book suggestions? pretty fucking please

Discussion in 'General' started by Know, Jul 16, 2011.

1. i've read everything i own

need one you can't put down

of any genre

2. The alphabet of manliness.

3. Insomnia- By Stephen King. Anything by Stephen King is amazing, but Insomnia is my favorite. Plus it's like 1100 pages, so it'll last you a while.

If you like detective/action type stuff, check out an author named Lee Child and his Jack Reacher series. Some good shit right there.

4. Here are all of the books that I own/ have read. Feel free to lurk around and find something you like.

5. If your interested in meditation, I suggest Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratara. Great guide to learning Vipassana, or insight, mediation.

6. The Life of Pi
    Animal Farm
    Game of Thrones
    The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire
    anything by Edith Hamilton
    anything by Frank McCourt
    Beowulf
    Dante's Divine Comedy
    The Holocaust Chronicles
    The Long Hard Road Out of Hell
    In Cold Blood
    Essays and Sketches by Mark Twain
    The Complete Works of William Shakespeare

And since I only own 5 copies of it, Jany Eyre

7. The Road By Cormac McCarthy

8. Anything F Scott Fitzgerald. I have a book that's a collection of short stories called Tales of the Jazz Age. Very good.

On the Road by Kerouac. Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis.

9. The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
    Holographic Universe - Michael Talbot

10. Freakonomics

11. Ishmael
    The Story Of B
    My Ishmeal

All by Daniel Quinn. Read them in that order. I couldnt put them down

12. this shit looks like the list of books i had to read when i was in highschool -____- fucking george orwell and his damn animal farm book that had nothing to do with fucking animals!!!

...it was a intresting book tho lol

13. What do you own?

Have you read this?

[​IMG]

14. read the encyclopedia. backwards.

15. I'm currently going through the Bachman Books(Rage, Long Walk, Roadwork, Running Man). Haven't started Running Man yet. They're good. Not great. Next is Hearts in Atlantis, but after that I'm calling it quits on King.

Yes. Yes. A thousand times YES!!!

As for other books...if you want to go sciencey try some Ray Kurzweil(The Singularity is Near, Age of Spiritual Machine) or some Stephen Hawkings books. Sci-fi? Dune is huuuuge. Ray Bradbury is usually short, but amazing.
    Some Poli-sci good reads: End the Fed, SUPERfreakanomics, Blink, Tipping Point, Confessions of an Economic Hitman.
    I usually stay away from straight up fiction but I've enjoyed Crichton books like Jarassic Park(better than the movie) SPHERE(better than the movie) Congo(better than the movie), and I own Andromida Strain but haven't read it.
    Uhhhh, MASH was great, but short. Catch-22 was good.

But hey, if you've got time, why not blow through those classics that most of us never had time to read. I read Ana Karina but never started War and Peace.

I sometimes wish I had some sort of bed ridden disease so I could just sit and not be distracted by my computer or my tv or my job or my friends, and just read. read, eat, sleep and shit.

16. I'll gladly trade you places.

17. GREAT SUGGESTIONS EVERYONE

just what i needed

thanks!

thats a tight website

fuck technology and all it's temptation!!!

thanks again people

18. fear and loathing

or anything hunter s thompson for that matter

19. Anything by Leon Uris. <3