Blood

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by AK74, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Besides when you occasionally bleed, you basically keep recycling the same blood cells through your body your whole life, i mean theres no used blood cell excretion system or anything. so does your body really use the same cells over and over and over again or does it make new ones and get rid of the old ones? and if it gets rid of them where do they go?

2. Blood cells do die...

3. where do they go? is there just a huge build up of dead blood cells somewhere

4. Their microscopic. I would assume they are expelled from your body with the rest of your waste.

If i can remember back to hs biology i think the longest life of a cell is 3 days? not completely sure though, Ill go look it up. But anyways your cells are constantly dying and being replaced by new ones which divide and then die. ect

5. so dead cells come out through your poop? never knew that. well do some cells cannibalize the dead cells ever?

6. No they get removed from your system. You are just pissing and shitting what you ate that day.

7. im pretty sure some cells can live with you for years, but the majority die and are replaced immediatley

8. The most abundant body cells (IE: skin, blood, GI tract, and for females vajaja) recycle themselves at regular intervals. The lining of your GI tract normally lasts only a few hours. Blood recycles every few months. Skin is in a constant state of renewal and loss. Vajaja happens every month.

Most of these cells are simply shed (skin and vajaja) to the environment. Internal cells are usually taken through hemolymph or blood to be excreated through your poo.

Also another fun fact, over 60% of poo is dead bacteria from inside your gut. (Humans have 2-3 lbs of bacteria living inside them [1-3% of your total body weight is bacteria in your gut]).

9. You know those pores in your skin? They exit there as well as every other way you get rid of things. Your body is constantly regenerating or else you would die. You excrete dead cells from everywhere.

10. LMAO @ vajaja

11. AHAHA, almost shat myself with that one

12. I know that. It was just the tact he used to say it was amusing

13. When a blood cell dies, there is a 21 plasma cell salute, then a ceremony in the kidneys, where the dead cell is taken away from the blood stream, and sent into a coffin in your bladder, where it then decomposes into urine and is sent into the toilet afterlife. Every 7 years every cell in your body is completely replaced, meaning every 7 years, we are not who we were 7 years ago, regardless of being the same person....

14. i think your spleen helps in the process of "recycling" old blood cells. and your bone marrow is what makes blood cells.

15. #16 Carl Weathers, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    Yep, the spleen is in charge. The most overlooked organ in the body. All cells are on a time limit, and red blood cells are no different. I can't remember the number of cells we turn over each day, but it's a lot. It's called apoptosis, a 'clean' way of a cell dying - rigged up like a self destruct mechanism. I can't say for sure if red blood cells undergo apoptosis though, as they're fairly unique in their structure.

16. so how do we recycle brain cells?

17. #18 Carl Weathers, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    I suggest you read about "neurogenesis".

18. your name fits perfectly with the subject. so what that articles is saying is these neurotrophins keep the neurons in our brain alive and we dont have to recycle them? and we only make new brain cells from stem cells? so why isnt the brain like other parts of the body so that brain damage can simply be repaired like skin?

19. I hate biology...