Black spot on rockwool?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by burn1down, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Ive been growing 4 plants with a DWC bucket for the past 5 days and only 3 have sprouted.....i opened up the rockwool to the one that hasnt sprouted yet and found that its slowly making its way....i also saw today that the 2 plants infront the rockwool is drying up on top but the 2 back ones are still very moist and growing nicely. I then noticed that on the front 2 there are specks of black...nothing big just small black dots that you have to look pretty close to see...im wondering if this is why the top of the rockwool is so dry and what is it? I was reading about algae and for some reason i dont think its that but then again this is my first grow....if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it thanks

2. also, i havent had an air stone either.....if just had the tube from the pump in the water blowing bubbles and i saw sediment from the nutes on the bottom....so i put in the air stone that came with the pump and there isnt any bubbles coming out...do i need a new air stone? if so can i just leave this in overnight?

3. if the air stone is brand new, and hasnt been cleaned/touched..... than its probally a kinked line, make sure the air pump is putting out air and that its rated for the airstones size... and that theres not pinch in the line, try it in the sink for example...