Bob Barker is finally leaving The Price is Right.

Discussion in 'General' started by xericx, Nov 1, 2006.

1. He is retiring while he's still young:wave: It'll be sad to see him leave, i'v been watching that show since I was 5.

http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1552931,00.html

he Price Is Right host Bob Barker is retiring after 50 years on television, he announced Tuesday.

"I will be 83 years old on Dec. 12," he told the Associated Press, "and I've decided to retire while I'm still young."

The TV icon, who has hosted CBS's The Price Is Right for 35 years, will step down in June.

"I've gone on and on and on to this ancient age because I've enjoyed it," he said. "I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm going to miss it."

CBS president and CEO Leslie Moonves called Barker's contribution to the network "immeasurable."

But the show was getting to be too much for Barker. "I'm just reaching the age where the constant effort to be there and do the show physically is a lot for me," he said. "I might be able to do the show another year, but better (to leave) a year too soon than a year too late."

As a young man, Barker was a Navy pilot, and in 1947, while trying to make ends meet while earning a degree in economics from Springfield, Missouri's Drury College, he landed a job as sportscaster and DJ at a local radio station. One day he was asked to pinch hit as emcee of an audience-participation show and came away loving it.

At the time, his wife, Dorothy Jo, whom he met while in high school and married while on leave from the Navy, told him: " 'This is what you should do,' " Barker recalled for PEOPLE in 1999.

Dorothy Jo, who died of cancer at age 57 in 1991, became Barker's sidekick, singing commercial jingles in a string of L.A.-based radio talent shows, until Ralph Edwards, the producer-creator of TV's Truth or Consequences, tapped Barker to succeed him as its host in 1956. Barker hosted the show, in which he egged on contestants to perform crazy stunts, for 18 years.

He first appeared on Price on Sept. 4, 1972.

In his retirement, Barker told the AP he plans to "sit down for maybe a couple of weeks and find out what it feels like to be bored." Then, he said, he'll work with animal-rights organizations, including his own DJ&T Foundation, founded in memory of Dorothy Jo and Barker's late mother, Matilda.

Barker added that he "doesn't have the words" to thank his fans enough. "From the bottom of my heart, I thank the television viewers, because they have made it possible for me to earn a living for 50 years doing something that I thoroughly enjoy. They have invited me into their homes daily for a half a century."

:hello:eric:hello:

2. But Dane Cook said he was already dead and just on strings. Dane Cook does not lie.

3. lol...i knew it

4. Hostility... R_M. He was like my hero.

:hello:eric:hello:

5. Haha, he's struck me as a decrepit, out of touch skeleton.... who happens to host a half-rate television show about consumerism and over-consumption.

6. haha we have the same birthday....

that's a damn shame tho without him there is no PIR

7. dude i just saw this news tonight.

that guy is one of the biggest pimps besides hu heffner.

so sad to see him retire next year the price is right is one of the best shows i use to watch it all the time when i was a yougin.

8. Everyone watched The Price is Right when they were home sick from school. Classic.

Sucks to be the next guy they cast as the host...how do you follow Bob Barker? No one else could pull off that skinny microphone and the set that hasn't changed since 1973. And he even kicked Happy Gilmore's ass to top it off.

Do your part to control the pet population, remember to spay and neuter your pets

9. I think Price is the only original daytime game show left. There used to be a ton of them: Press your luck, Card sharks, high Rollers, Match Game, The Gong Show, Newlywed Game...sooo many and he outlived them all. Must have been that one of a kind skinny microphone afterall. I always wondered why he liked that thing. He never put it down unless he was demoing his putting skills.

10. all i can think of is :

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AzNXuACP5I8"></param><param">http://www.youtube.com/v/AzNXuACP5I8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AzNXuACP5I8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. ^^LMAO Bob Barker was the shit.

12. NOO!!!

I had plans to go on that show, I've been watchin it for as long as I can remember, esspecially when I'm home sick for the day :(

I'm gunna miss that show, it'll never be the same if he leaves