Bongsauce's micro cabs and stuff. (help thread)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Bongsauce, Oct 29, 2010.

1. hi. So the 5 lemon skunk I harvested came out to 40.5 grams. So that's about 8 grams a plant, much higher then I thought. This was a less then optimal run with one of the lemon skunks being a 6" runt. The other 3 blue dream that were in there are still drying but they should have higher averages then the LS. When I used to average about 7 grams a plant of out the speakerbox...that's about equal to a gram a watt(under the old lighting). If I can hit the same 7 gram average with these new cobs that should put my yields up to 2 grams a watt.

Here's a shot of some randoms that I threw into the speaker box.
    815 001.JPG

That crooked blue dream in the front will be the first little plant completely flowered under cobs in this box. My blue dream is a decent yielder too, so in 2 months I'll see if I'm still hitting 7+ grams.

2. Hi.
    I threw a few superskunk clones into one of the cob speakers:
    91 001.JPG
    The 2 on the right are a few days into 12/12. Normally I would boost these plants up more, but they seem to be getting plenty of light from this distance.
    :wave:

I also got a very small 250ml per day dehumidifier. I got it to help with drying...I might build a little sealed box for it to dry buds in...but a rubbermade bin seems to be working ok for now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hi ppl :wave:
    Here we are a few days later...some stretching going on but nothing too bad
    ~ week 2 of 12/12 :)
    95 002.JPG
    Everything goin smooth....I feel like these plants are getting much more light under the new cob. Seems like the stems are fatter, healthier, faster growth. I guess I can wait till the end and compare to my other superskunk run in this cab...I have that logged somewhere in this thread. I can't wait to see how bud development goes this round. I was worried about the clones in the corners getting less light, but I think they're fine. I'm barely boosting these up to the lights and I'm getting less stretch then before and tighter internodes.

You can see I pinch off the bottom few nodes. I do this mostly to make watering easier. Lower buds at that level still develop decently, but I usually end up getting nutes on them or splashing coco into the bud when it's that low....so I just pinch em off early.

I'm pretty excited to see how this run goes. I love these new cob lights so far...I wish I would have invested in them a long time ago. Thanks for following along. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Looking good man! I just read through the last few pages there. Lol that I used your same car stereo analogy to describe the simplicity of wiring up some COBs. Great minds think alike. Haha

I'm curious to see how that single cob does

• Like Like x 1
  5. lol, yeh man wiring a cob is way less wires then a car stereo.

6. here we are again...the plants got put into flower a few days apart so they're at about 8-12 days into 12/12:
    98 001.JPG
    I'm still very happy with the growth. Nodes are so tight.These lights are proving to be pretty amazing. I lowered the plants down, so we'll see how close they get to the lights in these last few days of stretch. I also defoliated a bit...removing about 3 big fans from each plant. I'll remove a few more in another week or so after stretch is over :)

7. 1 week later:
    914 004.JPG
    Stretch is just about done. Just waiting on another inch or 2 from a few plants.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hi!
    918 009.JPG
    918 010.JPG
    stretch is finally done...I got em pretty close to even. 2 of them are about an inch shorter so I'll keep them in the middle so the light spreads better. I'll update when they start to get fat...there's not gonna be much happening for the next few weeks :)
    * the majority of the fan leaves are now removed. I left maybe one or 2 on each plant till they fatten up a little more.

9. hi. bout 1/2 way through flowering now.
    101 001.JPG
    101 003.JPG
    101 002.JPG
    a few more crystals...a little fatter, but still playing the waiting game. I haven't been rotating the plants or anything...and the ones in the corners seem to be developing just fine. Ideally I wish I had a few more vertical inches to get a better light spread..but it's working out. I'll adjust in the future.
    :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi. this is roughly day 63...give or take a day. These could have gone another few days but I was paranoid about mold since this is a new setup and I've seen some mold in my larger buds in the past with this strain (superskunk) ...didn't find any mold this time though :)
    group shot:
    111 002.JPG

macros:
    111 003.JPG
    111 004.JPG
    111 006.JPG
    111a 001.JPG
    They looked great overall...but slightly smaller then I had hoped. Still a great run though imo. I know wet weights aren't the most accurate but I averaged around 23g wet for each plant...my early harvest estimate is gonna be around 1.6g per watt (that's with about 75-80% loss in weight as it dries.). I'll update in a few days and reveal the total dry weight for the 8 small plants.

feel free to ask questions :) hope everyone had a great halloween :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Awesome... just awesome, one cob rocked that shit

• Like Like x 1
  12. thanks alot man...I'm super happy with these lights :)

13. update on dry weight:
    I ended up with 43grams total.
    Here's some numbers and random tidbits:

-@28w (cob wattage only) that's ~1.53 grams per watt.

