Bluedream. All advice welcome

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ode2smoke, Dec 1, 2015.

1. What's up everyone. So I have started my first grow of all time. A buddy is growing bluedream and I took some cuttings and rooted them in root shooters. I took about 20 clones since it was my first time and it's my buddy's as well. 4 looked strong from day one. Never drooped. At about day 8 in a dome I noticed some yellowing on a couple and looked, they exploded with roots over night. I waited 2.5 days when I noticed some roots were too long on the sides and I worried about light damaging them as I could see them without removing. So I transplanted into formula 707 soil watered with pH 6.5 that had 74ml per gallon of tea my grow shop makes. I had the light around 6 inches above canopy.

Today I noticed the yellowing color is on all 4 and one has spots on one leaf. Another had a completely dead small leave with the stem dead to. The top soil is dry but underneath is still dark and moist. I lifted the light today to about 16 inches. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm kind of thinking a N deficiency or maybe they need water. It's been 3 days since I watered. I'll take any ideas and advice. I've been keeping a journal on my own. But from now on I'm going to update this as I go. I've read a bunch of your grows and topics. A lot of good information on here.
    Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

2. if that soil is an actual nutrient enriched soil you do not need to add any nutrients pretty much up until the mid way point of veg.

Try using Ph 5.8 water, 6.5 seems a little high for the little clones.

3. Ok. I'll try that next watering. Should I wait for it to dry or do it soon?

4. #4 ode2smoke, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
    It's the root organics formula 707. I'm told it's got nutrients but not as hot as ff ocean forest

5. well I don't know much about growing from clones... but I know a plant that size really won't need much extra help.

as for watering, you want to wait for the soil to pretty dry before you water again, and then only use as much water as you need to just dampen the soil. also water slowly. Pour a little bit in so that it just sits on the surface and wait for it to soak in, keep repeating this until you start to see runoff coming from the bottom of the pot. if you pour all your water in too quickly, you can shock your roots, and you can cause channels in the soil which won't allow the moisture to spread evenly throughout the root system before it just comes pouring out the bottom.

If I were you I would still have a humidity dome over this for the next couple days until it starts throwing out a new node or two also.

6. I will do that. Thanks for the advice

7. So I did the best I could for humidity for now. Used some Tupper ware but I can't seal the bottom. I'll get some 2 liters tomorrow. At first glance they didn't look as bad as earlier when I got home. I'll keep posted

8. Quick update. After having the makeshift domes on over night. They looked a little better. I'll try and get some pics when I get home. One feels pretty light compared to the others so she might need a watering soon. All still have dark moist looking soil under the dried top soil. Hopefully they cheer up soon.

9. Awesome. Ill be watching this thread closely... Planning on doing a blue dream myself next round

10. Thanks chef. I've seen you give good advice on other posts. Glad you'll be tagging alone. I know I'll need help more than once.

11. So I just gave all the girls a watering oh pH 6 ish filtered water with 74ml of tea. Today they seem to be getting their green back to the naked eye. Through my camera tho looks different

12. Also 2 other clones were transplanted giving me 6 in 5x5 pots. Might be a little early. But the girlfriend doesn't want me to have too many rooted plants. We're allowed 6 up here per adult living in the house. She doesn't toke though. So we came to a compromise. I had another clone that was well rooted but the leaves look bad. Since I don't have another pot I threw it in a solo cup to see how she does. All the clones I had in the dome that had roots showing had some level of that yellowing and leaf dying. Does that happen to a lot of people? The rest of my clones went outside where they were laid to rest. :wacko:
    Time to get them back in the tent I'll cover them with the dome but have the bottom open for air flow.

Thanks for following

Attached Files:

13. I forgot to mention. The Girlfriend has been begging me to use coffee grounds and egg shells in the soil. So to please her and my curiosity I added them to the soil in the cup. we'll see how it goes.

14. Little update. Girls looking better. Not much else to report

Attached Files:

15. #15 Skunk_e_Bud, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2015
    You'll want to avoid putting raw nutrients like these into the containers with your plants. This stuff is great cooked into a soil before any roots are around, but they can cause ph problems and other issues in with the plants. The egg shells probably aren't so bad, but I try to make sure everything gets cooked before it hits the roots.

I even strain my teas to avoid too many raw materials filtering down into the containers. I use smaller, three gallon containers and the ph can get out of control after a few too many "thick" teas.
    Edit: Just wanted to add what happens. The material will basically decompose causing:
    1. Heat, which is bad for roots
    2. Lowering the ph (below good levels)
    3. Feeds nutrients (you might be at the end of the grow wanting to reduce nitrogen levels to make smoother smoke, but you can't control the nitrogen fed to your plants from newly decomposing material).

16. Thanks for the info. I only did it for the gf in hers. The other six don't have any. Good looking out

17. Wow what a difference a day can make. I am house sitting right now. So I wasn't near my plants for about 30 hours. I came home to some new growth and better color. Makes me :D they're still under the "dome" but I think tomorrow I'll take it completely off. Quick question. With the fan blowing on them how do you tell if it's too much wind? The leaves move and shake pretty good but it's not bending the main stem. Think it's good or should I make the fan for indirect?

Attached Files:

18. ........when in doubt....mimic mother nature.....just move the leaves a little.....all they need......plenty of time later to get out the chains and whips.

19. When your clones are rooting I would not let the soil completely dry. Wait until it is established. Found your thread from your reply. Glad to see more AK growers!

20. Thanks for joining. I'll keep that in mind. They got some water about two days ago. Still pretty damp right now.