Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Blending tincture from different strains

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I'm trying to figure out how to get the best diversity from my tinctures and thought I would toss the question out to my fellow blades here on GC to get your ideas. Here's the rundown:

I have discovered a quick and easy way to make an extremely potent Green/Gold Dragon by using a cold process. Once the Dragon is made, I reduce it by half, resulting in a very concentrated tincture. Since I don't like alcohol, I use the Dragon to make other things with a solvent transfer. I make a honey elixir, glycerin tincture and coconut oil. The good thing about using this method is that I can control the potency. If I have a recipe that calls for a half cup of oil, I can easily make a couple of ounces of concentrated oil and use fresh oil for the remainder and get a highly potent edible or I can knock out the whole party using full strength. I'm able to make my stuff to any strength a patient might need. It's pretty cool.

Okay, here's the question. I have 3 ounces of trim that is actually just untrimmed popcorn buds, so it's high quality just the way I like it. I've seen many posts stating that good bud shouldn't be used for tinctures but I disagree. If you have a good process it makes a big difference. My glycerin tincture takes a half dropper to over medicate. At that dosage, that's 40 doses per ounce. Not too shabby. I intend to use it all to make a large batch of Dragon to have on hand, then make other things as I need them.
    I have 3 different strains and 2 distinct buzzes. 2 are heavy Sativa hybrids and the other a heavy indica dominant. I would be using a blended tincture but can't decide how to do the blending. I can blend my strains and make a single tincture or I can make 2 different tinctures, one of Sativa and the other Indica, and then add them together in various propotions depending on the situation. More sativa for daytime or pleasure outings or more indica for evening and pain situations. If I make a single tincture, I'll be stuck with just that or I can make 2 and have the ability to customize effects. Do you think there would be any negatives to blending afterwards? Would the different strains compete for your attention or meld effortlessly together to create a stunning experience? Those kind of things. Let's see if we can get a lively discussion going here.:smoking::hippie:

Please don't knock my process unless you've tried it. This is just a question of which choice to make whether you think it's viable or not.

2. i blend strains all the time for my tinctures. Most of my tinctures have 5+ strains in them because i always set a little aside for edibles/tincs every time i buy. Having a sativa tincture and an indica one sounds nice, since blending afterwards doesn't have any downsides as far as i know of.

The highs don't counteract each other. I get a nice all-round buzz. Most strains are hybrids anyway so i don't see how they would really compete.

One thing i do notice is that the headhigh always sets in first for me, quickly followed by a bodyhigh. When the headhigh starts weakening i still feel a nice relaxing effect in my body for a few hours. I'm actually feeling that right now, went to watch ice age 4. Got a nice headhigh+bodybuzz on the way there and during the whole movie, now i'm relaxed in front of my laptop.

this is all purely subjective ofcourse, i'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

3. Great! This is the purpose of this thread. To have a discussion about something all of us here on GC has an interest in and maybe learn things, have some chuckles and get to know each other better.

I usually have the same sequence when the tincture sets in-head first, body next and then the relaxation over an extended period of time. I usually put some in the morning coffee and I'm good for the day if I want, although out of habit I'll smoke it too if I have it. I do cut my smoking way down when I have tincture. It's a good way to clear out my lungs and still get a great buzz.

I recently made a concentrated tincture out of heavy, heavy indicas. I usually use a mix in my products too, but this was all that I had to spare.
    I'm a Sativa guy and I like to have Sativa dominant in my hybrids, but I was in severe pain for a few months before back surgery and moved to Indicas for relief. If I had a Sativa during that time, it would have made me want to get up and do things and then I would hurt myself worse by moving around. I learned that the hard way. So now I don't need that heavy medicating anymore. I had some Indica collected over that time and wanted to get rid of it without smoking it. Well, the tincture I made from that was soooo heavy that I can use it only at night. That's what got me thinking about making separate strain tinctures. I would like to be able to add some Sativa to it and this way I would be able to make any combination I want. It's an exciting concept, especially for making specialized meds for patients without having to make an individual batch from scratch.

I had mentioned conflicting buzzes and this is my example. The heavy tincture I mentioned above would have a tendency to overpower a Sativa. Not because it's more cannabis potent, but because of it's extreme body experience. It knocks you out in 20 minutes. Like a heavy Trainwreck and it really is a trainwreck, so experimentation would be in order. Maybe an 80/20 Sativa/Indica mix on this one would be a winner.

4. i just kind of did what you are saying. I made a tincture out of vaped bud to take with me to a festival. I always had to put it in an energy drink to stay alert (altough the alcohol also made that harder) but you mostly got bodily sensations from it with a little headyness. A great combo to get sloppy when combined with alcohol.

Now i still had half an oz bottle of this stuff left so i decided to keep it and add a mix of kief from mainly sativas + the wandhash from my vaporizer. I'm looking forward to trying it next month to see if i can use it without any energydrinks now.

5. I would think that you'll have a pretty ass kicking tincture from that. :D

6. Well, I decided to make 2 separate Dragons, one for Sativa and the other for Indica instead of just combining them from the beginning. The rationalization for this was that I would then be able to specialize my final outcome depending on the combined effects I want my final tincture to display. One formulation for active times, another for evening and even a heavier one for pain or sleep. The first thing I made was my honey elixir and then coconut oil using an equal amount of each strain's Dragon and then an amount of honey or oil equivalent to the sum of the Dragons. The final product was slightly more than the amount of the honey. Because I was constantly licking the spoon and then the bowl, I wasn't really in any condition to judge anything. All I know is that I had a great night's sleep. Now I have a cup of each Dragon left and will be experimenting with various ratios.

