Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bong Problem

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Cannabisxz, Aug 22, 2009.

1. #61 jljar5, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
    Sup guys. I've been to grasscity forums before but never registered, until I came to this one through a google search, as I also have experienced this apparent phenomenon and this thread is over a year and half old. I figured out the problem while using a waterfall/gravity bong that I made. It's the kind where the water drains and the displacement of water sucks in air through the bowl drawing in smoke. The bowl burns so hot and quick from such a constant strong air source (its basically like a mini bellows, like blacksmiths use) that the smoke even TASTES different and sticks to absolutely everything. Including the bong itself which is covered in what appears to be tar. And its different than how a normal bong gets coated because its not like that black ashy looking crud that gets on normal bongs, its an even tar-brown coating everywhere smoke as touched. As someone else said previously you can wipe your lips and get brown resin, and you can even kinda taste it if its really bad like the gravity bong I have.

Ok so you're probably asking how do I fix this problem?
    Answer: Don't let your cherry get too hot. That simple.
    I got into the habit of really roasting my bowl smoking out of my bubbler and I think I never noticed how much res would get on my lips unless I smoked out of a bong and my girlfriend recently bought one. I just tried one out of the same bong, but had a metal poker nearby to fluff the weed before lighting AND while lighting to make sure the cherry doesn't get too big and hot. The second part is key. If you still get resin on your lips, its still getting too hot. And if you just fluff the weed I cannot guarantee success. But even after experiencing this for years, I just took a huge rip after trying this method and it seemed to work.
    TheOceanInside and anyone else with this problem please let me know if this helped.

peace

2. Use your saliva its the next best thing next to iso but i dont think you want that anywhere near your mouth

3. #63 jljar5, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
    Also when I get my stuff I de-stem and de-seed (if its reggies) then grind it all up pretty fine. I believe this makes this problem happen more, because faster burning can equal higher temperatures and I believe that's what's causing this... Anyone experiencing this problem please describe how you prepare your weed before smoking and also how much/fast you light it, if you use a torch lighter, how hard you suck, what you're smoking out of, etc.

4. Dont no how old this thread is, but the problem is fucking annoying, smoking bongs for years n years then about a year ago is just started happening out of no where, dosnt happen to my mates when im packin just me, ive replaced bongs, adjusted water levels, changed bongs, put in mesh screnns, nothing works, the only solution ive found to stop it 100% is to smoke with a gause these days sucks i no!!!!

5. Registered to respond to this thread. Been having this problem for a couple years from time to time on different bongs. My observations would agree with the above solutions...you need to pack less weed and in a less dense manner. I tend(ed) to pack 2-3 hits of grinded weed very tightly in the bowl. Also, smaller, faster hits (dont less resin buildup). One last thing I noticed which was mentioned a little bit above, was the bottom shape of the bong. I hit my friend US Tubes beaker bottom and I never get resin on my lips no matter how big the hit or how the bowl is packed, yet when I hit my straight shooter, I run into resin problems. Anyways, I have since started packing very small snaps of grinded weed and started taking smaller rips out of my new beaker bottom biohazard....I have not had resin on my lips yet... (2 months now)..Hope this helps.

6. dont let resin buildup*****

7. this. never had this happen to me with glass or any other bong for that matter.. even plastic :confused:

8. ^^ Im with him ive never had this happen. Do yall have big lips or something. Drink some liquor it will wash it away.

PICS

9. Man Ive tried all of these,

No ice in the chamber, less water in the levels, and making sure the bowl is light and poked around, not letting the cherry get too hot, STILL resin on my lips and tongue. It's nasty.

I seem to have this problem only with high end glass, maybe something to do with how much water the smoke is exposed to?

Anyone find a solution?? :smoke::confused:

10. Use the water that the bong was designed to hold. That should solve the issue.

11. [quote name='"Good Day"']Man Ive tried all of these,

No ice in the chamber, less water in the levels, and making sure the bowl is light and poked around, not letting the cherry get too hot, STILL resin on my lips and tongue. It's nasty.

I seem to have this problem only with high end glass, maybe something to do with how much water the smoke is exposed to?

Anyone find a solution?? :smoke::confused:[/quote]

I don't understand man...this has never ever happened with me. I've smoked all sorts of glass, low end to high end, and I've never even heard of this happening.

12. my oc.

