Boiling my pipe?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by NecroToker, Jun 22, 2009.

1. I guess it can't get anymore straight forward. Just stick the pipe in water and boil it? I want to SAVE the resin to smoke it. So what should I be looking for? I heard the resin just floats to the top.

2. go buy isopropyl alc, 91% or greater, soak it in it, then sit it out to evaporate, scrape what comes out.

3. I boil my pipe all the time. Just stick it in boiling water and just leave it alone for 20 min. then pull the pipe out with tongs and let it cool. then pour the resin/water through a coffee filter . All the resin is caught in the coffee filter.

4. I've never heard of that method for cleaning it. Is there any risk in the pipe getting too hot and cracking? I'd try it but I feel like that might happen if I do.

5. as long as the pipe doesnt go from cold to very hot real fast it wont crack. What I do is gradually warm up my pipe with sink water till its kinda warm then put it in the boiling water. You could also put the pipe in while the water is cold and just let it slowly heat up with the water

6. ive done it before, works quite well if u dont have alcohol on hand
    i collected the resin and smoked it too but if ur looking to smoke resin id just scrape it then face it down and hit it with ur fist, after u scrape it then when u hit it resin should fall out

my friend has a piece with a resin ball built up in it, u can hear it rattling around when u shake it

7. I love doin this. But one time my friend tried to pull the pipe out with a fork thru the shotgun and a little piece broke so watch out!

8. I boiled it, but used a regular strainer to filter the resin. Not good, I had to throw it out because I couldn't get some resin out of the mesh. I'll use a coffee filter next time. and P.S. I did scrape out the neck first, this was my last resort. Out of dro and dough. D:

9. My friend boiled her little pipe once and it shattered in the pot after 5 minutes. Be careful. Glass can break in temperatures like that.

10. Im sorry but your friend should have known better. What happens when cold glass becomes very hot very quickly. lol

11. Warm it up gradually, avoid thermal shock at all costs.

I've also heard of people putting something like a wash cloth at the bottom of the pot so the pipe doesn't rest directly on the bottom.