-with the 4w additional watts from the 2x exhaust fans that = 1.34 grams per watt

-the interior dimensions are 8" x 14" .which is .77 square feet. With my shitty math that equates to about 56grams per square foot of canopy area.

-The cob was about 50% more efficient at producing buds per watt of energy used.

-Temps and therefore humidity were much lower with the cob...make sense since it's half the wattage but also much more efficient at producing light instead of heat.

-I got roughly 33% higher total yield per area with the old 5 led bulbs, but about 60 watts(more then 2x the power).

I think topping once early on and getting 2-3 top colas per plant could push it up to 2 grams per watt and I could pull 2 oz again out of this box. This would also shorten the plants a little, getting them more light overall.

All in all I'm very happy with the results. I feel having a single source of light for all the plants to bunch around, hurt my yields a little. I might try switching to containers that are just a few inches shorter too..that could make the difference.

Quality looks the same.

Thanks for following, I hope you're having a great day :)

random: check out black mirror if you haven't seen it yet..show is great. Best thing I've watched in quite a while.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Damn, man! Around 1.5 grams per watt. That is amazing! Nicely done. Your grows are always stunning. Cheers to ya, mate.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thanks dude.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hi friends. I chopped some gdp last nite. I thought it looked kinda cool. My gloves and scissors were pink after trimming. lol
    112 001.JPG
    112 002.JPG

112 006.JPG
    112 009.JPG
    This is all stuff from under my cobs...well I guess everything is under cobs now, heh.
    cheers. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. #1497 Bongsauce, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    131 001.JPG 131 003.JPG

Hi.

Just a few quick shots of a little auto that I finished up. I kept this one small by leaving it in a small pot and growing it next to my mother plants. This one finished up under the little 15w cobs in my double speaker veg box. Whenever I'm short on clones I just pop a few auto seeds to catch up. This plant is a sour60 F5. I originally got S60 (F0 to me) seeds about 8 years ago and have been fine tuning it over the years as I uncover better structure and genes....making new seeds from stronger males and females as they appear.

*update from the future- this plant ended up at 13.6g dry.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hi. Just a few quick pics of some magenta99 that I'm flowering.

321 007.JPG 321 008.JPG
    I love the way she's looking. I'm pretty excited to see how she finishes up, I think it's about halfway through flower.

A few shots of some superskunk that looked extra frosty.
    321 004.JPG 321 005.JPG

-------
    anyone looking at those new quantum boards? I plan on getting one once they're back in stock at the end of the month. The specs are on par with highend cobs, if not a lil better. They have much better lightspread and can get closer....they seem even easier to hook up too.

19. My second run under my 28w cob is done and dried.

321 006.JPG
    I had a runt in the front middle...it probably yielded about 1/2 as much as the others. Dry weight on this run was 41grams(not counting any popcorn). So for a single 28w cob that's 1.46 grams a watt. This box pulls a total of 32w at the wall...4w of which is a pair of pc fans.
    So even with fans and venting included..that was 1.28grams a watt this round. btw that runt had some of the most frost I've ever seen on this strain in the 7 years or so that I've had it...it was also the plant most situated directly under the light.

Overall I'm super happy with these cobs. I think that I could get much better results if I added a second cob and split the power between them. I might pull this cxb3590 out of here this summer and put 2 cheaper cobs (Cit.1212's) on the heatsink instead and just wire them parallel so I can use the same driver. The single point of light in this tiny confined space is easily blocked.

20. I am running a single 1212 in my old CFL cab for the first run. KILLING IT! This is my first micro cab cob build (have 3590's for a larger area) and so far I am extremely happy (especially since I paid $12 a cob from Kingbrite). The weight these cobs put on the plants blows my mind. I started with CFL's and now IMO you would be crazy not to switch your micro over to COBs.

• Like Like x 1