Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

BONG downstem and measurements???

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by BlondeBongShell, May 2, 2012.

1. I have a few questions about bong parts and assembly (making my own).

Right now I have a bong that holds water, theres a 3-4" downstem, and my bowl (with a stem) slides down inside the downstem. And there is a rubber grommet that holds the downstem snuggly in the hole of the bong body.

*Is this what is considered "glass on glass?"

**What does a bong look like if its not glass on glass? How does it work?

***When looking for a downstem, they are often advertised as 14mm or 18mm. Does that mean that the outer diameter of the downstem is 14 or 18mm?

:love: BBS :bongin:

2. Glass on glass is when the bowl piece is all glass with a frosted ended and the female end of the down stem will be also frosted ( or whatever it's called ). This allows a much better seal and a better hit. You only need that rubber piece for plastic down stems and bowls because it will help a little with the seal.

The mm for the bowls is the bore size, so you know what size bowl to get.

Look at any of the roors for sale, they are all glass on glass

3. Idk if you'll understand what the guy above me said so I'll make it a little simpler. Glass on glass can also mean that all the pieces on the bong is made from glass. There's no acrylic or plastic. The bong, bowl, and downstem are all glass.

The 14 and 18 is just measurements in millimeters for the size of the joint and width of the bowl/downstem.

4. A rubber grommet doesn't necessarily mean there are any plastic parts. Your average grommet bong will have a glass downstem and a glass bowl, but the seal comes from the rubber grommets rather than frosted glass.

OP, what you have is either a grommet bong or a partial glass-on-glass bong. Is there a small rubber o-ring around the stem of the actual bowl itself? If yes, then you have a grommet bong.

If your bowl and downstem connect via a frosted glass connection, but the downstem itself is held in by a rubber grommet, then you have a bong that is partially glass-on-glass.

A frosted glass (glass on glass) connection will look like this: Molino Bowl - Hurricane - Glass Bowls - Spare Parts - Smoking Pipes - Grasscity.com

A grommet bong bowl will look more like this, and will usually have a rubber o-ring around it: Glass Slide Bowl - Silver & Gold Fume Over Green Tubing - Glass Bowls - Spare Parts - Smoking Pipes - Grasscity.com

5. YEAH! ok so I have the grommet bong bowl type! and thats the type I want to make!

But for the glass on glass, the down stem would be permanent in the bong right? cuz theres no grommet to hold them together. Right? The downstem opening is secured to the bong hole opening......... right? lol

6. Nope they slide right out. Think of it as a mix and match set.

7. glass on glass slides right out? if there is no grommet, the downstem and bowl just chill in the bong hole with no grommet or anything?

8. Nope, a glass on glass bong will have all ground (frosted) glass connections.

That means the bong will have a ground glass connection for the downstem to fit into, and the downstem will have a ground glass connection to both sit in the bong and allow for the bowl. The downstem is totally removable and interchangeable.

You can kind of see it here:
    [​IMG]

The first ground glass joint you see is from the bong itself, and the downstem fits in there with a ground glass joint. Higher up on the downstem is another ground glass joint where the bowl sits.

It's all air-tight from strictly glass-on-glass seals, no rubber involved whatsoever.

9. Ok, i got it. so since im drilling my own holes in the bottles and vases that im using, i shoulkd probably go with the grommet method cuz its just gonna be a ugly hole lol.

10. Yeah if your gonna be making a homemade one I doubt you can have the precision with the tools you have to make it completely glass on glass.

Good luck!

11. Thanks so much!