Bobobo's first grow - lowryder 2 x ak47

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by bobobo, Aug 16, 2008.

1. #61 bobobo, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008
    Third harvest!

Harvested this plant cutting a branch off at a time, then spinning the branch upside down to see where the leaf connects to the bud. Was definitely easier, although it acutally took longer - because it allowed me to be more precise with my cutting! Started this one on thursday evening, but only finished the main cola late last night.

The last (midget) one is still in the tent, and i think i'm going to leave it there a few more days before harvesting it - it actually looks like it's picked up a bit the past few days on it's own, plus i get to add some more mint flavouring to the soil.

Got a bit desperate last night and microwaved some bud that i'd cut off where i was a bit too eager with the scissors during trimming. It was enough for a few joints. So i dried it in the microwave on the lowest setting (on for 10 seconds, off for 30) until it was dried, then smoked it and holy fuck it was the worst thing i've ever tasted, and that's including snail. Really taught me a lesson. Had to bin it. ugh. Worried now that my crop is gonna be a waste, but i know i really shouldn't have nuked it as i was basically smoking plant matter and not thc. It's made me nervous and want to cure it as long and smoothly as possible.

Also noticed the difference in smell between the first and second one (that are drying in my cupboard) - the first one smells a lot more like cats piss than the second one, i'm wondering if that's going to be reflected in the taste? Or is it just where it's drying? Is it best to let them dry for as long as possible?

Attached Files:

2. Omg im growing this strain, am a week in from germing. First grow !!

Looking at these pics is giving me a hard on so will stop now.

Please post the final yield as i would love to know.

3. You'll soon get a softy once you smell them drying.

It's like cats piss.

4. hay guys . im doin my second lowryder grow soon , the first i did in soil with all bio bizz nutes 3 lr#2 fem's n all turned out nice with a lovely smoke . no cat piss smell at all. iv hard that smell comes from a bacteria that releases amonia. dnt quote me tho.

im goin to use a flo gro 500 flood and drain , not sure what nutes to go with this time any ideas ? im thinkin canna aqua or advanced nutes ...

does anyone have a good hydro programe for lowryders ????????

5. #66 dangreen, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
    Another great looking harvest! 5 out of 10 of my Auto Ak47 have popped from the soil yay! Hopefully they turn out as well as your have. :wave:

Its best to dry them until, when you bend a stem you hear a cracking or popping noise. Thats when you know they are ready to cure.

6. Sorry snowball, i haven't a clue about growing hydro - this is my first grow and is actually turning out better than i thought it would. The only nutes i used in this grow were rhizotonic and canna flores, so can't really comment on any others, although i do know that next time i grow i will definitely also be using big bud and possibly sweet leaf.

Dpjones: There's good advice already given which i can only repeat - make sure you're not overwatering them, and make sure the light is high enough from the plant so that it doesn't burn them (the way they are turning away from the light could be because the light it burning them) but not high enough that it makes them stretch. Could just be the stress from the transplant, but i reckon it's a watering issue.

Thanks dan! Got one more plant to go, the little one, i named him half squat... saw tropic thunder the other night and fuck me tom cruise made me laugh. Anyway, going to do half-squat either tonight or tomorrow. Seems to have picked up a lot since it's been on it's own and not directly underneath the bulb, plus there aren't many brown pistils on it (in fact there's not many pistils on it at all!?!) but it's very dense and stinks really strong.

7. Very sweet grow.. can't wait to see what the dry weight turns out to be

8. thanks! I'm eager to know the dry weight too. Speaking of which, one of my plants (the first i harvested) has been hanging up for over a week now - i need to prepare some containers or jars to cure it in. What do you use? Are glass jars, like cleaned food sauce jars with the metal lid, ok to use?

9. Weighed the dried up buds from the first harvest (on some kitchen scales, so not as accurate as digital ones) and it came in at 2 oz!

Win!

Curing the first harvest in glass jars now. Went to asda and bought asda value marmalade (32p each) and binned it and cleaned them and they are now housing segments of Valeries fermenting corpse.

:smoking:

10. you got 2 ounces off one plant?

11. Wow that's great 2oz on one plant glad i am growing these now. :hello:

12. 2oz sounds pretty good to me :smoke:

13. Slightly more than i thought! Got digital scales today and the total dried weight of the first plant is 63 grams (2.23 ounces).

!!!!!

14. I've been drying my plants in different scenarios, to see what the different curing methods has on flavour/high. The second plant i dried, with the huge cola, was hung up in my garage, which has plenty of airflow. It dried pretty quickly, and is now ready for curing. Before popping it in the jars, i weighed it......

70.1 grams (2.47 ounces)

hahaha :hello:

15. Wow that's really great nice job. :D What do you have planned to grow next?

16. #77 bobobo, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
    Harvested the final plant 2 nights ago, just finished trimming it. Hanging it up to dry tonight, should be ready to cure in about a week.

Started curing the 3rd plant now that it's dry, and weighed it all; 50.2 grams (1.78 oz). Can't believe that each plant is packing in over an ounce and a half each. This one and the one i harvested tonight were the smaller of the two - i think half-squat, when dried, will weigh the least of them all. Although there were not many pistils on it, it still seems pretty dense. I guestimate the total yield to be in the region of 8.5 ounces, with half-squat probably making around 40 - 45 grams.

Added a picture of the 70 grammer. The rest are of half-squat.
    :smoke:

Not sure what i'll grow next. Might leave it for a bit now it's getting a bit too cold during the early evening. If i was to grow again, i would probably be boring and go for lowryder x ak47 again, but this time only grow 3 at a time and try and make each one pack in 3 oz. I think it's possible. The feminised and auto-flowering nature of this type of seed is perfect for someone at my skill level.

Is it a fact that the pot gets stronger the longer you leave it? I know it's said the thc content increases as the chlorophyll fades, but is that real, as in a before-and-after study has been made which has compared the thc content of the bud before and after curing?

Attached Files:

17. Hot Damn very nice work man ....

+ Rep ....

Keep up the green bro .....

Best Regards EazyGreen ........:D

18. Truely a great grow nice job

19. #80 bobobo, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2008
    thanks!

Finally dried and weighed the last plant. Was totally shocked, after i'd been saying how stumped it was - the dried weight came in at 60.3 grams (2.13 ounces)!!! I think what helped significantly was where i left it on it's own for about a week; it visibly grew in that time.

That means the total yield from this harvest was 243.6 grams (8.6 ounces). that's just under a quarter of a kilo...fuck!

As a celebration, i had a smoke of the first plant i dried, that has been curing for 2 weeks and mmmmmmmmmm it was such a good smoke. Very smooth, no green taste left anymore. It doesn't taste as fruity as the herb itself smells - in fact, when you open a jar of it you get a faceful of mango smell. The high really kicks in on the second joint - the first one left me quite relaxed, obviously under the influence but not in a state where i couldn't make a cup of coffee or watch tv. The second joint seems to add to the high then amplify the effects of the first, and feels like you're wearing a halo of pillows. The longer i leave the herb to cure, the more crystals appear on it. But right now, although you can see the crystals on the herb, it doesn't have an abundance of them, to the point where grinding it leaves some kief in the bottom of my grinder. I thought the ak47 was supposed to bring crystals to the lowryder, as i love really crumbly, crystally herb, but that might be where i harvested it too early (even though it was past the due date)?

:smoke::smoke:

Because i've ended up with (lots!) more than i thought i would, whats the best way of storing it? Right now i have them all curing in (cleansed, obviously) jam jars. :confused:

Attached Files: