Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bongs Oil - Easy way to keep your bong clean

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by birdz420, Sep 9, 2012.

1. I had an idea about 4 months ago that I could float a layer of oil in my glass bong and it would keep the layer of resins and burnt and unburnt herb from building up just above the water line. I have been doing this consistently for the last 2 months and the results are nothing less than amazing with benefits I hadn't even thought of.

The idea is to float about 1/8"of olive oil on top of your bong water. (I've tried vegetable and soy oil and it did not work so for now I've found olive oil to work the best.) Not only will it stop the layer from building up on the side of your bong, it also keeps the resins off the stem and outside of the bowl stem. The layer of oil will pick up a lot of the large and small particles that usually float around in your bong. After so much smoking it will turn milky and then later black. That's when I usually change my water.

Cleaning is a breeze! I can change water and completely clean my bong using only hot water and a drop of dish soap. I just fill the bong with a little water, add a drop of dish soap and shake. Most of what's stuck on the bong comes loose just like that. I have a piece of coat hanger and a kitchen scrub if I want it to be immaculate, but I haven't had to do that in the last month or so and it's still very clean. I can clean the bowl using a poker and hot water. It takes me only about 3 or 4 minutes to have a like new clean bong.

And after it's done my hands are perfectly clean! I used to use alcohol, after cleaning the bong my hands would have resins all over them and after cleaning my hands with alcohol as well they felt dry and still smelled like resins. Now after cleaning the bong my hands feel smooth with a very slight oily feel, no smell and they're completely clean.

I hardly ever use the poker anymore.That build up just behind the hole in the bowl still builds up a little but not nearly as much.

A possible health benefit for smokers?I get a build up of phlegm in my lungs after smoking heavily for a week or two. In the past I just quit for a week or two and it went away. Although I'm still monitoring it, I believe it is not building up as much. I'm certainly not coughing as much.

Several of my friends have had the same results after doing it on a regular basis. I haven't noticed a taste difference and, as a matter of fact, it seems like I can get the full taste the herb a bit longer than usual.

So hey, let me know what you think. Have you tried it? What are your thoughts and observations?

2. um isnt thc fat soluble.. yea im not so sure

3. Wait you smoke with olive oil in it? That would trap tons of THC in it as it passed through the water/oil mixture. Not a good idea.

4. exactly its like using beer or vodka as bong water. alcohol like fat is thc soluble so all the great thc is absorbed by the oil

5. Thats prob why hes not coughing as much, hes getting less high, less cannibinoids inhaled.

6. lmao exactly, this poor guy prob thought he was onto something big when in all actuality hes geting less high :D

7. guess his marijuanas aren't over 9000

• Like Like x 1

8. Lol not even close

9. probably looks so weird

10. sorry you got shot down OP; but yeahhh, the oil would definitely absorb some THC; of you want to get the most out of your weed then never use this method again

11. Unlike my fellow blades, I'm not so sure the olive oil is THAT effective at stripping THC from smoke, especially considered how short the two are in contact. (Feel free to prove me wrong though ;))

I like the idea OP, but the only bongs/bubblers I have are either inline or have percs.

I could see a little olive oil getting trapped somewhere in the percs or inline, putrefying, and making my bong forever smell like week-old pussy.

12. Olive oil is absorbing your thc silly, you are not getting as high as you would without it in there. Notice how on all the edibles recipes they say not to use olive oil.

13. They dont say that cuz its better at trapping thc n cbds than budder, they say that cuz its worse at doin it.the more it TRAPS the ingredients the BETTER it is for making edibles not the other way around.lol

14. thissss.

15. [quote name='PhilthyPhil']Thats prob why hes not coughing as much, hes getting less high, less cannibinoids inhaled.[/QUO

I'm not talking about coughing after a bong. I cough plenty after a bong,but I was waking up in the morning and coughing up phlegm. My girlfriend said Iwould stop breathing sometimes at night because I was blocked up. This lead tome having my lungs x-rayed a while back. I was told that there was a build upof phlegm in my lungs due to my smoking habits...a possible precursor to emphysema.

I quit for a month and the phlegm and coughing went away. I began smokingagain and it took about 3 weeks and the cough started coming back. Sincesmoking through the layer of oil my cough has dramatically lessened and Iexpect it to get better. I will probably quit again and then see how long ittakes to come back if at all. I'm still checking this out. And also it's thetars that I believe are being absorbed by the oil and it's the tars that causethe phlegm build up.

As far as the soluble matter, can I ask if the THC will stick to the oileven if I the oil is not being heated?

The truly biggest advantage I see in this is that I'm smoking out of a muchcleaner bong most of the time, taking less time to clean it, not using alcoholfor a cleaner and my hands are clean after it's over. The rest of it is allpure experimentation and just curious what kind of reaction I would get. Thankyou all. I look forward to more debate.

By the way, I'm just a first timer here, but shouldn't the insultingcomments be left out of this discourse. After all I'm just proposing an ideathat has occurred to me. I don't need comments like “silly” and “this poor guy”.I'm right here you know. I can see everything that you're posting…even thestuff that only took all of 3 or 4 seconds of what you apparently consider insightfulthinking to come up with.

As for insulting my weed without having any idea what I smoke, that justplain sucks! I'm not insulting you by posting this. I thought this place wasbetter than that! And I am definitely getting as high as anyone out there onstuff like, OG kush, green crack, blueberry headband, sour diesel etc. etc.I've been smoking for a long, long time and would notice if I wasn't getting ashigh. So please keep your comments helpful and respectful. Is that too much toask?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Honestly I highly doubt their to be a negligable digfference it actually takes time for oils to absorb thc. I think this is a great method and will try this. Unless someone links me something saying olive oil absorbs thc.

17. I remember hearing that a couple drops of lemon juice keeps your bong clean and I don't think it absorbs THC.

18. What I do for cleaning glass is run the item i.e bong, bub, really whatever under got water and get the glass really hot then pour alcohol and salt in it and because its hot its rips out everything which is great because im most always cleaning hash resin which is a bitch to get rid of.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I just use alcohol and salt. When I pour out the alcohol and salt after the bong is clean, I rinse the alcohol out with hot water and my hands never touch it. I'd hate a greasy oily bong. I'll stick with alcohol.

20. Wow! I didn't think there would still be this much of a discussion about thc absorption in ol1ive oil. It's just a thin layer of oil not an oil and water mix,(duh...oil and water?) . The smoke goes first into the water and is cooled for a few milliseconds then it goes through this thin layer of oil in even fewer milliseconds. The oil is not hot and neither are the oils in the herb. If they were hot it might give some credence to the absorption theory.
    Recently I realized that I don't even need to put that much oil in it. Now I put about a quarter teaspoon maybe less to get the same easy cleaning effect. And I'm getting just as high that way as I've been getting all the past months using an 1/8 inch layer. For that matter, I'm getting just as high with or without the oil, but I can get the good taste the herb longer using the oil. Anyway, it's all up to you. This has become my prefered way for now....enjoy!

Oh yeah, I have found 1 downside to using oil in your bong and that is if you spill it on carpet or rugs it's a bigger cleanup than just bong water. I occasionally leave the oil out and almost immediately a brown film developes above the water line. I'll smoke that way for a few days and then go back to using oil. After a few cleanings without using any alcohol, a little at a time the brown film will disappear and the clean clearness is returned....ta da!