Bong shopping, help a stoner out

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by SkyL1ne, Aug 26, 2012.

1. I know this is a cilche thread but everyone has different preferences so just bear with me.

I'm looking around for my first bong and i don't want to get a simple acrylic carb bong, i wanna get a nice glass slider one. I've been looking on Grasscity to get a feel for what my options are and so far this looks like the best i could get for my budget limit.

I don't want to go over $150 unless i can get something immensely better for a little more cash. I prefer Beaker over Straight and, if someone could tell me about the differences between styles besides looks it'd be appreciated, i definitely want something with a Perc because i don't wanna bomb >$100 for a simple bong.

2. I wouldn't buy that just look around some head shops in your area, trust me you'd be way better with a straight tube with a nice showehead or bubble downstem then some Chinese tree perc. Tree percs give a piece serious drag especially a 19 arm one. You should easily be able to get a nice name brand piece for 1-150.
    Also check out aqua lab technologies website

3. With a beaker you get a bigger hit since there is more water, but I like straight tubes anyways.

If you want the absolute best of that 150, goto apixdeisgn.com right now and you can get a gridded stemline for that much, and it will be your best money ever spent.

4. I bought a 9mm 13" HVY straight tube for $120 on sale for black friday. It is my least expensive tube but one of my favorites. Looks pretty classy too.

[​IMG]

5. yup, there really is no other way to go that wouldnt be regretful:p

6. #6 SkyL1ne, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
    would someone explain what the Inline gridded means? I've never had to shop for a piece. I've always used my trusty standard pipe and my friend's simple bong. Could someone just give me a crash course on bongs? Like how much of a difference do Percs make and what exactly joint size means.

EDIT: At least I know what a stemless bong means and I'd like to stray away from one unless i have to because although I'm careful with my gear and have never broken a piece, my friend told me his brother broken his stemless bong and had to spend quite alot to repair it

7. 1. Stemless bongs >>>>>
    2. Most common sizes are 14mm and 18mm. Make sure whenever buy ashcatchers or bowls to always match it up with your bong. Usually bigger bongs have 18mm because they need more airflow.
    3. Percs work like this...the more bubbles, the more surface area, the smoother the hit. So pretty much the more bubbles the smoother the hit.
    4. Inline gridded is just a type of perc, a VERY VERY VERY good one at diffusing. The inline has 5-12 slits, which are perpendicular to the tube, and those slits are gridded which mean that one slit now has atleast 2 holes, I think each slit on mine has like 5 holes. So my tube has 5 slits and 5 rows of grids which is 25 holes. But I have a very tiny tube. Anything gridded is always better haha.
    5. Percs cool than the tube, but they do add drag. Top of line brands will usually have less drag since they know how to make a proper tube. But I would never go over 2 percs/chambers in my tubes. Right now I only have single chamber tubes.

But really, Stemless bongs is the new thing, and def taking over bongs with downstems.

Trust me stemless is awesome, unless theres no perc..

If your good with your glass, no reason A Apix tube should break, def made from some high quality boro.

What bong did your friend have?

8. #8 SkyL1ne, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
    he got it in some headshop in California back when he was in high school, he forgot the maker but i'm assuming it was a local/small company.

Also Here's my situation there are 2 bongs i like at my headshop one is ~$120 the other is ~$220. the 220 has 1-2 percs(can't remember details exactly) beaker bottom and a diffuser basically exactly what i was looking for but it was too expensive well my friend is getting it so i might get the other one i like but it's a straight tube with an ice catcher, the thing is for the ice catcher it isn't pinches in the glass but about halfway up the tube the diameter is pressed in. No percs and a staright tube seems like there would be minimal drag but wouldn't shrinking the diameter of the tube then opening it back up cause alot of drag because the smoke has to go from ,lets say, 50mm to 20 back to 50

9. nah its not that small of a opening

10. When I'm saying the ice catcher is where the tube shrinks in diameter i mean it looks like this. you sure this wouldn't make much of a difference?