Bong vs Vape

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Apollyon1325, May 2, 2012.

1. #1 Apollyon1325, May 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
    I've been smoking a few years now and I've always stuck with pipes but I'm looking to get a new piece. I'm going to branch out a bit and either get a bong or a vape but I thought I would try and get some input before I buy.

My upper limit is around 200 bucks. I've used bongs before but never owned one and I've never used a vaporizer but have heard good things about them

Which is best for that price also any recommendations for your pick of bong or vape would be appreciated.

2. First off i want to tell you that bong and vape will produce different types of high. bong, as you may already know, gives you a massive body and head high along wih a smoked filled lung sensation (if that makes sense). Vape, will more likely conserve bud and will mostly give you a head high, perhaps less lazy.

Now back to your question, $200 you can buy a decent scientific bong but nothing too fancy. Id suggest you check syn, ssfg, toro? Or somewhere n those range.

im not really a vape guy, but i hear people spending atleast $150-$300 for a legit vape so anything in your price range will probably be fine.

Hope this helps!

3. O and i suggest you get a bong, glass lasts forever if you take good care :)

4. yeah dude it really depends. i like bong high's better for like sleep and shit, but during the day nothing beats a vape.

5. Mmm I didnt know the high would be that different. I might go vape then I'm more of a day smoker play games go hiking amusement parks, work too if I get one of my migraines

6. I would absolutely go vape. After I got my vape I've never gone back.

Check out Da Buddha and Silver Surfer. They're the two best whip vapes on the market imo, followed closely by the Extreme Q.

I either use my vape dry, or I take my glass bong, and connect the vape to it.

A vape allows you to adjust the temperature to adjust your high. Lower temperatures will often be a headier high, with higher temperatures moving into the body high.

I have quiite a lot of nice glass that I used to use and buy pretty excessively. Since buying my vape the only thing traveling through that glass is sweet thick vapor.

7. I hardly use my bong at all since I got my vape. A lot of guys that get vapes end up only using their bong WITH their vape. I'll tell you this about vapes. You get what you pay for and good ones start at about $150. Between $150 and about $225 you can find plenty of really top shelf vapes. The Extreme Q or its cheaper bro the V-Tower are in your range and are great vapes. The Da Buddha is in your range. The Silver Surfer which is Da Buddha's big brother is just ever so slightly above your limit, but don't discount it because it's a great choice if you want a little bling to go along with a great vape. If you want to go portable, get the Arizer Solo. If you are dead set on cheap, tiny, and crude, get the mflb, but I warn you, it does not perform nearly as well as the others I mentioned. It's small, it's crude, it works, and it's about as cheap as you should go. If it were me, I'd want either DaBuddha or the Extreme Q. I already have the Solo. I'd be really happy to have any of them though because they are all good ones.

8. Cool thank you guys for the responses. I'll be looking into the vapes mentioned. I'll probably post pics when I get it. Probably won't be tomorrow or anything but I'll get it.

Edit: Just realized I said probably way too many times :D

9. No way get a bong they are far better for just chilling and bunning, much more portable too. I smoke vaps a lot, my buddy has one and I always go the vap lounge in my area so I know how great they are. Once you have your own bong though man a couple fat bowls off that nothing else even compares to that high. Except for maybe some hash oil, but that shit's just a treat for me.

10. [quote name='"brlegend"']No way get a bong they are far better for just chilling and bunning, much more portable too. I smoke vaps a lot, my buddy has one and I always go the vap lounge in my area so I know how great they are. Once you have your own bong though man a couple fat bowls off that nothing else even compares to that high. Except for maybe some hash oil, but that shit's just a treat for me.[/quote]

More portable? How is a glass bong more portable than a vape than can fit in the palm in your hand? Even a desktop vape is more portable than a larger, breakable glass bong.

And I couldn't disagree more. With vaping you get far more actives. Bongs are nice because the concentrate a hit, but who says that concentrated hit has to be inefficient smoke?

Vaporizers are nice, and bongs are nice to concentrate a hit. Vaporizers are better overall, but the team of them combined....whew O.O. You're entitled to your opinion though, I do love me some glass.

