Bong Problem

Discussion in 'Apprentice Tokers' started by Cannabisxz, Aug 22, 2009.

1. I've been having this same issue out of my bong lately too. I use a bowl with a screen that's glass on glass, an ash catcher and bong with a single perc with ice holder. I THINK I MAY HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM. I've been cleaning out the stem of my bowl by running it under hot water in the sink. All the runny gooey resin runs out. Since I've been doing this, I haven't been getting any resin on my lips or teeth.

2. I BELIEVE WE HAVE THE SOLUTION!!

I made an account to comment on this. This thread was made back in 2009. I was also having this problem. I had been smoking for years and never really had a problem except with blunts on occasion. But for the longest time I've been dealing with this. I found this thread searching on google and have been sifting through all the comments. I believe it varies and there's many things that can cause it. I will post screen shots of the comments I found MOST useful. I took most if not all of the tips and gave me good results.
    Pack the bowl light
    Make sure you're bong is some what clean (Js I rinse mine after every session and clean it and store it with new water)
    The position of your mouth on the rig,pipe,bong,etc. could be positioned not completely over the opening or "sealed"
    WATER LEVEL ( if you have multiple purculators make sure you aren't filling it too full resin forms on moisture and the extra water including ice causes resin to form)
    Try not to pack too much
    Try not to inhale too through the rig too quickly
    Try not to let the smoke get yellow Milky or sit in the chamber

THESE ARE JUST TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS TAKE THEM OR LEAVE THEM YOUR CHOICE IM JUST TRYING TO HELP MY FELLOW STONERS ✌

IMG_2329.PNG IMG_2330.PNG IMG_2331.PNG

3. Pack the bowl light
    Make sure you're bong is some what clean (Js I rinse mine after every session and clean it and store it with new water)
    The position of your mouth on the rig,pipe,bong,etc. could be positioned not completely over the opening or "sealed"
    WATER LEVEL ( if you have multiple purculators make sure you aren't filling it too full resin forms on moisture and the extra water including ice causes resin to form)
    Try not to pack too much
    Try not to inhale too through the rig too quickly
    Try not to let the smoke get yellow Milky or sit in the chamber

I'm sad because my favorite way to smoke is ripping the whole bowl in one hit. I think it's impossible to not get resin on my lips when so much is smoked at once. It's just a fact of life we must all accept. :smoking-bong:

4. Well my older brother told me it's from your bong not being airtight usually from your lips letting air in causing that resin to get on your lips

-reply back if this helped had the same problem than rememberd what he said

5. That was a quadruple negative, if anyone's keeping track. :GettingStoned:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Are you grinding the bud up before putting it in the bowl, or just packing it with whole/chucks of bud? I feel like I only encounter this problem with longer hits on grinded on my smaller double perc w/flater mouthpiece.

7. OP is 8 years old they probably won't reply, this is why you check the date on posts...

8. I know homie but the thread was last touched earlier this year

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. #110 BrewsnWeed666, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018

My bad i didn't see that lol it's all good then bro

10. I've been having same problem for few months now, at first I thought it was the downstem because it was little broken. I fixed that, not the problem. Thought it was the bowl. I switched to a cone bowl. Not the problem. I had a ash catcher thought it would help filter out . Not the problem. I've got glass screens. Not the problem. I've cleaned it multiple times. I've been told once it might be the perc .I'm guessing it happens over time Because I've never had this problem with my bong before I've tried with and without Ice. Tried smaller bowls. Different kinds of bud. I've only read about 3 pages of this thread so haven't read everything on here yet. I did notice while smoking tho the bowl and stem get rez built up fairly fast. I've spit out bits of rez I know it's rez because i spit into paper towel to investigate. Shit had me thinking I had lung cancer or some shit. Not cool. My buddy said might be the perc and to try a straight shooter bong but I don't want to downgrade my bong I spent $200 on it and probably another $100 on parts. Might try the carbon filter last resort to see if that works if not probably switch to a dab rig. Just have to save up money for one

11. #112 Established Pilot, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    [I know. It's alot of text. Hopefully it Helps]

I too have experienced this issue. For some reason I don't recall having experienced it in the past, however so I wonder what it's origin might be...

That being said, I'm of the belief that resin-lip originates directly from the bowl itself.

