Bonsai Mums: A Guide

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by nugglord_420, Nov 9, 2008.

1. #61 Bonsai Bob, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
    So great someone posted info on this. I like bonsai growing, not just to keep a momma for future plants but also to bud and harvest. Nice to have a little quality smoke and very little trouble if caught (depending on your location).
    EDITED TO ADD PIX: First picture is top of an 8 inch tall Bonsai, the second is a closeup of the right side branch. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. whatttt that's awesome bob. how long did u have to veg it like that to get that curve in there? and did u just like bend and tie down? care to elaborate on the excellence

3. It is a plant that was allowed to grow out a bit, maybe 12 to 15 inches tall. Then it was topped at the fourth node bringing it back to around 4 inches tall. What you are seeing is the 2 shoots that came out of the top, forming a V shape. Total yield on this plant was only 6 grams of dried, trimmed little nuggs.

Another thing you can do to keep em small is to let a plant grow up maybe a foor or so, then top it and root the top. This can give you a nice small plant that has branches coming out the sides right above the soil line. This eliminates wasted main stem height.

4. Well I have a bunch of future moms coming up and decided hell with it going to try to start 2 of them early. Have 2 of them only 2 weeks old and going to try to start shaping them even at such a young age. One of them had to be transplanted very early because of PH issues and recovered from it with out a problem, so might as well see what happens after a visit with the scissors. The second candidate have 2 babies of so can compare it against it sister who remain untouched till I get my first clones. Worst case I will lose the 2 plants but may gain some knowledge in the process. Best case will have complete control over future growth. Camera dead so pics in about 1h.

5. Ok some pics. First is my mini scissors sharp as a razor and all metal so easy to sterilize. The first plant that got the chop is one of my Blue Mystics, been getting some weird leaves on it and everything has been packed, have tried to get it to stretch a little but refuses to grow up so figure it was a prime candidate for the experiment. As of right now only 10 days old had to back fill the pot some to so got a pic of the roots, I usually leave some room to add some soil to deal with stretch but like i said this plant never wanted to come up so had to pull it and add more soil roots look great through and was able to get it out without much harm done. Next one which is Strawberry Blue super small is actually 16 days old, had a do some surgery early in life. Back story to that is broke my PH meter and was waiting on a new one and had to plants going yellow quick and starting to die on the tips at a few days above ground. I knew something was up and decided had to take action before they died so pulled them from pots and striped them of there cubes and put them back into fresh mix. After i got my meter tested some of the soil from those pots and the PH was like 5.1 not sure why those 2 pots where so far off from my others but managed to save the seedlings. In the second pic you can see where I removed the tips and cotyledons since they were dead.

Attached Files:

6. hey can you help me choose my nutrients. Im going go grow the mothers in soil under 115 cfl lamp. Which to choose? I looking something like root/growth stimulator + some enzymes or other type of boosters.

7. do u have to trim the roots of a weed bonsai if u grow it for flowering buds?

8. #68 inda, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2010
    All I have ever used is GH Bloom/Micro and Superthrive Indoors. Back in the day outdoors would use blood meal, guano, peat moss, wood ash, lime, fish emulsion. Depending on mostly what I felt like the soil needed. Looking into some of the subculture though for my mothers help them keep healthy and switching to organics for them. I know you want to keep them on a pretty tame feeding program so they do not get huge and using constrictive pot sizes means really wont need to much of a root enhancer since they will become bound quick. In the past I would only feed them if they looked like they needed it.

Cheap Fungi
    Rooter's Mycorrhizae

9. Ok got pics of the strawberry blue 5 days from cut. It is taking alot better to it then then the Blue Mystic. Maybe it just my imagination but looks like I am going to get 6 main branches off this. As for the blue Mystic it is so tight in there can even see what going on may have to prune leave to make room for branching got like 6 leave set in coming out of an area the size of a quarter.

Attached Files:

10. If I read right you said that is a 7 year plant.. I will just pick up my jaw now. Never have I seen anyone have a mother plant that long.

11. hi can you tell me the size ot the pots that i have to use for the mums in litres or something more metric :D

12. The 7.5"by 7.5" by 10" rose pots are little over 7 liters.

13. Been dead on here lately but with the 7.5x7.5 rose pots getting mums about 12-14 inches tall need to prune them back every 4-6 days to keep them reasonable. Having success using tone down Lucas formula with an addition of Maxicrop liquid seaweed 1ml per liter to help them take the stress. Was running about 1100 uS on nutes (about 280 of that is water alone) but may tone it down further to slow growth. Can get 6 in that space it is about 28" wide and 20" deep.

[​IMG]

Full size
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...l-l-lights-4-cubes-220w-each-pix-g2-30111-jpg

14. Hi im starting my bonsai mums in a few days. Im ordering now some square pots that are 7L. For now i have only one nute advanced hydro GROW. Should I buy something else they have something with enzymes(which helps with the stress) and root stimulator. I can order them with the post all together. Ill use for the mums Grow enzymes and root stimulator. And for the clones just some clonex and root stimulator. Is that okay? Do I really need them? I want to have everything that will help my plants grow faster make clones fast root fast ect... :)

15. Still working on getting a good cloning method down for myself. I used to just cut powder and stick in dirt back in the day. But now that I am moving to hydro I want to avoid dirt. Using Slingers bubble method and just use super thrive, which you can pick up a 60ml bottle at just about any decent size store with a gardening department for maybe $6-$7. Will make about 60 gallons at full strength.

As for my feedings vs waters I am just doing it by look. I almost feed every time with a weak solution maybe every 3rd time water and when I do water it is in the form of a flush to keep salts down. Using GH micro/bloom since that what is going in my buckets anyways and do not want to have to deal with using separate nutes for mums, otherwise I would have just used some organic soil mix. I put super thrive in with my feedings for my mums every other time at .5 ml a gallon and addition use Maxicorp liquid seaweed which is maybe $12 a bottle online. The instruction on it are pretty vague aka half a cap full per gallon, I tried one time and decided it was putting way to much salts into the soil, so now go with about 1 ml per liter (4ml a gal) every time a feed and water ect. Brown seaweed is loaded with a feast of vitamins notably B1 thiamine (anti stress), K which is used in photosynthesis. Contains IAA which is a growth hormone and mostly potassium in terms of your macro nutes.

The containers that at the top of post are a lot smaller then what I am using right now but at the same time my genetic libaray is only Blue Mystic, Strawberry Cough, Yumboldt 47, and Strawberry Blue although with the dutch passion freebies coming up might add some more. :).

16. so nice to see some old overgrow articles!!! It's a shame it was ever shut down.

17. good read indeed, very informative.

gonna make use of this in the future

18. Inda,

What kind of strength were you using of GH nutes to feed your mom in soil?

19. I keep it as low as I can get away with but for the most part stick at 500 now then bump it up with they lose to much color or calcium starts to show deficiency. I probably could get away with lower with Cal Mag but for now it is fine they still grow a faster then I need. Made some home made Air pots that are a lot smaller and so far they are looking promising the 2 I have now testing them out are at 400 no problems yet.

20. Thanks for the direction inda.

Is this process any different from seed? Or is it identical?

My stealth mother box is complete, I just wanna make sure I have all the angles worked out before I put seed to dirt.

Thanks again