Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Blood donating.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Justinjustin, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Well... I want to do some blood donating. And I'm wondering if they have any restrictions when it comes to smoking marijuana within a specific amount of time prior to the donation process...

So... does anybody know? Even if they don't test for it, I'd still like to fall within their requirments.

Thanks...

I'm in Canada by the way.

2. no man, i dont think theres any restrictions, ive donated quite a few times in the last year and a half, every time ive had THC in my blood, and ive ranged from auctucally going in stoned.... to being stoned the night before.... and ive never had a problem..... but im serious on this, chug 2-3 glasses of water before you go. red cross keeps calling me back asking me to donate, so i figure they must not care about my THC rich blood... which they shouldnt.... but still... GO DONATE BLOOD MAN! it doesnt make sense NOT to.... saves lives, and you get an infinite supply!!!!!

3. Plus you can get injured people high!

4. my friend, you are my hero right now

5. the red cross is so desperate for blood i dont think they're gunna care about some traces of THC in it.

6. Thanks.

And to think I would have given up Marijuana for a month to do that.

So. Lots of water eh?

How long did it take for the pint to drain? How long does it take you to feel like... normal again (you feel weak for a couple days right?)

Anyways, yeah... I have a cold and stuff now but when it's cleared up I'll head on down.

7. don't they pay for blood???? i know a few places where i live pay like $50 (1/4 O for me):smoking:

8. Ha... I think there's some paid donors... I don't think many are though.

9. If you wanna get paid you gotta donate to a blood research facility (usually)... As far as I know the Red Cross doesn't pay for blood, but I could be wrong...

As far as the original question... THC is almost completely out of your blood after 24 hours, so it really doesn't matter. I've donated quite a few times and have never had any complaints from the Red Cross...

The water before hand is to help thin your blood so it's less of a strain on your body. It's also wise to double up on your fluid intake for the rest of the day (post donation). As for how long it takes - that's different for different people. I have the bag filled in about 4 1/2 minutes - others it takes up to 10 minutes...

It feels pretty much like being normal after you donate. I don't typically feel tired or light headed, but some people do pass out... I've seen that first hand. It's actually funny as hell :D

10. U can help them with ur special "painkiller blood"!

11. Not sure about the US, but it isn't allowed in the UK, and you have to wait a year (I think) after a tattoo or peircing before donating, too.

Oh, and they do check it before they use it; you could be HIV+ otherwise, and unwittingly infecting others.....

12. i donate blood whenever i see the red cross bus, quite a few times in the past year, they could care less about the ganja in ur body, u dont have to drink water b4 giving blood, red cross doesn't pay you for "DONATING" blood, unless you have a rare blood type, the might start paying u like $10 per pint, cause there has been a shortage for a while, i would advise you to drink a nice size bottle of gatorade/powerade, for the sugar, and electrolites; after donating.
    its for the good of the cause +rep

13. they dont care about the thc content here, if i rember right, its not on the questionaire. the tattoo/piercing thing is a rule here too though.

14. I don't think you are suppose to smoke before you give blood because it raises your body temp. But that could just be cigarettes.

15. Well thanks for all the answers... And I urge some other GC members to donate too. :)

I asked a neighbour (who's a biology professor) about it a little bit... he's a real smart guy... And he says your spleen holds about 1 Litre of blood in it like a reservoir, so you probably won't feel it all that much if you donate 1 pint (500ml)...

Also, it takes a while for iron to build up again or something.

Anyways, I know it's a weird thing to look forward to, but I am. Maybe I'll update this thread when I donate blood for the first time.

Thanks...

16. the red cross vans came to my school every six months, they asked all kinds of questions about sex drugs and shit i told them i smoke( honestly trying to get out of it without looking like a pussy I fucking hate needles) the lady was like well that doesnt matter... so i give blood every six month and i have this little red cross blood card and i smoke every day? do it, save a life man

17. I had smoked 2 days before donating and they didnt care. The needle hurts a little going into your arm but then its fine. I filled up a pint in about 8 minutes, adn then felt kinda woozy for like a half hour afterwards but then I was fine.