining sex?

would i clone and put under 24/0 or 12/12? im finally grasping the concept of where and how to cut, but im still a little foggy on the finer points. if you get curious, take a gander at my grow and let me know how easy/hard it would be to find clones to take at this point, as right now its small and bushy...

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/184489-cfl-cabinet-grow-w-pics-2nd-grow.html

thanks in advance for any help.

14. Many thanks matey, too kind, just trying to help. I thought it had been made a sticky, but if it's something I need to do, please could one of the mods PM me or post here and tell me what to do - never had a sticky before - not online anyways :smoke:

OK, so yes, you could take cuttings from this plant now, but take a look here http://www.growell.co.uk/ds/instructions/Datasheets.html they have lots of datasheets that are bloody marvellous!

All I'd say would be that you need to take off your clones leaving at least 3 internodes (where leaves or other branches come out from the stem you are using). Your cut should be just below the 3rd node leaving it attached to your new clone. The next node up should be stripped leaving the leaves of the uppermost node intact together with the growing tip. Bury this, or stick it in your rockwool / peat cube using rootex or similar rooting gell. Once in the cube (which you will already have moistened - see below) you should lightly mist the little darling and put it under plastic under your lights - but far enough away that they don't burn or dehydrate.

Another tip is that if your uppermost 2 leaves are too large in proportion to the size of the cutting you've taken, you can always use your scalpel to trim the tips off. Sometimes I take off half of the 3 centre fan leaves and up to 25% of the end ones too. This seems to stimulate them because generally those with trimmed leaves show roots before those untouched, but not by much.

I root mine in rockwool cubes now and keep them in a plastic humidifier (Plastic dome over plastic tray) until the roots emerge from the cubes. I've used plastic bottles with the tops cut off as mini cloches too, and this can be successful, but you must ensure that you remove them at least once a day, if not twice, to let them breath and help to prevent mould - that's a killer!:eek:

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ROCKWOOL CUBES
    Before using rockwool cubes, which are clearly both dry and innert (no goodness in them for plant matter) you will need to hydrate them before use. It is vital that you do this with ph adjusted water as this will then set the ph for the cubes throughout their short lifespan. I soak mine in water adjusted to about 6 which I add canna A & B to, as well as Rhyzontonic and Cannazym (which is my usual feed but at half dose plus the Rhyzontonic which I also use as a foliar mist during the 2-3 weeks that they take to root.

They don't take long to get saturated, especially with me squeezing them in the solution, so once wet and before they start to loose their shape, simple shake off the excess water, literally by lightly squeezing and shaking out the individual cubes before replacing them in their plastic tray so that you can plant them up. Easy!

I get pretty good results too, like over 95% survival rate last time and 100% the time before, so I hope this helps you guys too. Sometimes learning the hard way really sucks, I should know, especially with regard to taking clones. I had a nightmare with mine this year, generally got a bit cocky with it and became careless. It really screwed me up and I nearly lost my last AK99, which would have been a tragedy :( so there's a lesson I've learned.:confused:

However you take your clones, take the best care you can with them, use a fresh blade to cut them, use the best advice you can get, and remeber to be patient, once you've done your bit, all you need to do is keep them moist and let them do their own thing.

If your plant turns out to be female - great, now you'll have more of the same and you'll have enough stock to take more, perhaps keeping one back as a mother. If they turn out to be male - too bad, but remember, even males and hermies can be turned into very potent cannabutter - check out the recipie at http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/38245-canabutter-making.html:cool:

Hope that helps - good luck with your endeavours folks,

Bopper out.

(ps. Did I mention that I love you guys? Naw, maybe next time then huh):D