Blue Cheese and White widow DWC grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by lhbucs, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Hey all! I am growing 4 Blue cheese clones and 1 white widow seedling (fem'd seed) in 5 gallon bucket dwc. Using 600w Hps and cfl's for sidelighting, 18/6 for veg. I am using the lucas formula for nutes with RO water. The area is 4.5X4.5. Daytime temps are 79-82, night 75-77. Humidity roughly between 45%-65%. All posts are welcome! :D

Attached Files:

2. Coming from someone who just started 4 buckets in a similar sized tent, you're asking for trouble.

You have two choices in this case, reduce down to 2 or 3 buckets - or you just start to flower before they are 12" tall.

My girls are only about 10 days into flower, and they are already huge... I'm going to be hard pressed for space by harvest.

View from underneath, notice how bushy they are already.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...garden-some-pics-my-first-garden-dsc01233.jpg

Here they are 2 days into flowering, they're about twice as big now...
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...-build-bubble-bucket-step-step-photo-0121.jpg

My seeds were started on 8/9/09

3. Wow. Those look great! Thanks for the advice. I am going to be pulling one of the blue cheese at the end of veg, so she can be a mother plant. +rep

4. Good thinking.

Honestly, when it comes to buckets. I think with the exact same conditions, in a tent our size. 2 plants will produce more than 5. Simply because they will all choke eachother out for light.

Something I didnt realize until I started with this, DWC makes plants grow much much faster than soil or drip or flood and drain. THey are CONSTANTLY uptaking nutrients whereas most methods only feed a few times a day.

I went to the aquarium store on lunch, also found out that those flexible bubble wands put out the finest bubbles of any air stone (which is good).

So I'm going to be swapping my soda can sized oxy stones for some flexy wands next time. I'm hoping to make a coiled pattern that raises half the tube off the bottom of the res, so the wand will actually be inside the roots.

I'm thinking that once you get a big root ball in a bucket, the shape of the ball actually prevents bubbles from getting to the middle of the ball somewhat, this should remedy that and maybe give even faster growth.

5. Hal, thanks for the input. I was looking at those flexi wands. The ones I saw at petco have a small area of plastic on them that you could punch a small hole in to help fix the location of your bottom. I was thinking of going with fishing line weights,like I saw in one of the threads, to weigh down the bottom end.

6. Can you elaborate where you find these "wands" and what exactly they do other than produce oxygen to the rootball?? I am looking into doing this same set up but im debating between it and SCROG with a 70site areoponics setup with misters hooked up in the bottom?

7. You google them, or go to an aquarium shop. Like I said I went to above :rolleyes:

If you have the room for that setup you should do that. Unless its your first grow, in which case you're going to be massively overwhelmed.

8. Yeah, the nicer ones I have seen are in salt water aquarium shops, but the ones I am using a bought at Petco. That aero setup sounds great, but its way over MY head. The reason I use Dwc is because I am an idiot and it makes thing alot easier. :smoking:

9. are these dwc units individual? or run from one main res?

10. Hi Dago! Thanks for stopping in! They are individual units.

11. Hi guys. Posting an update here. They each have a few roots that have made it to the water and a good amount of new growth. I am at half lucas still. Hers some pics.

Attached Files:

• 120.JPG
      120.JPG
      File size:
      234.9 KB
      Views:
    • 121.JPG
      121.JPG
      File size:
      231.7 KB
      Views:
    • 122.JPG
      122.JPG
      File size:
      234.6 KB
      Views:
    • 123.JPG
      123.JPG
      File size:
      226.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Beautiful grow, bro'! I am like you...a stoned moron, so I try not to work on my girls when I am baked, as I make some bad mistakes (like the time I knocked a drip emmitter out of the rockwool cube, and it splashed all over my new 600 watt digi ballast, which was fried with just 2 weeks use!). Thats why I switched to just waterfarms. It is easier to take care of each individual waterfarm than 1 big, 12-16 gallon res, IMO. pro