blackstar chrome

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by devildeath, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Is the the Shit..... I got a prototype, fucking blinding, ... For real..

2. It's there new line. Supposed to be better, brighter and run cooler. I'd like to try one but my LEDs are still good. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

3. Does a 400 watt led put off as much heat as a 400 watt hps?

4. [quote name='"samyshmokesalot"']Does a 400 watt led put off as much heat as a 400 watt hps?[/quote]

I don't know from experience, but from what I understand, not nearly as much.

5. Short answer, no.

Long answer, NO. Let's start with a little know or talked about fact. A 1000w hps ballast can put out nearly as much heat as the bulb itself!!! Some brand are better than others, but they all make a ton of heat. The led ballasts are contained in the fixtures. The ballasts are making even more heat ratiowise bulb/ballast, but its still far less heat than even just the hps bulb gives off. So its essentially only a fraction of the heat when you factor in bulbs and ballasts. :cool:

6. i'd say you clearly don't understand physics........

energy is energy no matter what it is its' still going to create heat........further more to answer the main question 400 watts of led's only use around 325watts while a 400 hps consumes around 425watts

hps will run hotter yet dosent need to be as close and emits more of direct heat

while LED's need to be slightly closer they dont produce mcuh direct heat because of how they are built with the heatsinks and intake fans....so yes they still bring heat to the room :D hope this help :D

7. #8 MfBaker, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
    Um, ok. You just said the same thing as me, how hps runs hotter. It's a fact that inefficient transfer of energy cause more heat dude. You just pointed out how inefficient hps conversion is to led, 425 watts will make more heat that 325, more energy and less efficient conversion of that energy means more heat, right? You don't need to come off with some insult for no reason. Especially to just say the same thing I just said with one added detail. And besides, we are talking about thermal dynamics, not physics per se. Fact is even the same used watts of led doesn't produce as much heat as a hps bulb PLUS the ballast. When you see btu ratings the led has one unit with one number. The hps has two.units with two seperate numbers, and when you look up the btu for a bulb you get just that, the bulb. The ballast is making heat too and has to be considered. In a tent you are comparing an led to HALF of the heat of an entire hps system. Unless the ballast is in the tent ;) lol!

8. Why do they always lie about the wattage on led lights? Why dont they just give us true wattage?

9. Not sure if its exact but its simple physics. Electricty is routed through semi conductors. If you pop open a LED its more similar to a computer then a light bulb. There are power supplies, a motherboard, processors, co processors etc.

400 real watts is 400 real watts. I have a 800w Solarstorm by California Lightworks and without a inline fan my tent would be 110-120 degrees. It pulls a actual 690 watts 5 amps. Thats alot of juice be it a CFL, T5, HID, or LED.

LEDs are running into a catch 22. More light intensity is necessary as past LED panels have failed so in the case on my LED panel its a 5 watt LED Diode. As you go up in wattage on LEDs theres a almost geometic increase in heat.

LEDs do give off heat but its very different then HID. Where HID 90% of the light is converted into radiant infra-red LED heat is localized inside the LED. A stream of electrons is making the light. As a result you have to have a giant heat sink attached to the motherboard. In my case my LED weighs in at 35 pounds...why 5 watt LED Diodes generate a massive amount of heat.

10. They don't lie your simply not informed. They do use the actual wattage of LEDs but the issue is that when you run them at max rated wattage they degrade fastly and generate a ton more heat. It grows geometrically actually. So as there designing them there are trade offs. Usually the rule of thumb is 50% actual wattage. In some cases its more. My Solarstorm for instance and my Solarflare both run there LEDs at over 80% rated wattage.

A good example is the audio world. Sure a receiver says 100 watts per channel and they use that number to sell them but stupid consumer does not realize that that 100 watts is when you have the thing at maximum levels and quite often is the peak wattage something you never will do. What you actually listen to is much much lower in wattage but they know were dumb so they slap big stickers on there items to get you buy them at the store.

11. Also the Blackstar Chrome is not to impressive of a light. I had the Blackstar 240w before I sold it..actual wattage is about 130 watts. So if this is 180w max it most likely pulls less then the 240w so good luck with that. 100 watts of LED will grow you 1-2 plants at most.

The Chinese makers of LEDs are all putting lens on there LEDs to focus the light more. Rather then uping the wattage of there product. Why? Because they lack the engineering to put higher wattage LEDs and dissipate the heat. The simple act of putting a lens on anything nullifies 15-20% of the light going through...acts as a filter.

12. I would use led but they are just too expensive. my grow room is a good sized room, not a closet or tent so there is plenty of room for the heat to dissipate. i do live in a tropical climate so it would probly save me a few bucks on ac. I just dont think its worth the $ for me at this point.

13. Which is why there are not taking over. The whole debate on LEDs is almost a decade old now...dunno how new you are to the LED world.

I myself use them but in reality I dont think i see any savings at all. I paid 1k for my main unit 500 for the other. I have to have inline fans running at max on both so if you through in the associated wattage from that Im using about 800-850 watts on my main tent. 1k was half off to to be in there growers program. Solarstorm is regularly 2k light.

I bought them because LEDs are simply cool!

14. [quote name='"samyshmokesalot"']I would use led but they are just too expensive. my grow room is a good sized room, not a closet or tent so there is plenty of room for the heat to dissipate. i do live in a tropical climate so it would probly save me a few bucks on ac. I just dont think its worth the $ for me at this point.[/quote]

Don't worry - I'm sure as the technology advances, they will get cheaper, just as any electronic does. I've been considering switching to LED as well, but am turned off by the price tag. I know that in the long run it'll pay for itself, but I just don't have that much to spare right now.

[EDIT] Well now that I see what rhapsody said, maybe LEDs aren't that much better?

15. #16 samyshmokesalot, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
    I like how led lights already have cooling fans installed. do they make hid lights or hoods with the cooling fans on it already? I could just put one together i guess but i need to know what to buy and what will fit my hps.

16. Yes and no. THey sell HID Cool tubes that are cylinder that you can attach your cooling system to to push air through it and out the tent. They sell vented hoods as well.

For a LED there is a giant heat sink attached to the board. The fans pull in air out the top and run it through the heat sink and out the sides. Its simlar to how your computer is cooling. Since the heat sink is enclosed it has to have fans running air across or it just wont work.

As for your light just get a cool tube. Carbon filter to ducting to Cool tube...other end of cool tube ducting to inline fan. Inline fan will suck the air through the tube removing heat.

Also remember though that wont stop all of the heat. The issue with HID lights is 90% of all the energy that light puts out is in the form of omnidirectional heat.

17. [quote name='"rhapsodyrcks"']

As for your light just get a cool tube. Carbon filter to ducting to Cool tube...other end of cool tube ducting to inline fan. Inline fan will suck the air through the tube removing heat.[/quote]

ok and the filter is for smell right? Is there any way i can do this without having to put a big hole in my wall? Eventually i will buy a tent but for now im using the whole room so where do i send all the air?. i really want to have exhaust and a carbon filter in my room but im no carpentet or hvac guy lol. Just a stoner with a bit of a green thumb a a love for weed lol

18. Hot air goes out the top cool air is down at the bottom. Not complicated. If your using a whole room your fine.

19. just go buy an extra door and cut your hole exhaust threw it......so you'll always have the original door