Bong Help: How to identify if it's a dome percolator or splash catcher

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by JNash, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Alright, got a bong about a week ago.

So far, I've been pouring water thru my downstem until I reach a level I want ( about a 1/2 inch - 1 inch above the highest diffuser hole) and then pour a little bit of water down the tube until the perc (or what I think is the perc) levels itself out. So far, I've had no problems and it works great.

BUT...from reading and various pictures, I've come to find out dome percolators and simple splash catchers are sometimes confused. Is there a simple way to identify between the two? What I have is a hose that resembles a straw coming from the beaker base into a small dome, that has holes/slits along the base of the dome

I hope I'm being clear. I don't have pictures at the moment, but I found a picture on Wikipedia's page on water pipe percs that resembles mine almost 100%. The water level I'm using in my perc (or what I think is the perc) is also the same level as the picture on wikipedia.
    [​IMG]

And here I put a box around EXACTLY what I'm talking about, a blue line for water level, and the black circles are the holes / slits around the base of the dome OF MY BONG (I have no idea if the bong pictured has slits comparable to mine)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help and information that can be provided.

2. If its got holes/slits around the bottom and it bubbles when you suck air through the bong then its a dome perc

3. A splash guard won't have an upstem inside it. Basically will look the same without a tube in the middle.

That is the simplest way to put it.

If you have any more questions just ask.:bongin:

4. [quote name='"Teed Woker"']A splash guard won't have an upstem inside it. Basically will look the same without a tube in the middle.

That is the simplest way to put it.

If you have any more questions just ask.:bongin:[/quote]

This^^^ its a dome perc

5. Just to add more insight, the upstem is there so air can be pulled into the new chamber and back down through the water to diffuse a 2nd time. If there were no upstem water would not stay in the chamber and would just drain into the base.

6. It's a dome perc for sure.

7. Awesome :hello: Exactly what I was looking for. Mine definitely has the upstem inside the dome.

Thanks A LOT for the fast replies guys, glad I decided to finally join the community forums, definitely was the right place to ask

8. Welcome to the city, man.