blind people hear better than people with sight.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Brenjin, Sep 26, 2010.

1. #1 Brenjin, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2010
    This is a well accepted notion.

My question is, do people who lack one of the other senses like hearing and smell have better vision than people with all their senses?

2. i have a friend who can not smell.....sucks when i forget and tell him to smell the new bag i just got......lmao....

but he claims to have excellent taste buds?
    no way for me to really know tho?

he (same guy) also has rather poor eye sight...cant see shit without glasses?

3. He's lying

Without a sense of smell his sense of taste would be severely handicapped

Ever eaten with a cold? You can't taste anything

4. notice i said"he claims"
    im not buying it ither.....;)

5. Hasn't this been proven? I could have sworn I saw or read something on this. Personally I believe it for sure. It makes sense to me, you cant see so you must adapt, thus letting you hear/feel more then people with sight. I hope I wont get in trouble for this but I read that they gave people born blind some DMT and they "saw" colors for the first time. I though that was just nuts.

6. haha you just read the title, you high person you.

7. Haha my bad man. I did read the other posts but I guess I didnt realize you said "lack". Then I read the post under yours where the dude said his friend couldnt smell at all. I got confused, again, my b bro.

8. someone ordered the pasta?

The research concerning the visual perception in deaf subjects has led to contradictory results: Deaf subjects have been reported to show enhanced visual perceptual skills compared to hearing subjects (Neville & Lawson, 1987). On the other hand, there are indications that acoustic deprivation may produce an inferiority in all sensory modalities (Myklebust, 1964). These contradictions may be due to methodological differences: The investigators selected different conditions (e.g. attentive/nonattentive) and various samples of deaf subjects (e.g., different age, language, and aetiology groups). In our study, we tested a large sample of deaf subjects with texture segmentation and visual search conditions, which allowed us to differentiate between visual processing with and without attentional load. All deaf subjects had profound hearing loss within the first year of life. Our results suggest that the visual processing capacity of deaf children and adolescents does not exceed that of age- and gender-matched hearing subjects. Rather, deaf school children show deficits in visual processing in conditions with and without attentional load. Age (6 to 20 years), language used (oral, sign, oral + sign), and aetiology for deafness (genetic, maternal rubella, perinatal, infection in the first year of life, unknown) did not consistently influence the results. The deficits in visual processing were partially compensated for in adult deaf subjects. The performances of deaf and hearing adults in trials that could be solved preattentively did not differ statistically significantly, but in attention-dependent trials the deaf subjects were more efficient than the hearing controls. We conclude that visual compensation for deafness is limited to attention-dependent tasks and does not develop until adulthood.

9. I have real shitty eyes so does that mean i'm a little better everywhere else?

Cause it sure as fuck doesn't seem so...

10. i personally got 20/10 vision...better then perfect.....

my hearing is .....ok....but not great....

the rest of my senses ok fine so far as i can tell?

11. It's prolly better to say that blind people have a heighten sense of hearing when compared to someone who is not blind.

-Robb

12. yeah i know but i just wanted to get the point across and wasn't totally coherent when i was writing this thread.

it seems "visual compensation for deafness is limited to attention-dependent tasks and does not develop until adulthood" is the case.

What about lack of smell? obviously it would take away from taste but how would that effect say your hearing or sight or even touch?

13. Sounds unlikely. My dad has no sense of smell (nice for my smoking) and his sense of taste is really hampered. I feel bad for him...he loads food up with salt to give it more taste, and can't enjoy things that don't have really strong flavors.

14. Let's consider why this phenomenon occurs. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure its out there somewhere. There's two major explanations in my opinion:

1. Lack of sense (hearing for ex.) will cause a physical change in another sense (more cones and rods in eyes for ex.)

2. Lack of sense causes the person to rely on another sense more, so they become more adept at interpreting the other sense.

If its number 1, then the absence of a sense might result in all senses being heightened. If its number 2, then only synergistic senses would be heightened.

Just a thought.

15. I've read that smell and taste are separate, but it takes some practice to separate them.

16. I don't think I buy the notion. How acute our senses are depends upon mechanical, physical things. Eyes that see poorly are damaged or slightly mal-formed, same with ears. I think a better explanation for this phenomena is that people who lack one sense, pay more attention to the sense that they do posses, and are better able to use them, as they're less distracted. Less inputs into the brain, if you will.

Cover up your eyes, shut all the lights off, plug your nose and sit for a while. You'll find yourself able to hear much more than you normally do, because you're paying close attention to what you're hearing. You have only one input to process.

17. Great post man. +rep.

18. Sorry, that notion is simply an 'old wives' tale'. Many friends of mine are deaf, yet they wear glasses, cannot smell or feel better than the next guy...you get my drift.

People who must compensate to get around in life learn to develop an alternative method: it's a matter of more practice than the non-handicapped person.

19. i don't think that blind people are genetically given better hearing. because they rely on their hearing, they learn how to decipher more things with their hearing.

20. thats because your friends also have problems with their eyes. I'm talking clean slate except for ears. our brains are known for rewiring themselves, thats how we learn, thats how we become good at something, thats how people who've had one hemisphere of their brains removed can still do everything they used to.