Blueberry vs. BCN Diesel

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by amateurexpert, Jul 5, 2015.

1. #1 amateurexpert, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
    Kinda disappointed over messing up my most recent grow. Made a few silly mistakes and that was that. So onto a new grow. I got both of these seeds from The Vault. Here are the details:

Phase 1: 5 Weeks Veg

Strains

• Blueberry (Mostly Indica)
    • BCN Diesel (Mostly Sativa)

Starting Pot Size

• 1 Gallon

Growing Medium

• Peat Moss
    • Vermiculite
    • Perlite

Watering

• Faucet Water/Aerated Tea

Light

• 250w MH (18/6 - 22 inches away)

Phase 2: 10 Weeks Flower ScrOG

Pot Size: TBD

• (5 - 10 Gallons)

Growing Medium (75%)

• Peat Moss
    • Vermiculite
    • Perlite

Soil Amendments (25%)

• Worm Castings
    • Bat Guano
    • Seabird Guano
    • Kelp Meal
    • Blood Meal
    • Bone Meal
    • Mycorrhizae
    • Epsom Salt

Light

• 250w HPS (12/12 - 22 inches away)

Watering

• Aerated Tea

I haven't grown either of these strains before, so this will be a learning experience. I'll be updating weekly, unless there's some kind of major change with the grow.

2. #2 amateurexpert, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
    Day 1 - From Seed

BCN - Germinated

[​IMG]

Blueberry - Germinated

[​IMG]

Setup

[​IMG]

Light Meter

[​IMG]

3. #3 amateurexpert, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
    Day 3 update. Both seeds broke through the soil sometime between last night and this morning.

Day 3 - From Seed

BCN - Sprouted

[​IMG]

Blueberry - Sprouted

[​IMG]

My Special K #1 entry for the SOLO Cup Challenge will also be sharing the tent with these ladies. I just planted her today. Here's a pic with all three of them together. You can follow my Special K #1 if you click the link in my sig.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. #4 amateurexpert, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
    Day 7 Update. This has been an interesting few days. Also my first time growing a mostly indica next to a mostly sativa.

1) The Blueberry is shorter and 3x - 4x smaller than the BCN Diesel. I also added more starter mix to the BCN Diesel pot because the stem was so long. I don't think it was stretching because my last plant was 18 - 24 inches lower and didn't have any light problems.

2) I rotated their position under the light, so the BCN Diesel is on the right and the Blueberry is on the left. I'll rotate them again next week.

3) I added a small fan to help with temps and circulation.

Day 7 - From Seed

Blueberry vs. BCN Diesel Comparison #1

The stem on the BCN is a lot longer than the Blueberry.

[​IMG]

Blueberry vs. BCN Diesel Comparison #2

The leaves on the BCN are 3x - 4x bigger than the Blueberry

[​IMG]

BCN - Day 7

[​IMG]

Blueberry - Day 7

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. #5 amateurexpert, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
    Minor change. I figured I'd experiment with light distance since my Blueberry is growing a little slower. I moved her closer to the light, so now she's 13.5 inches away instead of 22. For you non math people, that's 8.5 inches closer.

I'll keep a close eye on her for the next 24 hours in case I need to lower her again.

Day 10 - Blueberry On The Left

[​IMG]

Day 10 - BCN Diesel On The Right

[​IMG]

6. Last night was the end of her 24 hour trial closer to the light. She looks great, so I went and head and moved her up another 2" and she's now 11.5" from the light. I guess we'll see how the next 24 hours goes.

Due to the results of the first 24, I've now moved my BCN Diesel closer to the light. She's now 13.5" away from the light. Once my Blueberry has finished her 24 trial, I'll move my BCN Diesel to the same height. I'll be back Sunday with my weekly update.

7. #7 Father Ted, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
    You got a plan on when you will put them into your final pots?

You say 5-10g, will you be experimenting with 2 different sizes in that range?

BTW not heard of BCN Diesel but the thc % looks good! BB is one of my favourite strains ever so a great choice!

8. I'm thinking 2 more weeks before I move them.

I was trying to figure out what size pots I wanted, but I'm just going to stick a floor tile into my 14 gallon bin and divide it in half, so about 7 gallons each.

I've never grown or smoked it before, and I loved the pic on the site. It just looked like a good smoke. I'm excited to see if it was a good choice. Blueberry is one of my favorites as well.

