Boosting w/Heat and Co2

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Drakeroberts, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Hey Friends,

So here,s my question:

Can you increase the rate of growth/metabolism by revving up the plants respiration cylce through exposure to a High Temperature (95-105 degrees) Environment?

Ive heard this is called "boosting" but cant find much info on it.

Obviously this should be done in a BubbleTub Hydro system to supply constant/unlimited water supply.
    Also optimal Co2.

Basic Premise: Make all the required elements for growth optimized and in constant/unlimited supply---> Then turn up the temp to basicly speed up metabolism.

What is the upper thresh-hold for temperature, even with unlimited supplies of necessary growth elements?

2. Turning up the heat slow everything down.

3. I'm a new grower, so I'm not going to claim I know, but I have read in a couple books (I think in The Cannabis grower's Bible and the Jorge Cervantes book) that boosting the temp with CO2 will give you much bigger yields, but alas I have no CO2 experience... just what I read.

4. to my knowledge, 85F is primo for co2 intake.
    co2 can also lower the temperature (depending) and you can also keep your space enclosed if this system is running.
    hope this answered some of your questions...

5. plus+
    if you're hitting 95degreesF in your grow space, its too hot.
    thought of air cooled hoods/fans?

6. Hello friend,

As the temperature gets too hot, the plant stoma close to preserve water from evaporating. Stoma is essential for respiratory as well. With closed stoma.. CO2 is pointless.

Source: Stoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope that helps

Cheers

7. CO2 enrichment will allow you to grow inspite of higher temps. To get the extra yeild from the enrichment, you have to maintain normal growing temps 75-80.

8. That is actually really helpful. The way you worded it was perfect. You get + rep for saying something I'm going to definitely remember for my own co2 plans.

9. Very Few, if any of you, are getting my point. My question is about increasing metabolism. I was asking if heat can be used as a mechanism for that. I want to make it 105 degrees intentionally. (That is if ..and I emphasize the IF--> it works that way)

Someone siad that the stomas close at around 95 to stop water evaporation. What if water is in unlimited supply...i.e. Deep Water Hydro. Will the plant simply use the extra heat energy to increase its respiration -->thereby increasing overall metabolism and achieving a faster rate of growth.

OR

Do stomas close at 95 regardless of Humidity,water availability to roots, Co2 concentration. ect.

The big idea is this: if the plant will increase its metabilism in the presence of the upper threshhold of survivable heat ranges, so long as it has unlimited availabilities of :water, Co2, Light. ------> then you can "boost" the rate of growth with the application of heat. The end result being either a huge Budded beast OR regular buds way faster.

It would require very specific monitorig and regulation of factors. Only hydro could do it.
    Thoughts and suggestions?

10. I grow in DWC and my room is CO2 Enriched to 1600PPM+. At about 100ºF the plant shuts down and stops growing. It does not die it just stops in it's tracks. The growth rate is best for me around 75 to 80. It slows down again below 70. This is not a scientific study and I have few facts to base my findings. I have grown the same strain in the same setup for years. I have had to deal with all kinds of temps.

High humidity is bad for your bud. Keep it dry if you want to smoke the stuff you grow.

11. Thank you - This was usefull data given in simple basic terms. good post.

12. i was in the middle of doing a search and i found your forum.

usually my grow area is at about 75-80 f. i'm doing a hydrponic grow with hydrotons. flood system 4 feedings a day. currently in vegitative growth. co2 1500 ppm, 1000w. light (mh).

i was just on vacation, and when i got back i saw the air conditioners wen off becouse the corb burnt. temperature in the tent was 106f.
    i open the tent expecting to see a bunch of dead plants and to my suprise i see i a jungle!!!!

all the plants were much bigger than when i left. usually they grow about .5 inch a day, they grew an average or 1 full inch per day in 106 f.

what is happening here. i though plants would die at those temps?? why did they grow double as fast. and is this a good thing?

13. Do you know exactly how long the a/c has been off? Could be you arrived back
    just in time to catch them from being changed, damaged, etc. Good to hear that the
    youngin's survived your absence.

14. it was off for about four days.

update: i would not recomend this to anyone becouse my plants are starting to look really bad. a lot of them are drooping and some look like they might die. i guess it took some time for it to catch up to them. just maintain a ggod temerature of about 79 with 1500 co2 level is my advise.

15. Mr. Rumpleskin is correct !!
    Heat needs to be avoided, but can be tollerated with increased amounts of CO2.
    The plants growth slows to a stop in the low 90's and tissue breakdown starts there after.

Optimum scenario is low temps with elevated C02 PPMS

16. I have a quote from a repupable hydroponic book that says you should stop C02 when you reach 90 degrees and why. I'll post the quote later when I find the book....

17. Here's a quote from a great growing book called Secrets of High Yield Plant Growth.

"Any time an indoor garden temerature goes above 86F, start limiting supplemental C02, and above 90F stop all supplemental C02 because the stomata openings that also regulate the plant's water pressure will be fully closed and unable to take in any CO2."

"The stomata will not re-open for cooling purposes while a strong C02 excess signal is present. First the C02 must be corrected or the overheating water in the leaves will lead to cell destruction, from which the plant may never full recover."

Both quotes located page 57. Great book !

18. ok but what about having high temps, co2, AND a rez chiller?