I finished my initial tinctures last night and this afternoon I started a 2nd wash of my material with half as much ethanol this time. This time I added both strains together, and when it's finished, that will give me even more variety for combinations. I'll have about a 10 ounces final Dragon of this one plus a cup of each of the others. At half a dropper or less per dose, that could be a year's supply.:smoking::hippie:

7. Here's an update to this little experiment in case anyone is interested. I have now had time to play with the blends and have discovered some interesting things in the meantime.

I made a couple of different glycerin tinctures with noticeably different traits. As I mentioned before, I had made a heavy tincture using medical grade Indicas and could only use it at night or during high pain. Half a dropper would knock me out. It was great for a specific purpose but couldn't be used in a social environment. I made a couple of batches of Dragon, one of which was a full Sativa.

This is one of the interesting tidbits I noticed: A majority of the material was a new strain called Strawberry Blue. It was beautiful even just air dried. The funny thing is that the Dragon wasn't green or gold. It was an aquamarine color, just gorgeous. The color of the ocean as you're changing depths, just before it goes to the deep blue. I used to work in the Gulf and used boats, ships, helicopters and stationed on rigs. That color change was one of my favorite things about it. Anyway, I made some coconut oil using it and the oil turned out the same aquamarine and smelled like heavy coconut, although the color did not transfer to honey or glycerin.

Back to the update. So I made a batch of glycerin using the Sativa. It was night and day from the previous Indica batch. It was a little confusing, actually. I'm still not sure how to react to glycerin tinctures because they seem to come on so differently from the honey elixir and the Dragon and oil. It usually takes me a few sessions with the glycerin before I'm able to discern it's full effects. That could be because I daily smoke, use the coconut oil, maybe a little honey, too, then maybe a brownie or piece of fudge-all canna. With all of those I can tell the onset but with glycerin it just smoothly creeps up and kicks my ass without warning. However, I usually try it in the evening after a hard day of stoning so it's hard to tell if it's the tincture or everything else finally catching up. That was the problem. I couldn't tell the quality of the Sativa tincture because the other stuff would push it aside. Unfortunately, that happens a lot when Sativas and Indicas collide. The body always wins. I just knew it was good from morning use before any other additions to the equation. After a lot of thought, I realized that a straight Sativa glycerin tincture would not be as effective for a lot of people because of it's "upper" qualities unless someone was looking specifically for that.

Having explored the Sativa effects to my current satisfaction, I embarked on a blend that would combine just the right amount of narcotic Indica with an upbeat Sativa that would allow me to function during the day yet help my pain and insomnia at night. I mixed 1 fl. oz of the Indica glycerin with 2 fl. oz of fresh glycerin and 2 fl. oz of the Sativa Dragon and reduced off the ethanol, leaving a 1:2 ratio Indica/Sativa glycerin tincture. It was a really good blend. I can use half a small dropper during the day and a full dropper, maybe a tad more, does the trick at night

So now I've started another experiment with this glycerin blend and also with the Dragon made from my Indica strain. I can do this because I have so much stuff made with more trim coming soon. I already know that I can make a dynamite tincture comparable to the long, time consuming method and in many cases better. So now I'm going for the elite. I added 3 grams of dry ice hash to my 3 fl oz of glycerin tincture, gave a little heat and then rebottled it and set it aside for a month or two. With the Dragon, about 2 fl oz, I added 2 heaping tablespoons of the original plant material and it came to just below the top of the Dragon. Shook it up and also put it aside for a month or two. We'll see how it all turns out. :D

8. I would keep the tinctures separate, then blend at ratios depending on what you think your needs might be. Like Jenz I usually just add a little of this and a little of that, but have had strain specific tinctures that were nice to play with.

Really don't think you'll go wrong either way.

9. I'm just doing this as an experiment to see if there is any subtle differences in the way something is blended. Having determined that there are differences, I'm moving comments about that to my blog. If I make my observations here, a bunch of people with no clue will question my sanity and say a bunch of ugly stuff. :hide:

10. i wish i had that much material on my hand :p Isn't it possible to try the glycerin tincture without consuming anything else. Or to consume it just after you wake up and hold off on the other edibles for a while?

11. If only I weren't a lush:rolleyes:. One would think that self control increases as one matures, but don't believe it. I try to do the wake and bake and am generally successful, but there are times when the pain has been so bad that I have to "medicate" several times throughout the night, meaning that I am still stoned when I wake up and for a while afterward. I use my Indica formulas for that or have a couple of hits. Also, when I start making things, I'll do it for several days in a row-making some new blend or baking, so some days there's multiple tastings and then things can get a little confusing. I know, it's hard work but someone's got to do it:D.

The Sativa glycerin was harder to gauge because of the nature of the strain. This strain was a very uplifting, go get 'em kind of buzz, very strong but also all cerebral, so anything with a strong body effect would affect it. It took a few days to be able to give it a fair judgement. I've used straight Sativas for oil and butter before and have usually preferred it, but it seems that glycerin absorbs differently with me. A straight Sativa tincture would be great for daytime use especially if tinctures were a person's main way to medicate. Sometimes having too much of a good thing results in taking it for granted. While I did go on and blend that Sativa tincture with an Indica tincture into a great multi-use product and then added some hash to give it more ooomph in another experiment, I plan on making another straight Sativa tincture again the next time and further my experiments on blending. I guess I'm a modern day moonshiner.