Black lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Noam Chongsky, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Black lights are good for your plants :eek:

Controlled studies have shown a significant positive effect on a plants health + metabolism/growth - particularly in young plants - when common black lights have been used in conjunction with HID lighting.

Most black lights have a wave length of 300 to to 450 nanometers which puts them in the far blue/violet spectrum with most fixing in about 400 nanometers.

Far blue or UVA wavelengths - would be those produced by a rising sun.

So if you so desire - I recommend placing your black light in your chamber and timing it to come on 30 minutes before your other lights and turn off 30 minutes into your regular light cycle :hello:

2. How much difference are we talking about with and with out black lights ? Would it make any significant difference in small scale grow?

3. Just checked the different ranges of light in my new LED lamp and I like what I found

430nm (90 degree lens) - Focused Chlorophyll A Support
    460nm (90 degree lens) - Focused Chlorophyll B Support
    630nm (60/90 degree lens) - Focused/Intense Penetration Chlorophyll B Support
    660nm (60/90 degree lens) - Focused/Intense Penetration Chlorophyll A Support
    3000K (120 degree lens) - Wide dispersion auxiliary pigment support
    6500K (120 degree lens) - Wide dispersion auxiliary pigment support
    9000K (120 degree lens) - Wide dispersion auxiliary pigment support
    730nm IR (120 degree lens) - Helps regulate internode length and other metabolic functions, increases "Flavour" intensity and aromatics
    400-410nm UV (120 degree lens) - Growth regulator/sterilant

4. How much is that lamp Beeze? thats a serious piece of kit.

R076 - It is quite difficult to quantify - particularly when you account for all of the other factors which effect growth - We often talk about idyllic conditions - but even deciding what that is - can be controversial.

The impression that I got was that plants would be significantly more responsive to blue light in the morning - and whether or not you plan to actually use a black light - utilising this principal is simple and in theory - should boost your overall efficiency somewhat.

Black lights produce about twice the heat as an equivalent CFL, - but that's not really an issue if the light produced is of a very high PAR value.

As far as i can tell - Heat isn't a waste product in a cold climate - my thermostat maintains the temperature - if my room emits more heat - I burn less gas.

5. This LED is the absolute best value in LED that I have found, hands down.

I paid just under $300 for each light. I thought it would be nice to see a picture with lights on and off.

This model is a 380w (actual draw is 250 watts. I put it on a meter myself)

This light is unfortunately discontinued, but will be returning with a new model soon.

Attached Files:

6. Nice -You yankees get all the good kit first - for Example - there is no such thing as conversion bulbs in the UK - LED's are either imported from the US or China -

We even have to wait for movies - I just watched E.T. at our local cinema...