9. Day 13 update. There's another more in depth update coming tomorrow, but I figured I'd get you guys caught up.

Added Top Dressing

The BCN Diesel is showing a little bit of yellowing, so I added my top dressing mix:

• Worm Castings
    • Bat Guano
    • Seabird Guano
    • Kelp Meal
    • Blood Meal
    • Bone Meal
    • Mycorrhizae
    • Epsom Salt

I top dressed my last plant from the start and looking at pics, it was just a little bigger under the same setup.Hopefully this will speed things up a bit.

Light Experiment

I watched my plant like crazy after raising it closer to the light. After 24 hours it was perfectly fine, so I raised it another 2" to 11.5". After watching it for another 24 hours, it was fine. This time I raised it to 7.5" and so far so good.

I also raised the BCN to 13.5", but I'll be moving it to 7.5" tomorrow. You can see the difference in the Blueberry growth. Its catching up, but still a little behind.

Day 13 - Comparison A

You can see the difference in height, but Sativas grow taller than Indicas, so I'm not surprised.

[​IMG]

Day 13 - Comparison B

You can see the overall mass difference. The Blueberry has caught up quite a bit over the last 3 days of being closer to the light.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. #10 amateurexpert, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
    Day 14 update. I'm a day late getting this up because I had some computer trouble. Both of the plants are 7.5" from the light and are doing great. In fact, next week, there will be a HUGE difference in plant size. The top dressing is already making a major difference, but these pics don't reflect it. You'll see when I post next week.

I rotated them again this week. Just want to make sure they're getting the same amount of light.

Day 14 - From Seed

Day 14 - Comparison A

[​IMG]

Day 14 - Comparison B

[​IMG]

Day 14 - Blueberry

[​IMG]

Day 14 - BCN Diesel

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Day 21 Update. As you will see when you look at the pics below, there has been some explosive growth. Adding the top dressing and moving them closer to the light has made a huge difference.

I rotated them again, just to make sure they're getting an even amount of light.

Topped

Today I topped them as well. I'm going to give them a week to recover before I even attempt to transplant them into the final container.

Day 21 - From Seed

Day 21 - Comparison A (Before Topping)

[​IMG]

Day 21 - Comparison B (Before Topping)

[​IMG]

Day 21 - Blueberry (Before Topping)

[​IMG]

Day 21 - BCN Diesel (Before Topping)

[​IMG]

12. Those are some nice looking plants..

13. check out my grow, I'm on day 25 and they are getting massive

14. Looking good. I subbed.

15. Day 28 Update. I'm a day late posting these because I did quite a bit of work, and I had stuff to do yesterday. I have more pics than usual, so enjoy.

Transplanted

I transplanted the ladies into a 15 gallon storage bin. So they are getting about 7.5 gallons of space each. I used a broken floor tile that I had lying around, to separate them in the bin.

[​IMG]

Day 28 - Comparison A (Before Transplant)

The BCN Diesel is on the left and the Blueberry is on the right. The Blueberry is actually taller than the BCN Diesel now. I didn't see that coming at all because of the strains. The BCN Diesel is actually bushier than the Blueberry. Both are hybrids, so maybe they are exhibiting the strongest traits of each parent.

The Blueberry is tall and thin like a Sativa, but not as bushy as most Indicas, even though it is Indica dominant.
    The BCN Diesel is short and bushy like an Indica, but not as tall as the usual Sativa, even though it is Sativa dominant.

[​IMG]

Day 28 - Comparison B (Before Transplant)

[​IMG]

Day 28 - Blueberry Roots

[​IMG]

Day 28 - BCN Diesel Roots

[​IMG]

Day 28 - Comparison A (After Transplant)

[​IMG]

Day 28 - Comparison B (After Transplant)

[​IMG]

Day 28 - Blueberry (After Transplant)

[​IMG]

Day 28 - BCN Diesel (After Transplant - Before LST)

[​IMG]

Day 28 - BCN Diesel (After Transplant - After LST)

I decided to start training her, but I left the Blueberry alone for now. I'll start her training next week when the top two stems are long enough to pull down. They were just too short yesterday.

[​IMG]

I'll be back with more pics next week.

16. Day 35 update. As you will see, the training is coming along nicely, and I got the Blueberry tied down. I didn't do much other than some very light trimming to the lower leaves that weren't getting much light.

ScrOG Next Week

I built my screen a few weeks ago, so I think I'll put them under the net next week to see how long it'll be before I switch the lights to 12/12. They should be close to the proper height.

Day 35 - From Seed

Day 35 - Comparison A

[​IMG]

Day 35 - Comparison B

[​IMG]

17. Looking lovely, nice and healthy.

18. What's up, amateurexpert? Plants look nice and perky! I grew two different strains, in a cabinet, under a scrog for my third grow. One question for you, are your seeds feminized?

19. Yep. Got em from The Vault.