Black Jack seedlings help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Blaze2sweet, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Okay, so Its been a decade since I've grown. I feel like such a newbie. I guess I am cause all the stuff I'm using, I've never used before except the super thrive. Okay, so I ordered two five packs of black jack from buy Dutch seeds; I only germinated one pack. 100% germination within 18 hours, not bad. Then I put them in rapid rooter plugs. Next day, two out of five sprouted and the following day two more sprouted. Last one sprouted two days ago. Now here's the problem, I put them 20 inches under a 250w mh and was only dipping the plugs in a quart of distilled water with a ph of 6.0 with a drop of super thrive. They did great, then on day five I decided to mix things up a bit. I purchased complete hydroponics ferts. That's the name of the nutes I brought suposiably their out doing advance nutrients anyways I only added a drop of the root XL and a drop of the complezym two the quart of water still with a ph of 6.0 and discontinued the superthrive. The same day temps went up to about 88, so I decided to put a fan blowing towards them about three feet away just enough that you could see them vibrate. The next morning I checked on them and they looked nute burned, but now I'm confused because changed so many variables at once that I don't know the cause of the problem. I even had put them in coco cause the tap root had penatrated the bottom of the plugs. Can anyone help, please :-(

2. I'm trying to post pics but I figure it out where to attach them

3. plant them in your hydro , soil , coco , give them strait water for a while. you are killing them.

4. Just a few suggestions. The clear planters are a big big no no. No light to the roots or bad bad things will happen! Back off the nutes till the second week. Then 1/4 strength for a little while after 2 weeks and bump up from there. On the planters, at that size i would throw them in solo cups. Greats seedling or clone starting planter ever made. I would flush those and just a drop of super thrive every other water for a little bit

Sent from my C5155 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Not dogging you bro but what the fuck is that mucky soil? Looks like a fucking cow pie!

6. Thanks outlaw. Yeah, the clear containers can be a bit of a problem. I might just put some duct tape around them until they root out and then transplant them to another container. Snoop, the cow pie is actually straight up coco. When I transplanted the plugs, I thoroughly wet the coco and then let it drain out. I made 5 drain holes on the bottom of each container so it has drainage. I probably should have moved the coco around a bit so it would stay fluffy though it's advertised that coco has excellent oxygen to water retention so hopefully the cow pie is not an issue, lol. It's probably nute burn even though I didn't add any I did find that one of the products I use (B1) has traces of nitrogen. Today will be day three that I don't water them so I might wait till tomorrow or perhaps Tuesday to water again.

7. Right, yeah i would let them dry again and then hit them with just straight ph'd water for a bit. These are 3 weeks from seed 4 purple haze and 4 critical kush

Attached Files:

8. Dam it man, that's what I'm talking about. Nice work outlaw! Once I get my green thumb back in check, it'll be on like donkey kong, lol. Funny how spending 10 years without growing can do to a person, but like riding a bike I will be getting back on it again. I'll keep everyone posted as I don't see anyone with too many journals on black Jack. These nutes I'll be using in next couple of weeks are pharmaceutical grade, so hopefully the hydroman wasn't full of shit and I'll see some amazing results, of course this is with all variables aligned with one another.

9. Well i will sub up and watch as your grow comes together man and if ya need any help, i am more then willing to help anyway i can man

10. Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm pretty siked getting back into growing again. It's going to be pretty interesting to see how it all comes together with limited resources and space, so I'll be adding things as these girls grow up. Good thing is, I'm not looking to get any bigger than one 1000 maybe two after the first grow and I move to a bigger place with a little more privacy.

11. So here's my BlackJack 8 days later. Their starting to look better especially after hitting them two days ago with a light dose of nutes at 260ppm and putting a new 250w mh bulb in.

Attached Files:

12. Looking good blaze!!!!! Glad to see the tape around the pots! That will make a world of difference! Looks nice and green. You are on your way! On the one pic it looks like some of your roots are laying on top of the soil? Guessing from wash away due to water. Make sure to get those covered up my man! Remember those little dinky plants i was vegging???? Heres a pic update

Attached Files:

13. Dinky? They looked and are still looking on point man, lol. Their kicking ass! Yeah, that one pic that looks like roots is actually that coco fiber. I just put another 5 seeds to soak last night of the black Jack fems to germ at 6:30pm so I'll be checking on them later this evening to see if they germed. I actually wanted to save them for another time, but even though these are looking a lot better I want to see if this new batch will out perform the last one in the same amount of days. I pretty much have what might of went wrong with the last ones so I want to see if everything's on point if these will take off a lot faster or if it's just the strain that's a bit of a creeper at the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. So 23 hrs later and bam we're on the run. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1395179526.222706.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1395179551.876624.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1395179580.553813.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1395179607.103237.jpg

15. Everything is looking good. Glad to see things starting to roll!! I will be watching man

16. Oh, and it wasn't the paper napkin method I used to germ the seeds. I first scratched the outer shell with a knife to soften the shells and then I soaked them over night in RO water with a couple of drops of super thrive. Now their in their rapid rooter plugs and in a zip at 82 degree temp.

17. So far I have 3 sprouts out of the five I germinated last week. It's seems I have the answer to why my first set of five seedlings hit a bump in the road the first time around. I noticed that as soon as my first seedling sprouted, I went a head and placed it under the 250w mh as soon as I put the fan on within an hour the first true leaves withered and dried up. I left the make shift domes on the other two and their doing just fine. The one that the leaves dried up is starting to from web it's 2nd set. Good example of survival of the fitess if you ask me,lol. Another thing I noticed is no matter what they say about coco, flush it before using it. When I measure the run off on the coco I use, my ppms are at 400 without nutes. I'll be posting some new pics tomorrow on the new seedlings and the 3week old black Jack's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. I think I'll start up a better journal about this grow in another section and put together some better details being that it's a bit experimental I think a few answers to some questions can be learned from this little grow I'm doing, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. #20 pointswest, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    This soil mix looks like it is 100% coir. You need to make more soil with 25-30% of the mix consisting of a drainage amendment, then transplant to the new mix with the additional drainage. Take the Superthrive and put it into the trash, research from the most respected agricultural institutions in the US consistently report findings that there is no increase of rooting using this product, pure snake oil.

Take the ST money and purchase something useful for growth amendments. Put the other fertilizer away for a couple of weeks or you will burn these tiny seedlings up. A peat based mix is much easier to learn to grow than coir mixes and will give results as good or better as other type of growing. Your results will depend on your growing skills more than any other variable in the grow cycle.

PW