Bongsauce's micro cabs and stuff. (help thread)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Bongsauce, Oct 29, 2010.

1. I ordered another quantumboard from HLG. A 288 3500K board. They were all out of kits and slate2 heatsinks, so I just ordered the board solo. I have a driver on the way....an HLG-120H-54A .

I decided to just retrofit the panel to my old mars2 heatsink. A bunch of the leds were burnt out on the mars2 so I just junked what was left of the leds and pulled the heatsink out. I saved the (8?) drivers but I don't really plan on using them since they are such low quality and low efficiency.

724 001.JPG 724 002.JPG
    The mars2 heatsink is a pretty good fit. A little wide on all sides but that's fine, it will help to dissipate the heat. The heatsink is actually a piece of aluminum with the 2 heatsinks thermalpasted and screwed into it. I was able to loosen a middle screw and slot the center notch under it. So I only had to drill and tap 2 holes. The 3 points of contact should be fine...actually I'll go back and put some loctite on the screws to be safe.

Just waitin a few more days on the driver then it will be mounted next to my other quantum board. It will replace about 9 x 12w led bulbs. I'll probably run it at about 80-100w to cover a 18"x22" area.
    :popcorn:

2. Bongsauce, earlier in this thread you had reccomended the Panasonic whisper for a filter, I am going to go with that with the carbon tray filter tutorial that's out there. I did up the size of my cabinet to 18x34 x 36h do you think the 84cfm panasonic will be enough. I will be using 35w per sqf screw in led. Thank you in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hi man. I assume your talking about bulenath's tutorial with the carbon tray. Yeh I think it will work. Make sure not to restrict the airflow on either the intake or exhaust side and you should be good. If you restrict the airflow on either side, the whisper fan will sort of 'gear up' to account for the change in resistance and get a little louder. Might want to make the surface area of the filter as large as you can.

Make sure to get the right model as well.There's a ton of them out there and afaik there's only 3 models that are 0.3sone . For reference here's the model numbers. 80cfm is #FV-08VQ5, 110cfm is #FV-11VQ5, 150cfm is #FV-15VQ5.

4. Thank you, ordered it and was delivered today...made the tray frame. The whisper is for my flower box but I'm haVing temp issues in my veg mother box...I have 2-120mm pc fans 1 in and one out as well as 8- 3/4" pvc elbows as passive vents. I need to cool it down like 6 degrees...I'm thinking another set of 120mm fans, but how to mount them. My options are
    At the opposite ends of current intake and exhaust hose to give a little help (kind of stacking the fans with some hose between)
    A 2nd set of intake and exhaust
    Any combination of the above. Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. uhoh math stuff inc.

First, let's compare the size of your intake to your exhaust. A standard rule is - the (passive) intake should be 2x the size of the exhaust so you don't restrict airflow. 120mm fan as exhaust equals- 120x120= 14400squareMM exhaust. a 3/4" hole equals ~283.5²mm of surface area(roughly). 253.5 x 8(holes)=2028. So adding the 120mm intake to the 8x 3/4" holes (14400²mm) you still only have (roughly) 16428²mm intake. Which leaves you (about40%?)short of the recommend 2x intake size(28800²mm).

So if all that made sense, first thing I would do is open up the intake a bit. Probably adding about 10000²mm(16square inches) to the size of the intake area. Take before and after temperature measurements and see how much that helps you temps. If that's not enough, I would just add a secondary 120mm exhaust fan and continue to open up the intake area till you lower the temps enough. That new intake(if necessary) can either be passive or you can add a 120mm intake fan...just make sure it's all balanced(meaning 2x intake size compared to exhaust size.

surface area on circles can be deceiving. Ten x 1 inch holes does not equal a 10 inch hole....not even close. That's why all my intakes are square! easier maths lol! ;)

6. Hello again! Oh, I've been preparing for buying COBs for so long. And now these new magic lights QB :)

I grow in PC case (1-2 plants), inner space 25.6”h X 19.7”w X 7.9”d. I was thinking about buying 2-3 cxb3590 3500K and run them at low current to get 30-100 W. Is it good idea to buy 1 QB288 instead of COBs? Now I found QB288 3000K and 4000K. Will one QB288 3000K be enough for veg and flowering?

English is not my native language, so I hope I wrote more or less clearly )

• Like Like x 1
  7. your english is great. :)
    it kinda sucks sometimes that lighting technology is moving so fast, it's hard to keep up! ...all that research on cobs, and now quantum boards appear and they are better and cheaper. I did my cob research too, but moving forward I plan on sticking with quantum boards.

If it's in a pc case, a 3000k quantum board would be a great fit. They are 6.833" x 11.25. The quantum boards have same or better efficiency as high bin cobs. The QBs spread the light far better though, this makes a huge difference in micro grows...the plants don't have to fight for light because light is everywhere. You could probably run it at about 25-30w and have fantastic results. Running it that low would also save you money on a driver because lower powered ones are quite a bit cheaper. Too bad you pc case isn't a little bit wider because there is a new quantumboard out that would work great but it's a little too wide at 9.5" x 11".