Attached Files:

13. it happens when you take a giant bowl pack in one hit

14. Try putting some really hot water in your bong and continuously rinse it out. Also, boil your slide that could cause a problem as well.

15. #75 Good Day, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
    Man out of all the time I've spent smoking her, I've figured it has to do with the amount of water in my top perc, the way my splash guard is designed, water gets trapped up in the tube when you rip it, creating all that resin which then accumulates on my lips. Cuz moisture + weed smoke = resin. If I keep the top perc filled minimally, and have no Ice in the pinch cuz it eventually melts and adds water to the perc... Then I don't have this problem.

I also found keeping the cherry from burning super red hot helps too.

SOLUTION: water levels.

16. I beleive this problem can occur due to a number of factors.
    I have owned a simple Agung glassy for a good year, and for a solid two months it was playing it, giving me horrible resin lips. It was ruining my smoking experience. I was cleaning my bong in washing powder, and i believe the salts and chemicals reacted with the glass in such a way that the resin no longer would stick to it. It changed the chemistry of my bong if you will. So I went back to good old dish washing liquid and scrubbing, which brought it back to it's former, no resinous lips glory. I then dicovered Isopropyl alcohol and natural rocksalt as a much more efficient cleaner. Have had no problems using that method with that particular bong.

I then bought a more elaborate glass bong, with all glass stem and cone. Immediately upon purchase this bong gave me resin lips. I was fuming. Couldn't believe it. I then purchased a new glass stem, cone and a carbon filter. This immediately fixed my problem, with or without the carbon filter, the new stem and cone were not giving me bong lip.
    which leads me to this hypothesis:

The way the nasty tar's and resin's stick to the bong depends on the adhesive properties of the glass it comes into contact with during vacuum. Now excess moisture will contribute to the problem, it will prevent the nasties from sticking to the glass, acting as a cushion, we know water and THC don't mix and the tar flies straight up your bong into your gob. Thoroughly rinse all smoking implements with hot water (not boiling) after cleaning. Some glass products seem to have better tar adhesive qualities so shop around and find the components that work best, I recommend Black Leaf for aftermarket bong components. Use only tried and tested cleaning methods, avoid washing powders and chemicals that could alter the chemistry of your piece. Even a very light sand with a rough scourer or steelwool can produce the desired "tack" effect, because you would rather the resin in your bong then on your lips, right?

Hope this helps any ents in dire straights with bong lip.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Damn it guys I got the same problem to maybe for a couple months now, funny thing is how it i've had the piece for about 6 months and it was fine for the first 4, never got res lips or teeth but now it happens almost everyime. I think it could be something to do with how your lung capacity and ability to destroy huge hits improves over consistent use.

I'm using a Hoss double disc perc with an ash catcher most of the time. Thought maybe it was some nasty's in the catcher getting drawn up but even after the best clean ever it still happens. Yesterday I went out and bought the attachment to turn my ash catcher into a mini bubbler, came home cleaned the shit out of my ash catcher, downstem and bowl so I was hitting basically a brand new piece. Still resin on the lips! And it's not like your reefing like crazy on a little mini bubbler its more like the force of a pipe hit for me so that isnt my issue. The thing that really dosnt make sense is how it will only happen to me out of the 2-3 other people in the sesh.

I normally dont hit the bong very often maybe one sesh a day but now that I get this shit on my lips its making me not want to hit it at all. I know I dont have the most expensive piece out there but it sucks to spend hard earned money and then not want to use what you bought hahaha. I'm going to keep trying different things and see if anything works! Good luck everyone, let's fix this bullshit!

18. I've seen this issue numerous times but never experienced it no matter how much I vape or smoke. I like always use a bong too. So strange...

19. same here, i regularly get dry mouth and a kind of icky feeling in my lips/mouth but never actual resin or anything like that and i've had two different glass bongs. all i can think of is people might be pulling too hard or too fast.

20. After reading most of the suggestions here, I have the actual answer.

Its all in the draw of the hit, as others have mentioned.

You need a slow draw the whole time, until the ultimate quick inhale.

This happens to one of my buddies and we solved it by changing his hit style. Usually he draws fast the whole time, continuously pulling more smoke even after it's reached his mouth already, when you should really draw slow and keep all the smoke condensed and not in you're mouth yet until you clear. The key is clearly having the smoke touch your mouth (lips) for the least time possible.

Hope that helped.