Books/reading thread

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by av8610, Nov 23, 2008.

1. okay goddamit. i had a nice long post written out that no one would probably read, but something messed up and it didn't post.

Anyway. I'm reading Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhosue Five. Next I'll read Breakfast of Champions or Christopher Moore's Practical Demon Keeping, which is his first book and his only that I've yet to read (Moore is my favorite). Kinda like how I eat my favorite part of a meal last.

Here's a couple recommendations:

Christopher Moore, Tony Vigorito, and Chris Genoa are all great if you like funny and somewhat insane reads. They make me wish I could smoke what they're smoking.

Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth is a great epic about a cathedral builder in the 1100's. I've read it a number of times and once I start I can't put it down.

So, what are you reading today?

2. I was having a conversion with my english teacher once about Kurt right after he died..
    I should get around to reading slaughterhouse. Sounds like my cup of tea.

3. you could not even understand a previous forum conversation so how do you expect to understand any books at all?

4. Do you have anything better to do than antagonize other users.
    Seriously get the fuck out. Im sure many wouldnt care if you were banned.

5. Yeah get the fuck out.

back to the subject, been reading a bit on Neil Gaiman lately..hes fuckin awesome aye. Got a few of the Sandman graphic novels, they're trippy as fuck and so interesting and deep..yeah he's definitely one to check out

6. wahhhhhhhh you shure sound smart for using antagonize

7. This isn't how we operate at Grasscity.. Be chill, or leave. :wave:

8. wahhhhhhh everybody that uses slang is stupid wahhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhh

9. ignore him. this is about books.

i read slaughterhouse V a few months ago. i thought it was a pretty good book.
    right now, i know it sounds lame, but im on the second book of the twilight series, a good friend of mine recommended them to me. its actually reaally good.
    next on my list is "The Brain that Changes Itself" --its obviously about the brain, but it goes into detail about why we do things, addiction and all sorts of other interesting stuff :) hahah

10. movies are generally shittier than the books.

twilight is a series of 5 books, i think, about a girl who moves to a new town meets a vampire, falls in love. he moves away. and all the little adventures in between. hahah im only on the 2nd book so i cant tell you much more. the first one i read in 3 days, super good i thought, the second one is a little slower.

slaughterhouse v is one of the weirdest books ive read...i dont really know how to explain it.

11. Chuck fuckin' Palahniuk.

Reading 'Rant' (again) right now. Still need to pick up his new one.

Can't wait to see how Choke turns out as a movie. :smoke:

12. omg so a fictional book doesnt get the facts right. how terrible.
    im not trying to defend it or anything. have you attempted a read or are you just basing your opinion on those two articles and what your other buddies say?

dont yuck my yum :) haha

13. #15 highlife101, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008
    :smoke:

fuckin' is spelled "fucking"

"fuckin" lmao smooth good one

your stupid for using slang terms. I would have given you neg rep like you gave me but i think iam like -135 now idk

Disrespect doesn't fuckin' float here. *RMJL

14. Actually it's spelled fuckin' if I decide to take off the G and substitute a '. :cool:

We play by my grammar rules here, kid.

Just because you're getting picked on doesn't mean you need to get all butthurt, you know. Didn't your mom ever tell you to turn the other cheek?

15. ooo i forgot about neil gaiman. his books provide a fantastic read. american gods is great.

a buddy of mine is an avid reader and likes some pretty deep stuff. when he told me he'd read the twilight series i balked, but we talked about it and he convinced me that they're worth reading. although i like to stick to the stuff that's more out there.

which leads me to herman hesse. has anyone made it through glass bead game? i'm very interested in it, but i've stopped reading it a couple times cause it's just a little difficult to wrap my head around.

16. You like Chris Genoa do you?

Take a look at my username :)

I absolutely loved Foop! and can't wait to read more of his stuff

17. Jim Morrisons poetry is a worthwhile read.

18. Yes, definitely a fun read. I like when a book leaves me wondering where the hell the story came from. Authors like Genoa must have some level of insanity.