Running a quantum board at about 30w or less would require no heatsink as well..so there's added savings and more headroom (which is super important in a small grow). I think in a pc case about 30w would be the max you would need for power. I'm not sure about driver specs because I've only bought QB kits..but I'd be happy to help you figure out which driver to get to save a little money. A ~150w driver that comes with the kit runs about $65usd...I'd guess you could find a lower wattage driver(20w-30w) for about $25.

I also have a pair of 9"w x 12"d speakerboxes that each have a cxb3590 @28w. They work good but the single point of light forces the plants to crowd around it. If the boxes were just an inch wider I would switch to QBs for sure.

8. Ik this thread has been dead for a little bit but got and suggestions for this I and gonna put weather striping on door and need to find a way to apply pressure on the door to create seal and if possible also a lock 15309452290531993785926.jpg
    for right now I have roofing rubber cut in small strips on it but it doesn't seal all to well unless a lot of pressure is applied and the little snap locks just to hold the door in place isn't cutting it 1530945423581353164607.jpg this is the bottom door and it lets some light out just want a more sealed door for light order and what not
    1530946134896644148530.jpg This is the top door if you look at it from under neith you can see the door is somewhat warped hence me wanting applied pressure and possible lock to create seal
    153094620209281202444.jpg this cab was ment to have the doors open side ways but for me to make it be able to grow I had to flip it on it's side causing negative force on the bottom boor
    Again need a way to seal the door and apply pressure to create seal
    Thanks

Attached Files:

9. sorry I missed you @SaHt420 , I hope you got it figured out. I recommend a large strong magnet to pull the door closed and create a tight seal. I used a harddrive magnet.

10. Dude are you still growing?

• Like Like x 1
  11. hell yeh everything's still going strong. \o/

• Like Like x 1
  12. You should post a few updates. I'd love to see the garden!

• Like Like x 1
  13. here's a few shots of some GDP x blueberry. I love the contrast in colors. Btw, GDP genetics [at least mine] are very dominant for structure, smell and color. Everytime I've crossed it, it ends up looking like the mother plant.
    The 4th pic is some blueberry from seedsman that I'm not too happy with. Weak smell, nothing like blueberry. 1 of the 3 fem seeds went autoflower as well. Also one started showing bananas so I threw it in my small speakerbox to contain it. I plucked a few nanners off and it dosen't seem to be popping more...but I doubt I'll keep these phenos or try this strain again.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hey Bongsauce! Glad to see you're still around and about. I'm setting up for a new grow and have to deal with weather for the first time. It's been a long time, so I'd be interested in what you like nowadays. I'm going quantum board cause it seems like the thing to do. I'm doing a 4x4 tent with 480W of qb because I have the space, and remember just wishing that I had a little bit more space when I grew before. But now I'm thinking that long term probably just need a single 135W 3500k in a 2x2 and do a scrog for fun. They sell clones around here so I could just buy a single clone and veg and flower under the same light and get a few oz every 4 months or so. I could just get a tent, but I think stealth cabinets are just so damned cool.

So my questions for you are, what do you recommend for vents and filters for a 2x2x6 stealth wardrobe? Would I need to vent to a window, or would something this small be able to vent into the room and get enough air exchange. I remember you used to do a cool L bracket construction for a light proof vent, is that what you recommend still? Would you go cpu fan or vortex?

Thanks!

15. Hi man :) I hope all is well. I think you would get plenty of air exchange in a normal sized room to get enough fresh air to the plants. Pay attention to temps though, the room mightn ot hadle the heat if it doesn't have a source for fresh air. The smell might not be 100% stealth though if you are recirculating into the room.

If I had better access to clones I would constantly be running new clones and search for a gem that you like to smoke and does well in your system. Then you can just reveg it or stick to picking up that particular clone if there is a reliable supply.

For stealth fans I like the panasonic whisper bathroom fans(I've ordered mine from homedepot or lowe's). They have a few 0.3 sone models that work great...I think they are 80, 110 and 150cfm. Make sure you're getting the 0.3 sone models though, not all panasonic 'whisperline' fans are created equal. From there I would attach an oversized filter (~ 6"x24")to it. Those fans are 10"x10" square duct on the intake and 4" or 6" duct on the exhaust depending on model. So plan ahead accordingly if you need to convert the square intake to a round one, and they also 'turn' the air 90degrees....as opposed to a vortex or booster fan that will shoot the air straight through.

Those light proof vents are still the best way to go imo. They are called 'scrublouvers' if you need to search how to make them. I think I did a small tutorial on how I build them as well with clear corner angle pieces, gorilla glue and weather stripping for spacers, then I frame them out with some strips of wood and some caulking.

16. Has anyone ever figured out how to light seal euro style hinges?

17. Whaddup bong? Glad you're still around here my dude. Hope all is well! I haven't been on in years, but figured stop by and see who's stick kickin it lol.

Man I always got a soft spot for your GDP, girls are looking fresh as always my friend!

• Like Like x 1