Bonsai Mums?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Mystic, Jun 28, 2007.

1. I've found a thread on HG420.com talking all about Bonsai your Mum plants so they take up very little space.

Anyone on here have a Bonsai plant?

I'm going to do a few for sure...doesn't look real hard...pretty simple concept.

EDIT: IF YOU HAVE A BONSAI PLANT.....PLEASE POST PICS!!!

2. i've heard of it, but never done it. it mostly consists of alot of pruning the roots, correct?

3. What's cool about this bonsai idea is that you can bonsai the mother plant from a clone of a good producer. The guy I'm referring to has all his bonsai mothers under 12" high and he keeps them in a 4" pot.

He says he can pull about 15-20 clones from it every couple of weeks and the clones he grows to full size.

It's a cool way of being able to have let's say 4 mothers in a 2'x2' square and very minimal height. Hell with flouros, you could put this setup in a 2x2x2 box really. I'm in the planning stages currently.

Oh yeah, and you have to do major LST on the bonsai to maintain shape.

I'm going to start a journal for the bonsai I'm going to do...so stay tuned.

4. Attached Files:

5. Here are some pics for ya'...........

Attached Files:

6. How much do you yield off of such a little plant???

7. how do u grow a plant that small and how long does it take?

8. I haven't done it yet, but loved the idea, which is why I started the post.

But anyhow, basically, you want to limit the plant to a 4" pot and when they are rootbound completely and you water them and the water just flows straight through, you need to take them out, trim the roots, put in fresh soil and put them right back into the same pot.

You will have to LST the branches to train it to stay short and you will also have to do frequent trimming...but I'm going to bonsai one of the plants I have going right now, so stay tuned...

ANYONE ELSE HAVE PICS OF BONSAI??

9. Here are some more pics for ya'all..
    Welcome to Dr. Buds Bonsai mother room.....:D

Attached Files:

10. That's just flat beautiful..

I love it!!!

I'll be there by this time next year...I'm still a rookie.

11. Cutting my clones for my mother plant tonight. Hold on tight...it's time.

12. yeah i have been very interested in making bonsai mums as well

I have been planning on making them for the past few months...

I also have the article by oldtimer 1 (essential reading!!)

I will be taking clones today that will in time become bonsai mother plants...will update with progress report in a few weeks...peace out..

13. updates??

ps im thinking of doing bon sai moms too think this is a good condidate??

[​IMG]

14. MY CLONES DIDN'T TAKE ON THE PERILITE H2O METHOD, SO I MADE AN AEROPONICS TUPPERWARE CONTAINER BIG ENOUGH FOR 4 TO 6 CLONES. IT'S LIKE 4 INCHES WIDE BY 8 INCHES LONG AND ABOUT 3 INCHES DEEP. I THEN BOUGHT SOME TUBING AN AIR PUMP, 4 AIR STONES AND SOME OF THE T SPLITTERS. MADE AN "H" SHAPE WITH THE T'S AND TUBING AND HAVE 4 AIRSTONES IN THE 4 CORNERS OF THE CONTAINER SO THERE IS BUBBLES THROUGHOUT. WE'LL SEE IF THIS IS EASIER...IT SEEMS EASIER...HARDER TO OVERWATER FROM WHAT i'VE SEEN SO FAR. JUST MAKE YOUR BUBBLES POP RIGHT AT THE BASE OF THE CUT STEMS.

I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED IF MY NEW CLONES WILL TAKE FROM FLOWERING. i'M PRETTY SURE IT'S A MOOT POINT THOUGH BECAUSE THEY ARE ALMOST 4 WEEKS INTO FLOWER.

Sorry for Caps...

Also, that looks like a pretty good candidate to me if you can get it to branch from those nodes. Me personally, Id make a "ring" shape with that stalk and really try and set a sturdy "base" that over time will harden and solidify in it's position. So in other words, LST it into shape and keep it there until it hard and solid, then you can remove pipe cleaners, etc.

15. Ok, so I haven't been a good boy in keeping this thread alive, but I want to tell you a story...a story of inspiration. A story of determination. A story of the ultimate test of patience....

THE STORY OF A BONSAI

It all started some 5 months ago when a little seed of Blue Mystic was germinated...this girl was a beautiful plant she was growing so good, her caretaker was loving the possibilities of what she would do for him in a few months.

This poor beauty would give her life for his pleasure...and there was nothing she could do about it.

As time went on...the caretaker took time to feed her and trim her branches and shape her into a spectical that would bring a tear to a MJ lovers eye...

Well, the days, weeks, and months went by and every day she spent with her caretaker he seemed to get more and more anxious and kept saying, "We only have a few more days." She always overheard her caretaker talking of going out of town and have to cut her early...little did she know what those words meant....

The time had come...before the morning sun...a faint light......and her caretaker smiling bigger than she had ever seen him smile before...then...OUCH...what was that??

That did not feel like a trim...that was a main branch, she thought....OUCH!...not again...that was my favorite flower, she paniced...

With each OUCH she got colder and colder...her mainstalk and a short stem was all that was left...with just 3 little flowers....she kept waiting for the final cut...waiting...

But that final cut never came...but all of sudden...OUCH!...her roots were being cut...why was he doing this to me she thought.....

Then....what's that?...AW...I know what that is...that's water...nice...fresh water...with...Yummy...a taste of molasses...and what's that...ooh...nice fresh soil...this is cozy....WOW...that looks like the shiny things...but these are white, not yellow....

AS the day remains day...she keeps wondering when it'll be time to sleep...but she is so happy with how's she's growing once again and is looking, oh so beautiful once again...

She sometimes gets disappointed...and misses her larger home...but she has been humbled into a smaller home and once again has the chance to be beautiful.

Just as she loved him...her caretaker has visited her several times today...so many times I can't keep count she thought to herself...but she loves for him to see how much she's grown. Her caretaker has babied her so...she is so happy once again...

She always wonders if she'll ever sleep again....

TO BE CONTINUED....

These pics will show the progress of the reveg...The Last 2 pics are the before pictures....sorry they aren't in order..

Attached Files:

16. Lookin good Bro.....lookin good.....she will have some real cool limbs as she gets older....:wave:

17. WW in a 3gl rubbermaid shoe box Aero Bucket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]