Blacklight VS green light for dark time

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by canabaman, Jun 18, 2012.

1. I have read and understand that blacklights are not for growing, they don't produce the spectrum plants need or want...

My question is, since people use a green light if they need to enter their grow room durring a dark cycle, and blacklights offer 0 use to plants, would a black light work when you needed to enter a grow room durring the dark cycle?

This may seem like a strange question, but I am colorblind, so when the green light is on, it's REALLY hard for me to see still... also, it's been my experience that those colored lights get VERY hot, I live in a mobile home so I don't like things that can catch fire... (but I run 1000w HPS 18 hours a day in the back bedroom, I know I'm full of contradictions)

I am not currently need a solution to this problem, because I am still in veg for the next several weeks. one of those things I am thinking about after a good bowl of hash...

2. No idea about black lights or how much heat they put off. I remember we had a blind guy here who was growing pot with his wifes help. He actualy did a pretty good job. If using a green light I would reccomend a green led light but all in all you want to avoid interupting the light cycle if possible. If you ever have to do anything like spray your plants just use some regular lighting and do it shortly after the grow light shuts off. A little bit of extra light time wont hurt as long as its not that often.

3. thank you, that is very helpful, I'll have to look into the led bulbs...

4. The best answer to your question is neither, but if you must then it's a green LED. Make a plan so you can be there when you need to be during lights-on.

5. sounds good, I don't plan on having to go in to the grow room durring the dark cycle, but I would like to be prepaired just in case I do need to, I can.

thank you again

• Like Like x 1
  6. Every photon the plant absorbs affects its growth! You're only "OK" with green because the plant (mostly) isn't absorbing those photons. Still not an ideal thing to do - so good call keeping it to emergencies only.

From Rosenthal... (EVERYONE should read Rosenthal, growers, non-growers, smokers, non-smokers.... it just makes you a better person:smoke:).

Anyway, from Rosenthal:

"UVA light is at the wavelength of the invisible portion of emissions from black-lights. It helps reverse damage done to plant DNA by UVB light, as well as stimulating the production of anthocyanin and other flavonoids.
    UVA from 320nm to 400nm is also very important for plant growth and is able to contribute to photosynthesis as well as other responses such as phototropism."

so keep that thing outta thur during nighty-night! :D

cheers

7. That just makes me wonder... hmmm... should a black light be mounted WITH the hps I have than? I don't have one but I'm guessing the ones at the store are very low wattage compared to the 1k watter I have...

...so...

before anyone answers that question I just asked I will try to answer it myself with a little common sense and say it probably won't make a bit of difference...

but if I'm wrong please correct me... If I'm right please let me know...

thanks again