Black metal!

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by TheRobMan, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Any other black metal fans out there? I'm currently listening to Pandemonic Revelation by Abigor, how about you?

2. Eh, a little bit.

A little bit of Burzum is nice, with a touch of Judas Iscariot.

3. LORD BELIAL!!

Im a big fan of Limbonic Art, Anorexia Nervosa and the likes.

4. Yeah, I like Black Metal, but lately it's been getting a little too ridiculous/cheesy for me. I love Bathory, Burzum, Summoning, Satyricon, Blut Aus Nord and Immortal though.

If anyone here hasn't heard Summoning I HIGHLY recommend that you check them out.

5. I used to be a big Black/Death/Melodic Death Metal fan. I still listen to it a lot. Right now I've got Opeth's new CD playing because I have not given it a good listen yet.

As of late I have been into a bigger (Post)Hardcore, math metal sound. Darkest Hour has a good CD, and I cant stop listening to The Human Abstract.

Back onto the Black Metal though, I just recently got into Nightrage. I have no idea how I have survived as long as I did without knowing this band. Its like a death metal superband: the vocalist from At The Gates, drummer from The Haunted, guitarist from Exhumation, and his former bandmate Gus G from Exhumation, Dream Evil, Firewind...
    Great band. I would reccommend them to fans of the genre.

6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Burzum a one man band? More specifically, one insane homicidal viking man? I cant remember if this was the same guy I kept hearing about...insteresting story though. Didnt he kill an old bandmate?

7. Yeah, that's Burzum. The guys name is Varg Vikernes. I wouldn't exactly call him insane (who knows though?); he just has some very very extreme views. Check out his albums Filosofem and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. Some of the best early/raw black metal.

8. I don't know how much of Abigor's other material, but I suggest you checkout Nachthymnen if you haven't already. It's easily their best. The new one is interesting as well, but a far cry from 'typical' black metal.

9. I love all metal, but I gotta say fuck the whole black metal scene. seems like 90% percent of the black metal fans i meet are such snobs i wanna break their noses. They're like "AL:KSJDG:UIOWHEG:IOUHWSG MAYHEM IS THE ONLY TRUE METAL BAND" and they go on and on and on about what's "true" black metal and what specific genre every band is. I wanna just be like "give it a fucking rest man, it's all good music" It also seems like 90% of the time black metal is more about looking evil than making music.

but yeah emperor, darkthrone, and immortal are awesome.

Warriors of modern death by emperor is possibly my favorite blackmetal song.

10. It's because of Black Metal snobs that I started posting on this forum instead of metal forums haha.

Speaking of Mayhem though... their new album surprised me; it's really good!

11. I know I'm kind of crazy trying to spread the word about Summoning, and you may already know this (and know of them), but one of Abigor's (ex)members is one of the main guys in Summoning.

I really need to check out Abigor though. I was thinking about picking up Channeling the Quintessence of Satan, but I think you just changed my mind.

12. I just listened to Niles to album, Ithylphallic. Freaking awesome

13. Let's be real. It's not just Black Metal snobs that are annoying, it's all metal snobs. I left a fun metal forum because of the elitism that follows metal. Everybody's favorite band is "the best and everything else is for fuck ups". I tend to be the exact same way, so I try to distance myself from metal forums.

And, I can't really get into black metal, never have probably never will. I'm all about the grind/death scene.

14. I started listening to Bathory in HS, along with VENOM and Mercyful Fate. I don't listen to Venom any more, they're not very exciting, but I'm still a big fan of Bathory's debut album, and he first Mercyful Fate albums. That's enough for me.

15. wow that is so dam true, metal has become something entierly diferent people get to fuckin serious about it they forget its about enjoying the music and having fun

16. I know I dont belong in this type of metal, but I'm going to post anyway. The only "black" metal, I've ever given a chance was Cradle of Filth, which from what I hear from all the Black Metal snobs, is that they're not Black. But whatever, I've personally always been into the Melodic Death Metal. It all just seems to be about image, and having a "dark sound", no matter how simplistic that "sound" comes out to be. Maybe it's just me, but I always thought great guitar improvision was one of the important factors of Metal in general, yet I dont hear it at all in this genre.

17. Don't forget that the genres beginnings are also rooted in countercultural movements, be they extreme left wing or right wing. It's really not all about having fun. And truly, isn't it ideological passion that gives way to emotive music? Anything less usually results in stagnation.

First of all, having only listened to Cradle of Filth, what you said really has no backing. Having plenty of past experience hashing out this topic in the past I understand where you're coming from, though, and what you need to understand is that you're viewing the use of the guitar the wrong way. Much in the same way that different cultures developed different scales and different ways of employing particular instruments, so is black metal different in its use of the guitar compared to sister genres. "Shredding" has its time and its place, but in the case of black metal, the guitar's use is more closely related to that of punk, hardcore, early grindcore, and proto-thrash. The added spin on that, though, is the influence of classical music (not to be confused with the cartoony keyboard overlays as COF, Dimmu, and their ilk are typically guilty of). So the guitar's position is one which creates what is usually referred to as a "wall of noise", though the severity of that depends on the band. Droning chords are spearheaded by tremulous melodies, resulting in a fiery, chaotic atmosphere.

For better examples of this, I recommend that you check out Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice by Deathspell Omega, paying special attention to the melodies at 2:13 in Sola Fide I and at 2:48 in Carnal Malefactor. Also, go here: http://www.myspace.com/pestenoire and listen to the the solo at 3:02 in Le Mort Joyeux. To add to that, Eikenskaden and Mystic Forest feature virtuoso guitar playing.