Explanation:
    I use both a SI tall carbon filter, 2011BC Ashcatcher, and a Sovereignty Kingstem all in unison, and I find that no matter how clean those pieces, the bowl, if dirty will lead to resin-lip.

I primarily use two bowls with my setup, swapping them as needed. A Ben Wilson disc diffused slide for smaller personal one hitters, and the standard Sov 4 hole for bigger one hit rips (big, single hits could also be a factor but...) I also have a big roor bowl that can pack nearly a gram - singe hole, for passing to others or puffing on. Bare with me here... I think.that diffusers in slides play more of a role than we may have thought previously. We all know they get better airflow. Why? Well cus there's more holes. Yes. However that really comes into play when resin builds up in the hole, clogging it... My thought is that a diffused bowl, disperses this resin build up, leading to your bowl clogging with resin slower, and you experiencing resin-lip less quickly.

That being said, I think if any bowl is too dirty, or becomes over resinated after hitting, it will lead to tarlip. And I will say, that I find in my experience using each of these 3 bowls for equal time (after a fresh cleaning of course), that the rule is typically that my hits taste better longer, and I go longer without getting resin-lip on an increasing scale directly related to the amount of diffusion in my slide/bowl...

Being that the bowl is right there by the heat souce I assume would also play a role. (How this resin manages to get thru my Carbon, and two levels of water filtration before reaching my mouth, remains a mystery even with this explanation, but my guess is the heat). I've been messing around with different lighting methods. I find that I'm less likely to get resin-lip when using a heated glass wand... I'd like to try an herb-iron someday.

Ever take a hit that just yellowed and gunked up your piece in one hit? And suddenly the bowl is nasty after a single pull? Hits like that or even just hits over time building up in the bowl will lead to resin lip. (but I will say, I get less hits like that with the Ben Wilson - no promo)

Tl;dr:
    • Pretty sure it's the bowl.
    • Possibly Look into a diffused bowl
    • Keep the bong dirty, clean the bowl and test.
    - Stay Smoky

12. I noticed something that sort of helps but idk if you guys smoke with TOB or not but I find there’s way less when I don’t

13. Ok seriously I have the answer. Its happening when your lips are pursed together to much. Just open your mouth as wide as the bong will allow so you get less of a bottle neck effect when the smoke hits your lips. Sounds weird but I just smashed 6 cones, all normal size not loose but not thumbed in there either. First 3 I did normal and got resin lips every time. Next 3 I opened my mouth wider and was clean as a whistle. Felt a little awkward on the first one but was easy to adjust. For real guys an girls this is the key !!!!!!.

14. Then you’re just inhaling more of the bad stuff, if the corners of your mouth aren’t exposed of course they won’t get dirty

15. Hi guys, just made an account to reply to this thread, I've been smoking bongs for almost 10 years, and just a couple of months back, I began to experience what we call the "resin lip." That's when I got curious and started to think about why we get this phenomenon, I've put ice all the way up to my ice catcher. Crushed ice to be precise and pack it tight inside the bong, for some reason, even if the ice is pressed inside, you are still able to take a nice hit, I usually pack about .5 to .6 of a gram per bowl, and hit it hard, if there is no ice, I get this gross and warm disgusting taste of tar and feel the tar itself going inside me like if I had just inhaled a tar ghost. But when I add the ice, the resin cools enough and stays in the ice itself, it actually solidifies and it looks a bit like keif, that's how I've been avoiding it, so in my humble opinion, temp makes all the difference, just try to cool the smoke as much as you can, that will help with the resin build up

16. Finally I have the answer!
    I have read this entire thread from 2009 literally 90% of the posts I can relate to and you guys also taught me a lot, however ..,..
    If you pull your bong then pull your head away from it gently and/or fail to “seal” your mouth airtight against your bong, you will almost every time get resin lips and dutty teeth.
    I am a seasoned bong user and never had the problem until I bought a crappy plastic bong and increased my daily intake, I found this thread after practicing and cleaning and everything and still failing.

But after trying it a million different ways, all whilst holding my mouth tight/hard against the bong every single rip was tasty and zero and I mean ZERO resin lips or dirty teeth!
    Let me know if this helped I appreciate everyone’s help I hope I can do the same :)

Grasscity Deals Near You