Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bong Terminology

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by TheScaryOne, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Anyone got any tips on bong terminology? Throw up what you know, and how it affects the bong. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

Ash Catcher - Catches ash?
    Bowl - Where you put the bud.
    Chamber - Where the smoke rests before you clear it.
    Diffuser - Spreads the smoke out for a smoother, fuller hit. Can be located in several places in the bong.
    Ice Holder - Holds ice in the chamber, cools the smoke so you get a denser, more powerful hit.
    Percolator - ? Seems like it makes the bong toke like a longer bong, while being more compact.

2. Ash Catcher - usually in the form of a bubbler, diffuses smoke before it actually gets to the bong part, filtering the smoke/catching any kicked through ash

Slide/bowl- Where you put the bud.

Chamber - upper segment of bong that usually doesnt hold smoke, but rather is a last pass at diffusion

Diffuser - Separates the smoke out for a smoother, fuller hit. Can be located in several places in the bong. (downstem, ash catcher, perculator)

Ice Catch - Holds ice in the chamber, cools the smoke so you get a smoother, not really denser hit.

Perculator - A tree of diffusers (usually) before the upper chambers, diffuses right before the smoke hits you.

beaker/tube/smoke chamber- the area that the downstem makes contact with, usually the first pass at diffusion but if an ashcather is used it can be the second or sometimes even third diffusion.

downstem- usually a diffuser, connects the bowl to the bong using gravity and suction.

inline ashcatcher- ashcatcher with a sideways diffuser

clear/carb- Hole made in the bong for a clear, usually only on lesser bongs or hurricanes, the hurricane uses the carb so that the hurricane effect can actually work

straight diffuser- diffuser with 1 hole, usually only used as a downstem

phx-style diffuser- actual diffusion; amount of holes makes the diffusion better and the smoke smoother. High end phx diffusers can have 19 holes if im not mistaken

slit diffuser- like phx diffusers, except the holes are actually slits made in the glass, usually not as effective as phx-style diffusers (mainly used for perculators/ash catchers)

disc diffuser- double sided diffusion, splits the smoke once, then forces it through a layer of water to the other side of the disc, where its diffused again.

Tree Diffuser- can be anything that splits the smoke to multiple diffusers; the ultimate in diffusion technologies

GonG- Glass on glass, refers to connections

Connection- Anywhere that 2 separate pieces meet, usually frosted glass for ultimate suction and resistance to sticking due to water.

I loves me some bongs, this is knowledge ive picked up along the way, and I hope its all (or most) of it. If your curious about whats possible with bongs, I suggest checking out sg sovereignty's designs, as well as tokecity.com

sg has revolutionized water pipes imo, and is the first true master. Tokecity is home to many similar artists.

3. nice post yo, + rep.

4. light it up smoke it up inhale exhale

5. joints are made of ground glass, not "frosted"

and what your calling a "phx diffuser" is called a pierced diffuser, and phx does not make the best, not even close

6. agreed

7. yeah ive seen some sick custom pierced, I was trying to think what the exact name was, but i was too high so i went with phx.

I didnt know joints were ground glass. Do you have a link for this? A few of my friends would be as surprised as i am to learn its not frosted.

8. i was thinking of just prodo roor.de or ehle diffusers putting the phx ones to shame

i don't have a link to prove it's ground glass, and don't really care enough to look for one. it's the same as scientific equipment, it's ground glass.