Bobobo's first grow - lowryder 2 x ak47

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by bobobo, Aug 16, 2008.

1. great advice, thanks dan.

The yellowing is occuring from the inner of the leaf, and moving outwards. Saying that, i do have some of the lower fan leaves that have completely turned a light yellow shade too?

I've attached some pics of the bud growing on my larger two of the four. They should be ready to harvest in about 2-3 weeks. :D . One of them appears to have a double-headed cola!

Also took one of the larger ones out of the tent, just to show the shape it's grown at.

Now harvest is coming soon, any tips on maximising bud or crystal production? Heard the one about not watering for 2 weeks so the bud stresses and produces more resin which crystallises, but that would mean i'd have to stop watering now, and i still want to give them as much nutes as possible. Any tips to prepare for the "last week"?

Attached Files:

2. Looking great, though i am thinking your gonna need more then 2 weeks cause I don't see any brown hairs. How long have they been going? Plus once they start getting darker hairs they should swell up a bit more.

Not sure about getting more Trichs, with stressing it dose not sound healthy though. I would recommend flushing with Molasses last 2 weeks, in my opinion bulks the buds up and makes them taste sweeter.

3. I thought more than two weeks also, but apparently they are ready in 60-75 days - on the 21st of August i posted that they had leaves and were around 4cm high, which means a harvest of around 20th October - 5th November. The other two are less developed and will need to grow at least another week or two on top of that. Including curing time, i'm looking at having a really nice present this christmas!

4. #44 bobobo, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
    Just thought i'd post an update. Moving the lights higher has definitely affected the plants for the better - the yellowing is fading and being replaced by a strong green. Thanks for the heads-up on that one :)

The largest is 19 inches from the top of the pot. Stems are pretty thick, although this is my first grow i don't have much to compare it to.

Still wondering what the lower faded yellow leaves mean though (pics 4-8)? Should i cut them off? Also notice in the 3rd picture, the leaf tips around the bud are quite curly - thought that moving the lamp higher might have got rid of this, but they're still curly. It's not happening on my other plants, so i'm not sure what's causing it or even how to fix it?

From the look of them they have at least another 2 to 3 weeks, with the younger ones needing maybe another 3 to 4. Hasn't been much change in height, but definitely thickening out.

Attached Files:

5. Looking really nice. Just pull the yellowing leaves off as they turn, don't want them to rot and cause mold.

6. #46 DopeyMcSmoker, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
    Looks pretty good Bobobo!!! I love both of those strains, so to see 'em together in one plant is pretty damn sweet. I'm looking forward to a strong finish here.
    Peace
    DM

EDIT: Pics 5 and 7 look burnt in some spots, which is irreparable. I would cut those parts off the leaves, but keep the rest of it for photosynthesis.

7. Even the ones where it's just the tips that seem to be going slightly yellow (ie pics 5 and 7)?

8. Not just if the tips are burnt. If they are bad though. Otherwise plant is spending energy trying to repair the leaf. :wave:

9. ok, well the two largest (and oldest) plants are getting pretty big now, and are due to be harvested between the 15th October (60 days from seed) to 5th November (75 days from seed). I think it might be at least another week on top of that. Anyway, i was just wondering about what peoples advice is for giving nutes this close to harvest - does it really give a harsh smoke if i nute them up until harvest? Should i stop giving the oldest ones nutes now?

10. #50 bobobo, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
    On the oldest plant, the wispy white hairs are turning brown, which i'm taking as my cue to start the harvest (woot woot!) Only thing is, i gave her nutes on Friday- don't want a harsh smoke. Gave her plenty of water today, but how long should i wait for the nutes to be gone? I was going to harvest this friday, but i'm not sure if that's enough time from the last feed?

11. Your girls are looking great!! Flush the soil for a week before you chop them down; it'll be worth it. I'm excited to see your harvest photos. :hello: congrats!

12. Take some pictures. Wait one week after your last nutes to get that harsh taste out. I like to mix a little molasses in my flush like 10ml per gallon gives nice sweet smoke.

13. Thanks for the replies!

Was just taking some pics when the batteries in the camera died. Recharging them now. Was trying to get some shots where the wispy hairs have turned brown.