11. Good luck plugging your vap into the ground when your outside.
    "Oh what's this I have a water bottle thank god I brought a bong." is what I would say to you for thinking a vap is portable. The fact I had to explain that is bad.

The battery ones are shit to compared to a volcano.

12. Most bongs are shit compared to a Volcano so what's your point?

13. [quote name='"brlegend"']Good luck plugging your vap into the ground when your outside.
    "Oh what's this I have a water bottle thank god I brought a bong." is what I would say to you for thinking a vap is portable. The fact I had to explain that is bad.

The battery ones are shit to compared to a volcano.[/quote]

There's lots of portable vaporizers that are actually quite good. Look at Arizer Solo, Da Vinci. The Volcano is certainly not the best vaporizer out there.

All of them can be used with a bong, and they beat the hell out of smoking. I just don't see the advantage I guess, but that's me. It's easier, healthier, more potent, tastier, and you can still concentrate it with a bong. -shrug-.

14. All i'm saying is if I'm smoking a vap I'm gonna have a bong too because bongs get the job done. If I'm smoking a bong I don't need a vap to me they are all hype with no bite.

15. [quote name='"brlegend"']All i'm saying is if I'm smoking a vap I'm gonna have a bong too because bongs get the job done. If I'm smoking a bong I don't need a vap to me they are all hype with no bite.[/quote]

Honestly if you don't think they have bite, I'm pretty sure you used one wrong. I can't get nearly as high with smoking. But keep at whatever you like.

16. I know how to use one. I'm not saying it doesn't get me high it just doesn't get me as high.

17. I don't know what you were using to vape, but if it had no bite, you must have been using a really crappy one. If you needed a bong after using a vape, I suggest you get a better vape. Try a decent vape and your opinion will change. I sure don't need a bong to get lit. My vape will do the job faster with less herb than any bong I've ever used. By the way, vapes don't smoke.

18. I completely agree. I believe the source for a lot of this vaporizer trash-talk is not understanding the process of how the vaporizer processes the herb.

When you use a vaporizer with weed, you are heating it until oils bubble off and vaporize, then you breath these in. With a bong, you are applying massive amounts of heat that decomposes the entire bowl. Therein lies the source of these problems. As you work through a bowl with a vaporizer you'll be getting different compounds each hit. If you are at a party and share a bowl for example, you may completely miss the aromatics by the time it's passed to you.

Because the "high" is actually a complex combination of dozens of compounds working in sync, this can completely change the feeling you get since you've altered the normal balance of chemicals.

My suggestion for your price range would be a Da Buddha or a Silver Surfer if you can afford the moderate price bump. I do find that these whip style vaporizers are excellent for solo or small group use, but if you plan on having a bunch of people over all the time I might suggest going the bong route.

19. #19 weedwhacky, May 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
    A case for both a portable vape and a bong:

Last night I went out on my bicycle to see the sights, hang out in urban places where there were lots of people. Brought along a very portable vape (won't say what kind so this thread doesn't get turned into another best-vape debate). Was able to get really pleasantly high without anyone knowing, and it was the kind of active high that I wanted for the situation. Had a blast.

Stopped to pick up some snacks on the way home - just for a thrill I did a quick hit in the frozen food aisle. No one even glanced at me. Rode the rest of the way home with a nice head high and a little body buzz.

Stayed up for another hour with snacks, bong. Bong served the purpose of rounding-out the high and making me sleepy enough to get a great night's rest and wake fully refreshed.

Vape = the option to use lower temps to release only the components of weed that give you the more cerebral high, or at higher temps (but still not burning / combusting / smoking) releasing all the compounds that give you the full potential of whatever strain you are using.

Bong = great and cool and fun, but you are going to get everything the strain has to offer, so can't really decide to just tap into the cannabinoids that give you a choice of high. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, the ritual of a bong is half the fun of using one. Pretty rough on my lungs though since I don't smoke weed much, mostly vape.

20. Unique tools for different uses and occasions. Everyone needs both they can't be compared.