Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Blowing the bag up make it weigh more?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by T0k3y the bear, Feb 13, 2012.

1. I just bought 5g of some dank ass bud and it weighed 6.3 in the bag.. I know the bag weighs less than 1g but the dude blew the bag up like a balloon. I was wondering if anyone knows if blowing air into the bag and tying it makes it weigh more? or if anyone has a scale can they try it?

Thanks

2. That doesnt work. maybe he set his scale in order to scam customers.

3. that definitely doesn't make it weigh more.

4. I believe this belongs in the apprentice tokers section. However, no, I wouldn't imagine air would make anything weigh more. Think about how much air is already sitting on the scale... A room full of it..

Also, my dealers all weigh it out in front of me on the scale with no bag, then they put it in a bag or whatever. Ask your dealer to do the same.

5. Regular sandwich bags are around 1 pint:

Air = 36.604g/ft^3 = 1.2926 g/Liter
    1 pint =.473 liters

.473 L x 1.2926 g/L = .6111g

So that means if the bag were 100% full of air it would add like .6

6. This could be true as well. I don't get into math really, but like I said earlier, ask him to weigh it out on the scale before he puts it in the bag. You can buy a plastic cover for your scale so it doesn't get dirty... If my dealer tried to pull a fast one and sell my air as weight, I would find a new hook up. Luckily I'm pretty good friends with the girls and guys that sell me my bud, and I end up matching bowls with them for a few hours anyways and they always give me a substantial amount of extra weight.

7. #7 nicsye, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
    before i begin, i have to say i wouldn't make it to 3rd year engineering without being able to tell you this with some confidence.

it WOULD make a difference if you happened to be using the scale in a vacuum or in a medium with a different density than air. because there is no significant relative difference in density between the air inside the bag and the air in the room, there is no net upward (buoyant) or downward force on the bag, unless the bag is strong enough to withstand very high pressure. If the pressure is high enough, the density of the air inside will increase, and the whole container will weigh more.

high pressure - gas molecules pushed closer together - more mass per unit volume - higher density relative to density of the medium (air at atmospheric pressure)

if you imagine a canister of compressed air that is full vs. a canister that is empty, you know that the full one weighs more. the pressure of the air inside is so high that the air is condensed to a liquid, which has a much higher density than air in a gas state.

sparknotes: it may have made a very tiny difference if he blew up the bag really, really hard. see above for supporting science.

8. I was going to say something to that effect but you made it more clear than I could.

9. [quote name='"wiggler420"']Regular sandwich bags are around 1 pint:

Air = 36.604g/ft^3 = 1.2926 g/Liter
    1 pint =.473 liters

.473 L x 1.2926 g/L = .6111g

So that means if the bag were 100% full of air it would add like .6[/quote]

Holy fuck man can you do my math homework ?