The oldest definitely needs harvesting immeadiately. Just waiting for the current soil to dry up - will try and hang out for friday. The other one will be done friday too. My remaining two need at least another week.

I can't wait to see my harvest photos too! Really tempted to start doing the oldest one tonight, but worried about the harsh smoke. Since i'm doing two, might have one with added flavour, one without. Would adding some treacle to water be the same as molasses? And would a watering a few days before harvest be enough to inject some flavour, or does it need to be added over a longer period of time?

Also wondering about the best way to harvest this plant - cut off at the root / stem, and prune all the leaves off from there (leaving all the bud on the stem - the plant, minus the leaves basically) or cutting each bud branch off and dealing with them individually?

:confused:

14. #54 bobobo, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
    First harvest pics!

Got the oldest plant, and trimmed off the leaves (kept them for making hash later). Jeeeeeeez it took like 3 and a half hours to trim it - i don't know if it's because it's the first time i've ever trimmed or if i'm just too anal. Something about it brings out the ocd in me.

Some nice big juicy buds i can't wait to smoke on there (4th picture mmmmmm).

Attached is pics of the bud of the oldest plant all trimmed. Still in her pot, as i was wondering why you need to cut the stem and hang them up: can't you just let them dry out whilst still in the pot? And does it have to be in a dark room? The room i'm in now is pretty dry and warm, perfect for drying, but it's usually pretty light in here...???

Attached Files:

15. Your plant looks great. You do want to cut it and put it in a dark place with fans on it. Because you don't want mold and if you left in still in the pot higher chance of mold is higher also would take a lot longer to dry. :hello:

16. Nice harvest! she looks pretty yummy. :smoking: and potent

17. #57 bobobo, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2008
    thanks! that was my first and oldest plant, i have another to harvest which is of a similar a size, but i'm waiting a few more days before harvesting that one - will post pics of the next one when it's done. Should be Wednesday/Thursday. The other two aren't as well developed, and i added some peppermint oil mixed in to a litre of water to the smaller of the those two.

In fact, the difference between yields is quite confusing. The two plants to the left of the tent grew humungous. The two plants to the right are not as tall and have about half the amount of bud on them. Been trying to figure out what the difference was - same pots, same soil, same amount of nutes, same amount of light - the only thing i can think of is that the actual bulb (of the lamp) is to the right of the reflector, so the plants on the right grew shorter as they were under a slightly higher temperature. I compensated for this by having the fan angled to the right slightly, so it pointed on the plants on the right, and maybe the greater amount of cool air directly on them stunted their bud development? Fuck, i need a guru to answer that one. It's late, and i've got my ferrets out. They play like lunatics and is the one of the best things to watch when stoned. I'd post a photo of them but they move so fast the pictures look like a shit stain.

:smoke:

18. Did you move your plants around during your grow? I like to move them to different spots at least once a week, to get different angles of lighting. Cant wait to see your others.

19. No i didn't move them around the tent, but turned them on the spot. So the two on the left stayed on the left and the two on the right stayed on the right. In a way it's probably good i didn't, otherwise i'd of ended up with 4 mediocre plants. I'll post some pics of my stunted one, you'll see how big the difference in bud production is.

But anyway....

harvested the second one tonight!!!!

Started at 8:45 and finished now (just before 1am). There's got to be an easier way than this i mean seriously, 3 hours odd per plant, is that usual? And i was less anal than i was the first time round. If i won the lottery i'd invent a nute that just makes all the leaves drop off when it comes to harvest.

This one has a mega chunky cola, and getting all the leaves from it was a mission - left half of them in there. Was having to bend the cola around so much to open the leaves i was getting more pistils on my fingers than were remaning on the plant!

Attached are the second harvest pics. Tonight, i will say a prayer in thanks for the sacrifice Agatha has made to the greater good of mankind.

Attached Files:

20. That looks like some chronic. That cola is fucking huge great job can't wait to start my Auto Ak47.

For your trimming issue. I found it takes at least half the time if you cut branches off the plant then trim the leaf off. Cause it is easier to move the branch around with it being off, and also you wrists don't hurt as bad after either. Hope it helps. Also there is a device called the Aardvark and its a hair trimming tool you hook up to a shop-vac and works great and saves tons of time.